'No Items' after upgrade

solidus28

solidus28

I thought if fixed this after upgrading to 3.0.286, but I think I may have just happened to restart the server. My server updated to 3.0.5768.7 yesterday and emby would only launch with the No Items message. I upgraded to 286 and initially was met with the same message, but eventually got it to open, I just wasn't sure how. I didn't think too much of it until I went to watch TV tonight. I was again met with No Items. After 5 attempts, I logged into Emby Server and told it to restart. After the restart, emby for wmc opened normally again and I'm using it now. Anyone else experience this after the upgrade?

solidus28

Here are my logs.  If you look on 10/28 around 20:10, that's when I tried to start EMC from 192.168.0.9.  Server log was pretty big, so I zipped them up.  I also included the EMC logs from after the server restart when everything launched normally.  Thanks!

EmbyLogs.zip

The request for your top-level views timed out on the server and it may be related to this:

2015-10-28 20:10:45.2360 Warn - BaseItem: Unable to find linked item at path \\SERVER1\Multimedia\MOVIES\KUNG FU PANDA 2\KUNG_FU_PANDA_2.iso
2015-10-28 20:10:46.5955 Warn - BaseItem: Unable to find linked item at path \\SERVER1\Multimedia\MOVIES\KUNG FU PANDA\KUNG_FU_PANDA_AC.iso
2015-10-28 20:10:58.7676 Warn - BaseItem: Unable to find linked item at path \\SERVER1\Multimedia2\Movies\SILENCE OF THE LAMBS\SILENCEOFTHELAMBS.mkv
2015-10-28 20:11:00.1582 Warn - BaseItem: Unable to find linked item at path \\SERVER1\Multimedia2\Movies\MANHUNTER\MANHUNTER.mkv
2015-10-28 20:11:02.7989 Warn - BaseItem: Unable to find linked item at path \\SERVER1\Multimedia2\Movies\HANNIBAL RISING\HANNIBALRISING.mkv

If you use Auto box sets for your collections, then I would shut down the server and delete all the collections with "[MB Auto Set]" in their name. Then re-start the server and run a library scan and let Auto Box Sets recreate them.

If you created these manuallly, then you will need to re-build them with the proper paths.

solidus28

Thanks, ebr!  Where would I find the [MB Auto Set] in the name?  I do have Auto Box Sets enabled, so that could be it, just not sure where to look to remove that verbiage.  I don't believe I ever set any collections up manually, just let it do its thing.

solidus28

Happened again this morning.

I've attached my server log and to EMC logs when it came up with No Items.  This was around 8:50a in the logs.

Also attaching the EMC & Server log after I logged into Emby Server and selected restart.  Worked fine after that.  Those two logs are labeled as "Success".

Success-server-63581791947.txt

Success-MBClassic-3010201555c0db276f05470e8c29bc407c8ad240.log

server-63581782894.txt

MBClassic-301020154588744b9ae24faaa9cd6ae8ed22b617.log

MBClassic-30102015bbb9cd85e58a417bb2cb707c000272d7.log

Edited by solidus28

Again timed out trying to retrieve your top views.

Is there any anti-malware (like Avast) in play on the server machine?

solidus28

No, for better or worse, I'm not running security software on it.  Everything's been running great until the first time I tried it after the latest server update.  That's the only change that's been done in this environment.  Is this the log entry you're referring to?

2015-10-30 08:51:51.6868,Error,,Error getting response from http://192.168.0.2:8096/mediabrowser/Users/5d3bbf3914da55d3bed05187ffa55623/Views?format=Json ( Exception.  Type=System.Net.WebException Msg=The operation has timed out Src=System Method=GetResponse Line=0 Col=0 [n] StackTrace= [n]    at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse() [n]    at MediaBrowser.ApiInteraction.MbHttpClient.Get(String url) ),1,Application

It's the only one I see with the words timed out that I don't see in the successful log.  Or are you looking at the server?

Yes, that is the log entry.  The request for your top library items timed out so there is nothing to display.

Try this.

Re-start the server and confirm it is okay.

Then run a library scan and let it finish.

Now see if the problem occurs in EMC.

solidus28
Issue did not occur this time.  Here are the actions I took:

Shutdown HTPC

Logged into Emby Server Dashboard and clicked Restart.

Logged back into Emby Server Dashboard, went to Scheduled Tasks, and clicked Scan media library.

Completed in 14 minutes, 34 seconds

Booted HTPC back up and Launched EMC without issue.

Edited by solidus28

You skipped a step.  By "confirm it is okay" I meant go into EMC after the server re-start and before the library scan to be sure it was normal response.

Then run the scan and try again.

It's a wild stab but just something to try and pinpoint what is causing it.

solidus28

So, do you actually have an idea of what the cause may be?  Because you were right, that additional step appears to be critical.  After restarting the server, I can launch EMC successfully, but if I run a Library Scan after, EMC will no longer launch until I restart Emby Server again.  I ran through it twice just to make sure and it yielded the same results both times.  Thanks for helping through this!  Here's what I did this time:

Logged into Emby Server Dashboard and clicked Restart.
Booted up HTPC and launched EMC successfully.  Shutdown HTPC.
Logged back into Emby Server Dashboard, went to Scheduled Tasks, and clicked Scan media library.
Completed in 2 minutes and 44 seconds
Booted HTPC back up and EMC came up with No items.
Exited EMC and tried launching agains with No items.
Exited EMC.
Clicked Restart on Emby Server dashboard.
Launched EMC Successfully.
Exited EMC and launched EMC successfully again.  Exited EMC.
From Emby Server Dashboard, went to Scheduled Tasks, and clicked Scan media library.
Completed in 2 minutes and 42 seconds.
Launched EMC with No items.
Exited EMC and tried launching agains with No items.
Clicked Restart on Emby Server dashboard.
Launched EMC Successfully.

solidus28

Ok, glad to hear it's being worked :)  Should I bother upgrading to 3.0.5781.0 or just wait for a future release?  I don't think anything listed in the changelog directly impacts anything I would use.

revengineer

Just FYI, I am seeing This issue in the Web client and on Android. This suggests that it is indeed a server problem.

Dibbes

Ok, glad to hear it's being worked :)  Should I bother upgrading to 3.0.5781.0 or just wait for a future release?  I don't think anything listed in the changelog directly impacts anything I would use.

I seem to have an issue that may be the same (or related) after upgrading to the latest server (5781). MBC keeps on trying to log on and after a few minutes, it goes back to the WMC main screen. On the web dashboard it shows that WMC successfully logged on.

Once restarting the MediaBrowser service on the server, MBC logs on without issues. I see the same behaviour with the iOS and Android apps and also the webclient seems to hang for about 5 minutes before displaying anything. (Web dashboard responds immediately though)

Let me know if you need any logs

Edited by Dibbes

• 2 weeks later...
Mustang Dave

I am also having the issue, but have figured out if you change your content to anything other than Movie then the issue goes away, but that beats the point.  On mine, I did not notice if anyone else mentioned this, but my CPU spikes for a couple of minutes then drops and so does my memory usage.  Mine sits around 350,000 afterwards just for Emby is that normal?  And of course while all that is happening nothing shows in the library.  Once its done the library shows but, sometimes I have to close Emby or even WMC and reopen to see the movie content items.  Of course I did notice that as long as a scan was not running then all content was accessible with no delay on any Emby application.  So I deleted all other tasks and set the Scan library task to 10:45 PM, but the odd thing is that I have found it scanning when it should not be.