VLC intermittent issues on Nexus Player

kefler

When it came out, I started using VLC as the player on my Nexus Player, which is wired 1Gb ethernet via a USB OTG cable and USB Ethernet adapter.  I liked that I could get DolbyDigital & no transcoding, but I often encountered two types of problems about every 2-3 shows.  First, after pausing the audio/video would get badly out of sync.  A single skip back in time would sync them up usually.  Second, and this is the more difficult one, the player would seem to 'crash' where the video would just freeze on one frame with audio still working.  OSD would still pop up and work, but video would get stuck.  This usually happened after pausing or skipping around.  The only way out of this for me was to fully exit the show.  

I just went back to transcoding and things are quite a lot more stable.  Anyone else have problems with the VLC player on the nexus player and/or any ways to work around it?  I'm currently on 3.0.5724.5 server and 1.1.05g player.

CBers

I use the internal VLC player for all of my playback, including 1080, and don't have an issue, other than not getting DD pass-through to my TV.

What is your bitrate setting set to, Auto?

Yes, I can confirm these types of issues with the VLC player when you do a lot of skipping around.  Hopefully updates to VLC will fix it in the future.

With bitrate=auto it was very frequent.  When I dropped the bitrate to 15Mbps it got a lot better, but still happened every few shows.   

OK Cool, I'll monitor for any VLC updates .. I'm fine transcoding as I built my server  for that purpose.   

With bitrate=auto it was very frequent.  When I dropped the bitrate to 15Mbps it got a lot better, but still happened every few shows.   

That's because transcodes don't use VLC.

dougw03

I came here to post the same issues. The problems are especially bad with Live TV and transcoding and are likely exacerbated by the fact I'm on (802.11ac 80MHz) Wi-Fi. Right now my server is on a wired connection, but I'll likely need to go wireless in the near future with my main client on a wired connection. Is there any hope for me in this situation or is wired ethernet really necessary (even without transcoding) for both server and client?

That's because transcodes don't use VLC.

oh, so setting the bitrate lower simply caused it to not use VLC more often I guess?   Makes sense.

Dougw03, I didn't have much luck the short time I was on wifi.  But at a 21Mbps rate w/ VLC turned off, everything is pretty stable when wired.  I recommend it.  

• 4 weeks later...

When it came out, I started using VLC as the player on my Nexus Player, which is wired 1Gb ethernet via a USB OTG cable and USB Ethernet adapter.  I liked that I could get DolbyDigital & no transcoding, but I often encountered two types of problems about every 2-3 shows.  First, after pausing the audio/video would get badly out of sync.  A single skip back in time would sync them up usually.  Second, and this is the more difficult one, the player would seem to 'crash' where the video would just freeze on one frame with audio still working.  OSD would still pop up and work, but video would get stuck.  This usually happened after pausing or skipping around.  The only way out of this for me was to fully exit the show.  

I just went back to transcoding and things are quite a lot more stable.  Anyone else have problems with the VLC player on the nexus player and/or any ways to work around it?  I'm currently on 3.0.5724.5 server and 1.1.05g player.

Just wanted to report that I'm having the same issue, similar configuration (wired ethernet via USB adapter).  Playback is fine (direct streaming) but once you pause and then resume the audio/video is out of sync.  

I've concluded that the client is not ready yet for prime time (read: WAF) and now running Kodi with the Emby Plugin on the NP. Which works perfectly of course, yet a lot more configuration required and missing the Emby UI flair.

• 1 month later...
Deihmos

I notice the same issue when I installed the android tv app on the nexus. Every time you rewind or ff too often the image freezes while audio continues to play. 

Unfortunately, the Google platform seems to have a lot more trouble with these types of things than the Fire.  Hopefully, it will improve with time.