Streaming Active Recordings

lenard.furr

lenard.furr

I am using Emby and NextPVR to record and watch my TV shows.  Using an NVidia Shield Android TV to playback.  I am able to watch recordings and live TV just fine (although booting them up is a little slow), my problem is recordings that are actively recording.  Say I start recording a show at 7 and I want to skip all over all the commercials so I don't start watching until 7:15.  When I play back through the Android TV client, it will sit and try to load indefinitely.  If I try to play back through a PC client, it will start playing, however, it only sees the recording as 15 minutes and will stop playback after 15 minutes.  It does not update the time and effectively catch up to live TV.  

Am I doing something wrong?  Or is this just the way it works?

I believe this is a limitation with the way Emby works with in-progress recordings. Hopefully Sven/Luke etc have some plan to fix it in future.

Edited by sub3

• 2 years later...
rkernbob

Anybody have success with the "Attempt to use VLC for live TV" or "Use External Player for Live TV" to address this?  I've tried selecting them in the Emby Android TV app settings and have VLC installed but it still seems to use the default player no matter what combination of settings I try.  If I direct VLC to the active recording file it seems to play just fine, which works but I hate to use 2 different programs and VLC doesn't have a very good user interface.  I've had some success getting VLC to work through Kodi with a playercorefactory.xml file but it seems to disable fastforward/rewind functions when I call VLC through Kodi (works fine when running VLC separately though).  I was hoping Emby would have this fixed but looks like I might be better off just going back to Kodi and figuring out how to get VLC to work with it.  

As with the original poster I am running a NextPVR backend on a Windows 8 machine and NVidia Shield Android TV with Emby for the frontend.  

I use this functionality all the time on my Roku's - Iv reported in other posts.  On the Roku - if watched from the recordings tab from the nextpvr plugin, they play until they 'catch up' to the point of time I clicked play (i.e 1 hour show, starting at 6:30, at 6:45 I start to watch it, but after 15 mins, I have to restart from the beginning i.e it does not remember where I was up too).  With all my FF of ads etc that can be very quick - bit of a pain but no biggie to me. 

If I use an emby library view over the actual files however, they will resume after they stop with the catch up which is much better but you dont have all the metadata stuff from the guide with this method.  The emby mibrray seems to handle this much better.

I use both methods, depending on what mood I am in.  This only happens each night with the news - everything else is watched days later.

This is not a criticism of emby at all - ages back I could not watch in progress shows at all on Emby - so a step in the right direction, just not yet caught up with Windows Media Centre that had a true chase play feature.

Currently you can only seek what the player has buffered. In a future update we'll improve this to allow you to seek everything that has been recorded immediately . Thanks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone on the beta, the new plugin method is worse - cant view at all now - but the emby library over the nextPVR folders is still working the best as I described above. 

As I dont use Live TV, Unless the plugin gets nicer, I see no point in using it - may as well use the emby library.

The library view button looks nicer, and also seems to have more thumbnails that the nextPVR downloader gets. 

If someone could fix the press * and 'sort options' - as the 'date added' still puts some old stuff newer for some reason.  I just want the newest at the top.