Upgrade to FTV2 - now app "expired"

cgrey000

cgrey000

Just installed my new FireTV 2 to replace one of my old sticks.

Synced my amazon content, downloaded Emby to the new device, app is "expired" and wants me to buy it again.

Is it not possible to use it on the new device without buying it again?

Edited by cgrey000

It should be but I'm not sure exactly what the process is with Amazon.  You may need to actually attempt to purchase it and it will tell you you already own it.

cgrey000

Didn't work. Went to purchase the app again, I was told I already own it. Still locked in the UI.

I'm uploading a video, will edit this post with a link once it's done.

Cleared app data/cache if it matters...

Edit: removed video, it has some personally identifying information. @@ebr, if you want/need to see it, I can PM you a direct link..

Edited by cgrey000
  • Like 1

The only thing I can think of is that, for some reason, while the purchase works, the verification process with Amazon does not.  

I can see in our account several people unlocking the app over the past several days so it must somehow be something isolated as opposed to a global issue.

I'm going to implement something that may work around this for you though, so, if you are willing to try a beta to see if it does, PM me the email address for the Amazon account associated with the device.  Be sure that marketing communications AND invitations are enabled for that account as well.

• Like 1

cgrey000

The only thing I can think of is that, for some reason, while the purchase works, the verification process with Amazon does not.  

I can see in our account several people unlocking the app over the past several days so it must somehow be something isolated as opposed to a global issue.

I'm going to implement something that may work around this for you though, so, if you are willing to try a beta to see if it does, PM me the email address for the Amazon account associated with the device.  Be sure that marketing communications AND invitations are enabled for that account as well.

Always willing to try a beta. I *may* already be in the program from way long ago... Either way, PM with email address is on the way..

cgrey000

To close the loop on this - @@ebr worked with me via PM to get this resolved. As usual, awesome support... Getting closer and closer to moving to the native FTV client for day-to-day usage.

Going to move the 2nd Gen FTV to a room where I have a DD capable receiver to see if the new FTV is behaving any differently on that front. I think there's been at least one thread here that dives in to whether the new FTV handles passthrough, but honestly haven't had the time to dive in.

DD is disabled on our app right now because it doesn't work at all on the FTV.  Hoping the coming updates to the platform will resolve that.

DTS and aac will play as 5.1 though.

One other thing I've noticed about this box - the images are much crisper than my Nexus Player.  Maybe that is the same as the 1st gen or maybe that is due to graphics chip improvements on this box to support 4k but it is noticeably better looking than the NP on the same 1080p plasma.

cgrey000

DD is disabled on our app right now because it doesn't work at all on the FTV.  Hoping the coming updates to the platform will resolve that.

DTS and aac will play as 5.1 though.

One other thing I've noticed about this box - the images are much crisper than my Nexus Player.  Maybe that is the same as the 1st gen or maybe that is due to graphics chip improvements on this box to support 4k but it is noticeably better looking than the NP on the same 1080p plasma.

Well, that answers my question about DD :)

Still, think I'm going to move it based on what you said about PQ. I've only got it hooked up to a small-ish (32" 720p) TV for now. I'll let you know if it looks any different than the 1st-gen on the 60" 1080p plasma. Really crossing my fingers that progress can be made (generally speaking) on changing the refresh rate. I've seen some threads elsewhere that seem to indicate all the pieces are in place to support 24p, just needs some refinement and putting it all together.