Live TV not very stable for me what tweaks can I make

tre4b

I had been worrying myself about being able to record live TV but actually it seems I have a bigger problem.  I am really struggling to get the EPG to fill with data.   I keep trying the Fire TV app, going to Live TV and it finds nothing, no channels, no program guide nothing.  Sometimes it finds just Channels.

Even if it does find the program guide it shows me a list of the channels with no data in both FTV and web.  I can fix this by going into the server and telling it to run the Guide scheduled event.  Then both the web and FTV applications find programs and work okay...until the next time.

Couple this with the situation where recording from the guide causes NPVR to do the recording despite having no NPVR app loaded and I start to wonder if my installation is a little mucked up.

Any ideas would help.  I've still not got it to a point where I am comfortable enough to let my wife use it  ;-)

the guide refresh scheduled task needs to run on the server. if you have your emby server up and running all the time, this should be just happening on it's own. if you don't, then you might want to click in to the task to change the schedule. also, you could try the built-in live tv as it doesn't require an external application, which adds another layer of complexity.

The server is running all the time, although the box may go to sleep at times.  I'm also just using the built-in Live TV since I bought my HD Homerun, or I thought I was.  Prior to that though I was using the Next PVR pluggin, but I removed it.

we'll probably have to test the going to sleep scenario with scheduled tasks. maybe that's killing the timers.

I'm off on a trip for a bit but when I get back I will disable the sleep for a bit and see if it becomes more stable.  All other aspects of the box wake okay and timers work fine on the npvr that is also on the box so if it is using system timers that should be okay.  If I can help in anyway debug this let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay the box is now set to stay on and I will see what impact that has however I am pretty convinced that this is a problem.

While I was in Germany I was able to stream UK TV which was great, however before I could do so I needed to do a refresh on the Guide and then a restart on the server.  After that it would reliably work and reliably recorded programs that were on while I was watching i.e. the box was definitely running.

what do you mean? if the box is always on then the refresh operation will run on it's own. if it's not always on, then when you startup it will run if needed. the sleep and resume scenario is the one that needs to be looked at.

The box has been running NPVR for a number of years and was set to sleep, in fact even to hibernate.  With this setting I could never use Emby right off the bat.  The guide would never fill, it would often not do more than show the times at the top of the program.  Sometimes it would part fill and on FireTV normally just hung.  I found by doing the above everything would work effectively.  The refresh of the guide alone did not seem to resolve the issue, nor did just a reset on its own.  Both together and I could access every time.

I've now set my box to not sleep in an attempt to figure out if this is what is causing the issue.  If it works okay from here then I will know for sure.