Metadata Questions

Teddy
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

I did a fresh Emby Server and I was surprised that the structure of the metadata of the films has changed.

Before each movie had a movie.xml movie file in the same directory with the backdrops, logo, disk were ....
Now after new installation Emby server, metadata are created a directory called fanart and movie.xml file does not exist.
If there has been any change, do you advise to erase all previous movie.xml metadata server backdrops ... and Emby will refreh with the new structure?.
I liked it better before without that extrafanart directory but if there have been changes will be for some reason.

PD. I'm using Emby for WMC , no Kodi .

Edited by Teddy

It is just to align with the way other products do it.

There is no reason to delete your existing metadata.  We'll still read it and use it if it is there.

Thanks for answer ebr, but if I need manually modify the information of movies.xml, where is it?

The advantage of movie.xml file in each directory is that if the disk with the operating system breaks down or a fresh O.S installation is done, Emby server will read information from that file even TMDB is down or closed.

In my case I will not miss that information because the movies are in Raid 5 towers.

Anyway, is there any way to force Emby Server also create movie.xml in each directory of movies?

Edited by Teddy

i would advise not to change anything with your metadata files. our default format is no longer xml, it is nfo. if you want to save in xml, then head over to the plugin catalog and install xml saver plugin under metadata

Happy2Play

i would advise not to change anything with your metadata files. our default format is no longer xml, it is nfo. if you want to save in xml, then head over to the plugin catalog and install xml saver plugin under metadata

@@Luke - Doesn't that only apply to the Dev release right now? 

Have you looked at Metadata-Services and gone through each library type?

561858aeafd62_metadata.png

For images you can change them back if you wish in system.xml (imagesavingconvention).

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/25794-fresh-install-some-metadata-changes-questions/?hl=imagesavingconvention&do=findComment&comment=250902

Edited by Happy2Play

Luke I instaleed the xml plugin but nothing changes, the xml file is yet missing.

The only metadata saver available is for NFO. (In prior versions was NFO and XML)

I need to configure something in the plugin?

you're fine. installing the plugin does just that, it only installs the plugin. now, going forward, when new metadata is downloaded, it will save in xml

Happy2Play ,

I modified the system.xml , and changed Compatible for Legacy but doesn't work , after the change remains as only Metadata Saver NFO.

Maybe it worked with prior Server versions but not now with the last one.

• Solution

Here's the thing - you only need to spend time with this if you care about what file names the images save with, and whether the metadata is nfo or xml. if you don't care about these things, then just trust the server defaults and you'll be fine.

• Like 1

Sorry Luke, but after add a new movie the movie.xml is yet missing.

I'm in the last server Version 3.0.5724.6

Anyway you are right, the NFO file has all the information that I need in case of problems and can also edit it like XML, and if the future is the NFO then I'll use it and forget XML.

Thanks for your fantastic support

Edited by Teddy