VLANS & transcoding

matrixserver

matrixserver

I hope I'm not repeating a post anywhere. I looked and have not found any discussions around this subject. I have a network at home comprised of Esxi servers attached to iscsi storage and an Unraid box to hold all my media files. Servers, iscsi storage & Unraid, LAN, DMZ and WAN are in different subnets with pfsense routing between subnets. My question, if I have my Emby server in my DMZ and someone on my LAN streams a video, will Emby transcode just because the server and client are on separate subnets? I intend to use the Nvidia Shield as my LAN streaming box (just ordered). thanks in advance!

matrixserver

Luke, thanks for the quick response!!! I have one related question.  I wish to change the IP address/vlan of my unraid. If I change any IP addresses in my library setup will Emby have to start over with a new database, even if the content is identical? I should point out that I do not keep any IP info (kodi) in my nfo files. 

Edited by matrixserver

it will be new content, yes, but if you use local metadata files in your media folders then that process will be much faster