Question about TWC and Live TV options

lexisdude

lexisdude

Ok - I know that DRM / WMC / Tuner cards and plenty of other questions have cropped up on here in the past regarding the LiveTV options but I am wondering if there is some possible way to make this work for those of us that have Time Warner and do not have a Roku or other device that was specifically written in for the TWC TV app. 

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/tv/features/twc-tv.html

I have a HDHomeRun Prime tuner, cable card, tuner adapter and all works well through WMC / including all encryped and DRM content streams. And I have been patiently waiting to see Emby find the means to integrate WMC play-through to the server / or some hope that TWC DRM policies become more laxed for paying subscribers. Both my hopes appear to be in vain as I don't see either happening in reality. 

So TWC released an android APP which allows DRM playback through Roku, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Kindle, and some Smart TVs. The app requires logon to TWC through it - then plays DRM protected content through the app to current logged on subscribers. 

Is there a way that this can be integrated into Emby - as possibly a channel option rather than some full fledged Live TV controller?

That would make everything so much better for me. I hate having to switch back and forth between applications all the time.  :D

• 2 months later...
rarefc3s

This could be done I believe. TWC has an API and as you say, in Emby, it would be installed as a channel. Someone with more know how would need to work on it.

An option I'd like to see in the App would be TWC enabling Google Cast support into the app. If they did that you wouldn't need it as a channel in Emby and could get it from your app to your big screen with a $35 Chromecast - cheaper than Roku, XBOX. If it was a channel in Emby, Emby supports google cast so that would be a positive. That would also give access to the On-Demand service and I might skip recording TV all together.

Good info on their app here:

http://qz.com/390471/time-warner-cable-customers-throw-your-cable-box-out-the-window/

Koleckai Silvestri

I don't think the app can be integrated into Emby. It would live alongside Emby. That is what we do in my house. We have Emby, Netflix, TWC and Hulu all installed on the Rokus and Computers so they are all available in every room of the house.

Actually, this could be a channel plugin. It is entirely possible those with time warner cable can make use of it too.

http://genres.timewarnercable.com/api/services?format=json

This endpoint is open. The rest have to be done behind the modem of the customer.

https://github.com/BigBri41/TWCTVWindowsPhone/blob/master/TWCTVWindowsPhone/TWCWindowsPhonePivot/Classes/TWCStuff/TWC/OVP/Services/LiveTVService.cs

This has some interesting endpoints to use. This would require someone with access to twctv to develop it. Maybe even @@BigBri41 ?

Edited by speechles

rarefc3s

I messed around with the app more last night since I had never really used it. When I am connected to my network - when the app knows I am at home - it loads nearly the full guide of channels I am subscribed too and if it shows you a channel then you can tune and view that channel. Testing was done on an Android phone. They haven't released the App for Android TV, though I am sure someone will tell me I can sideload it.

The tricky part, as @@ebr has pointed out, is always that the player - in this case Emby - has to be able to play DRM. I've yet to fool around with external players in Emby but know the option exist.

Edited by rarefc3s

• 4 months later...
lexisdude

Just as an added note. The ROKU has the TWC channel added through it's lineup

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/23048/time-warner-cable

So it appears that the TWC app is more or less handling the DRM decrypt and the ROKU is just acting as an interface. It appears that the majority of channels are available through the roku for TWC. If this is the case; couldn't emby do the same directly by using the same methods to inteface with the TWC app? Because of my setup I am satisfied with the EMBY interface and my ability to DVR my shows from TWC through WMC - but sure would be an awesome day if emby could interface with the TWC app at least for live show streams ; so I wouldn't have to switch back and forth from one platform to the other. If need be I could buy a ROKU to get this done - but that would add yet another platform layer and that's not what I would like to see; too many remotes on my coffee table as it is :D

Edited by lexisdude

If this is the case; couldn't emby do the same directly by using the same methods to inteface with the TWC app? 

No, I'm afraid not.  DRM stands for "Digital Rights Management" and the whole point of it is to keep control of the content with the content owner and who they specifically grant (read as: sell) the rights to access it.

It would be possible but only by owning a roku. You could run a schedule/guide on emby that aligns with what the TWC app offers. When you click into that, it correlates to one of the 300 or so channels the TWC app allows. Then via deep-linking behavior you can have that roku download the TWC app if it didnt already have it. Afterwards TWC app opens and uses the parameters the emby app has sent to the TWC app and starts that program. This is only possible if TWC allows deep-linking. If it does, the emby roku app would have to have new parts written to hand off control to the TWC app. So technically, yes, it is possible, but only if, and thats a big if, TWC app allows deep-linking. It is not possible all inside the roku emby app. The DRM ebr mentions above makes this require the TWC app to have control.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

Koleckai Silvestri

It would be possible but only by owning a roku. You could run a schedule/guide on emby that aligns with what the TWC app offers. When you click into that, it correlates to one of the 300 or so channels the TWC app allows. Then via deep-linking behavior you can have that roku download the TWC app if it didnt already have it. Afterwards TWC app opens and uses the parameters the emby app has sent to the TWC app and starts that program. This is only possible if TWC allows deep-linking. If it does, the emby roku app would have to have new parts written to hand off control to the TWC app. So technically, yes, it is possible, but only if, and thats a big if, TWC app allows deep-linking. It is not possible all inside the roku emby app. The DRM ebr mentions above makes this require the TWC app to have control.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Or Roku owners can simply tap Home and load the TWC App. Works wonders. You're not going to be able to record or do anything else in LiveTV within Emby anyway.

• Like 1

lexisdude

Yes; I know that it's possible through a Roku ;  and I have weighed that option but just don't want to have another platform in the mix.

I am not a programmer; so this would have to be answered by someone more skilled than I am:  

If lets say the TWC TV app was running in the background - there would not be a way to make an interface from emby to this application then just integrate/layer the video feed focus into the emby window for presentation of the feed? I know that TWC TV APP would have to handle all the DRM decoding but once that is taken care of the video feed should be unlocked to the source PC shouldn't it? Again; I apologize if the question sounds strange; I just do not know enough for what is possible and what is not - other than the fact that the DRM cannot be handled directly by Emby itself.

lexisdude

Here's an interesting thought. For TWC subscribers ; https://video2.timewarnercable.com/liveTv  - this link opens up an embeded flashplayer video window in any browser. It has quite a few channels - including DRM decrypted content. Could this somehow be integrated into EMBY - not altered just integrate the whole thing as a "channel"? 

Edited by lexisdude

Is it actually really Flash...?

Haven't most modern browsers dropped support for that?

lexisdude

It appears that is the player they are using.

1. ownerDocument:document
    1. FlashVideoPlayer0:object#FlashVideoPlayer0
      1. __proto__:Object
        1. constructor:()
          1. arguments:null
          2. caller:null
          3. length:0
          4. name:""
          5. prototype:Object
          6. __proto__:()
          7. <function scope>
        2. __proto__:Object