Assume unknown seasons to be Season 1

ctrlaltdefeat

ctrlaltdefeat

App: Emby Server

Currently, if it is not known what season episodes are from, they are listed under "NameSeasonUnknown".

As I have a lot of shows that only have one season, I don't want to put the episodes in a season folder. Which has the result that a lot of episodes are in "NameSeasonUnknown".

I'd like the option to assume unknown seasons to be Season 1.

Edited by ctrlaltdefeat
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
ctrlaltdefeat

They don't have to be in a season folder.  They would just have to have "S01" in the name.

In case of anime, they don't have that either.. As anime doesn't work with seasons.. (and since Emby doesn't support 'just' using no seasons at all...)

Anime is a whole different animal that needs special handling in a lot of areas so, if that is specifically what this request is for it is really a different thing.

In the specific situation you are dealing with it makes sense to make the assumption that an unknown season is season 1.  However, in many more, it would not (like an improperly named episode that would then get hidden within season 1 and not necessarily be obvious and/or conflict with an existing episode).

That's why I mentioned the fact that a season folder wasn't necessary which was the particular thing you had pointed out originally.

ctrlaltdefeat

Anime is a whole different animal that needs special handling in a lot of areas so, if that is specifically what this request is for it is really a different thing.

In the specific situation you are dealing with it makes sense to make the assumption that an unknown season is season 1.  However, in many more, it would not (like an improperly named episode that would then get hidden within season 1 and not necessarily be obvious and/or conflict with an existing episode).

That's why I mentioned the fact that a season folder wasn't necessary which was the particular thing you had pointed out originally.

I took it broad(not limited to anime) because I figured this might come in handy for non-anime shows too.

Could it perhaps be set per top level folder to use "Season 1" as name for unknown shows? This way this could be set to anime only and if it's prefered to non-anime as well.

Deathsquirrel

Note that Anime absolutely can be split into seasons.  That's how thetvdb site handles it.  Each series is treated as a season and things like movies go into the specials folder.

Other sources of metadata may handle it differently of course.

ctrlaltdefeat

Note that Anime absolutely can be split into seasons.  That's how thetvdb site handles it.  Each series is treated as a season and things like movies go into the specials folder.

Other sources of metadata may handle it differently of course.

I'd honestly rather jump off a cliff than use tvdb to order my anime library.. Their structure is illogical and changed depending on the allignment of the planets.

I follow AniDB and there are no seasons there

EDIT:

People that do follow tvdb would be able to just not turn the setting on, if it were an option per top level folder :)

Edited by ctrlaltdefeat

Deathsquirrel

I'd honestly rather jump off a cliff than use tvdb to order my anime library.. Their structure is illogical and changed depending on the allignment of the planets.

I follow AniDB and there are no seasons there

EDIT:

People that do follow tvdb would be able to just not turn the setting on, if it were an option per top level folder :)

Sure and I feel exactly the opposite.  I tried the anidb plugin and absolutely loathed the results.  There doesn't have to be a right or wrong there.

That said, the dev team is generally against providing options that most people won't use or that would be confusing.  If this is really about anime I'd suggest asking for a Anime library type with appropriate media processing rules as a native function and provide some details on what that might look like in your opinion.