Using the app via XBox 360 extender

ncarty97

ncarty97

So, I've still been using MB2 on my HTPC since it works just fine, but I thought I'd try out the Emby WMC app as a way to play my collection via the XBox360.  The good news is that it does seem to work.  The bad news is that the quality is pretty bad.  Its obviously transcoding, which is fine.  After fixing an issue on my Roku, Emby works fine there and the quality of the transcoding is just fine.  So, is there some tweaking I need to do to get the quality up on the 360 or this pretty much a no-go?  I also noticed that when Emby comes up, there is a inch board around the whole thing, even when the movie is playing.

Sounds like you need to make sure that:

1) You either used UNC paths when defining your library or setup path substitution to UNC Paths and

2) The special Windows user created by Windows when running an extender session has access to those paths and

3) The content being played is actually playable by the 360 (not everything playable by the host machine is also playable by the 360)

• Like 1

ncarty97

Sounds like you need to make sure that:

1) You either used UNC paths when defining your library or setup path substitution to UNC Paths and

2) The special Windows user created by Windows when running an extender session has access to those paths and

3) The content being played is actually playable by the 360 (not everything playable by the host machine is also playable by the 360)

Thanks ebr.  

1) UNC is \\server\videos\ etc., right?   That's what it uses.

2) They play so it does have access

3) Isn't the point of the way Emby works is that it will transcode anything that wouldn't play natively?  The video I tested (Wreck it Ralph) plays, its just compressed so badly that it looks terrible.  It looks fine on my Roku 1, which I would think isn't as capable as the Xbox 360 (IE so it shouldn't have to compress as much).

Also, any idea on why I have that blue frame around only Emby and the video its playing?  Its like the resolution is set at 90% of what WMC is running at or something.

Thanks!

Emby for WMC was never designed to transcode and stream although it will do it in a pinch and, if that's whats happening, then that means that the user running the 360 extender session probably cannot access the media locations.  The fact they play back does not mean the access is setup properly.  The fact the quality is very bad tells me that the locations cannot be accessed so it is transcoding and streaming them instead.

Do some searching for setting up proper access with the 360.  The way that extender technology works is actually via an RDP session using a hidden user account.  That hidden user account must have access to the media locations and, since it is hidden, you don't know what the password is so you pretty much have to grant access to "Everyone" for it to work.

• Like 1

ncarty97

Thanks,  I'll see about just granting access to everyone.  I saw that big guide someone wrote for getting MKV/MP4 will give that a shot

• 2 weeks later...
ab123ga

@ncarty... My primary use for Emby is /w Xboxes. I spent hours trying to figure out what worked best for me @ home since that is the primary use. I have folks who access my system via Emby or Plex and since they would likely transcode, did not care much about what format I chose as it relates to external users. This plan does not work for most but what I did was convert all of my movies to a WTV format. The reason I did this is because it is native to the xboxes and the only one that gave me surround sound and maintained the quality of the movies on xbox. The only negative I've found with this is WTV requires a higher bit rate to maintain a good quality picture. Example: If you have a movie with a bitrate of 3000MB/s, you will need something above 6000MB/s or you will get pixilation. Takes up more disk space.  

Maybe something else would have worked but all the testing I did, this is what came up for me. Again...may not work for most but works perfect for me.