Running Windows 10....

whitman27

whitman27

I know with windows 7 and 8.1 there was a need for codecs to play MKV files thru any type of player.

Does Windows 10 eliminated this need going forward? 

I am running emby server with with windows 7 and a PC that I built to play the media from the server.  I have found recently that all of my files thru Emby Theatre are out of sync, but if I go to a TV with a Roku attached and play the files thru the Emby App everything is fine. 

I have tried a fresh OS install and installed the codecs, and updated the drivers but nothing seems to fix this issue for me.  So something on my end changed, I can't figure out exactly what it is, so my first thought is Windows 10 and installing it as I have a copy at my disposal for this PC.

Thoughts or help?

Whit

Koleckai Silvestri

You will always need codecs. The OS will just provide some by default. The native video app on Windows 10 does play videos in MKV containers. At least it plays h.264 video without problems. I don't know about h.265 or other formats.

The Emby App on Windows 10 has a problem playing videos that need transcoding currently. These could have a perfectly fine video stream but need transcoding for the audio or subtitles. Other clients do not have the same problem.

I personally can't use Emby Theater. It rarely plays back video with any confidence or quality.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

whitman27

Ok so then more than likely my issues lay with in the codecs I am installing when I do the fresh install of the OS.

Is there a guide on here for the best codecs to install and how to install them for Emby?

Whit

Koleckai Silvestri

I have never installed anything but the packages installed by the Emby clients themselves. I know that Theater installs the LAV codec pack as part of its process.

Vicpa

Hi,

The Win 10 app will play natively mp4,mkv with h264,h265 and any audio except DTS. No codecs required. Transcoding was/is broken. a fix should be coming through the store anytime now.

Koleckai Silvestri

Hi,

The Win 10 app will play natively mp4,mkv with h264,h265 and any audio except DTS. No codecs required. Transcoding was/is broken. a fix should be coming through the store anytime now.

There are still codecs involved. The app is just using the codecs native to the OS instead of requiring third-party codecs. There will always be codecs. Codecs can be accessed in three ways. They can be provided by the OS and accessed by all apps on that platform. They can be integrated into the application which is the method that VLC uses on some platforms. Finally they can be provided by third parties and loaded by the OS. Systems like Xvid and DivX use the later.