Live TV not working on Fire OS

revengineer

revengineer

I did some more testing with the Amazon app on my Fire TV Stick and the new Kindle Fire HD 10. On both devices playing movies works just fine. However, I cannot get Live TV to play on either device. The stick will not show any TV content and errors out with com.android.volley Timeout. On the Kindle Fire, the content will show but live TV will not start. In either case, memory usage on the server shoots through the roof: 1.8 GB tonight, that's a record. I will leave this overnight to see whether it comes back down or whether this is a leak. In any case, log is attached. I did the TV testing at ~7:45 pm = 19:45 in the logs. If someone could take a look and respond that would be great. TIA

EDIT: It took a while, but 20 min later memory usage is back to 700 MB, which is fairly common for my setup.

server-63579513600.txt

Edited by revengineer

What are the specifics of your Live TV setup?  What provider?  What hardware?  What kind of TV service?

Does it work in the web client?

I just now brought up Live TV on my testing FTV Stick using the built-in Emby TV and HDHR tuner.

Also - this app should not be available on your Kindle Fire.  How did you get it on there?

revengineer

This is comcast cable with ~400 channels accessed via 3-tuner HDHomerun CC. It works fine on webclient and android app. Just the Amazon app has these issue. Is it the large number of channels that cause the problem? Did the logs show anything?

As for the Kindle Fire, I went to the built in store, searched for emby, and installed it. It works for movies, please don't withdraw.

As for the Kindle Fire, I went to the built in store, searched for emby, and installed it. It works for movies, please don't withdraw.

And you're sure it is the FTV app and not the mobile one?

Using just the built-in Live TV functionality and no external service or plug-in right?

The channels aren't encrypted, correct?

I couldn't find any access by a FTV Stick in that server log.

revengineer

And you're sure it is the FTV app and not the mobile one?

That's a good question. I assumed that it is the Fire TV app because it was downloaded on the Kindle Fire app store. The apps look very similar. How can I tell difference?

Vidman

Actually the mobile and TV apps look and operate very differently

For a start the TV app works with a remote whereas the mobile app is touch only

Edited by Vidman

revengineer

Using just the built-in Live TV functionality and no external service or plug-in right?

The channels aren't encrypted, correct?

I couldn't find any access by a FTV Stick in that server log.

Correct, it's all built-in TV functionality. No plugins in use. I know I can only view unencrypted channels.

On the Fire TV stick, I do not even get to select anything. The content shows the dotted circles and the word loading at the top. After a while, I get that com.android.volley timeout error.

On the Kindle Fire HD, I just got tv program to show when selecting the program from the main live TV screen. This did not work yesterday. I have seen rebooted the device. Maybe this is related to what I see on my android phone, where once in a while I have to use the task manager to quit the app and restart it before it will work properly. What definitely does not work is selecting a TV program through the guide.

That the log does not show any Fire TV access is puzzling since in addition to the TV testing I also watched a 30 minute portion of a movie on that device just prior to the testing.

revengineer

Actually the mobile and TV apps look and operate very differently

For a start the TV app works with a remote whereas the mobile app is touch only

ok, good point. It works with touch. However, the settings dialog is just like the Fire TV app where I can choose the d-pad entry method. The settings on my android phone look fundamentally different, I see a bunch of colored circles labeled "Display settings" etc. Maybe the easiest way to tell is the version number which on the Kindle Fire HD is 1.1.04a.

ok, good point. It works with touch. However, the settings dialog is just like the Fire TV app where I can choose the d-pad entry method. The settings on my android phone look fundamentally different, I see a bunch of colored circles labeled "Display settings" etc. Maybe the easiest way to tell is the version number which on the Kindle Fire HD is 1.1.04a.

Okay, it looks like Amazon changed some defaults and the last version was accidentally published to the store on the Fire tablets.

Correct, it's all built-in TV functionality. No plugins in use. I know I can only view unencrypted channels.

On the Fire TV stick, I do not even get to select anything. The content shows the dotted circles and the word loading at the top. After a while, I get that com.android.volley timeout error.

On the Kindle Fire HD, I just got tv program to show when selecting the program from the main live TV screen. This did not work yesterday. I have seen rebooted the device. Maybe this is related to what I see on my android phone, where once in a while I have to use the task manager to quit the app and restart it before it will work properly. What definitely does not work is selecting a TV program through the guide.

That the log does not show any Fire TV access is puzzling since in addition to the TV testing I also watched a 30 minute portion of a movie on that device just prior to the testing.

Then we are simply timing out trying to get Live TV information from your server.

When testing with the web client are you using a machine other than the one running the server?

revengineer

Okay, it looks like Amazon changed some defaults and the last version was accidentally published to the store on the Fire tablets.

Please let me know when this is fixed so I can uninstall reinstall the app.

revengineer

Then we are simply timing out trying to get Live TV information from your server.

When testing with the web client are you using a machine other than the one running the server?

Yes I am using a machine different from the server to access TV via Web client. It also works on my android phone.

Please let me know when this is fixed so I can uninstall reinstall the app.

When what is fixed?

I mean when the correct app is in the app store.

The other one should be there too already.

revengineer

ok, I found emby for android. I now have the problem that I cannot unlock the app with my supporter membership. The Fire is connected to the home LAN where the emby server resides. Any suggestions?