Recording from the Guide in Live TV

tre4b

I have a couple of challenges with recording live TV.  If I select record from the guide I get either a hang (web version) or a message unable to record on the FireTV version.  I guessed this might be something to do with the recording directory and have tried changing but still I get the same problem.

I'm currently using NPVR for the live TV and although I have just unboxed an HDHomerun I think I will have to continue to do so as Emby's only guide is shedulesdirect and you cannot use that in the UK :-(  

I guess this comes done to whether the stream is being recorded by the server or by the NPVR device (all the same machine).  I'm hoping the former as the later does not seem to organise the data correctly.

My other question relates to series type recordings.  I'm sure that I used to have this but I no longer seem to.  I'm not sure if this is a functionality issue, but I suspect that my guide data is not providing the series info it needs to.  I recently changed my guide data to OTA on npvr rather that XML in an attempt to get solid epg data.  Can someone confirm that I should still be able to record a series?

I have a couple of challenges with recording live TV.  If I select record from the guide I get either a hang (web version) or a message unable to record on the FireTV version.  I guessed this might be something to do with the recording directory and have tried changing but still I get the same problem.

Sounds to me like probably a permissions issue between the user running the server and your recording directory.  A server log from when the problem occurs would help tell us. How to Report a Problem

although I have just unboxed an HDHomerun I think I will have to continue to do so as Emby's only guide is shedulesdirect and you cannot use that in the UK :-(  

Yes you can.  Search out here.

Yeah SD works for UK now but you cannot subscribe if you are not in the original set of countries.  Something to do with EU privacy law they tell me  :-(

Okay, well, NPVR was a community-member contributed plug-in and they aren't here anymore.  I believe another community member is trying to pick it up but it will probably be best to post the details of this issue in the thread for that plug-in so they can see it.

Damstas

Okay, well, NPVR was a community-member contributed plug-in and they aren't here anymore.  I believe another community member is trying to pick it up but it will probably be best to post the details of this issue in the thread for that plug-in so they can see it.

Who is this other member? I would like to make him aware of few issues with the NPVR plugin.

Yep, Sven is the person to ask.

I'm able to help Emby users with any problems that relate to the NextPVR side of things.  I not well placed to directly help with the development of the Emby plugin, because it doesn't use the network API I wrote for the Kodi addon. Instead it uses the NEWA API which I'm not familiar with.

I'm always happy to try getting Sven any answers he needs, or add extra features to NextPVR if he needs them.

Edited by sub3

This is weird, yesterday this was working fine.  This morning it was again doing the unable to record thing.  

Tried again just now and it was working fine again!

Nathanio

Yeah SD works for UK now but you cannot subscribe if you are not in the original set of countries. Something to do with EU privacy law they tell me :-(

Not sure where that has come from? I'm UK based and am using a 3 mth trial of SD (and will pay after) using a HDHR.

Try PMing rkulagow as he works for them. He got me setup fine. They give you a particular set of details to put in which shows you are UK based.

• Like 1

Nathanio

And Emby native TV core is much more reliable I've found. I've been core for about a month now and apart from a few hiccups its been excellent.

It was solidly able to stream the goodwood revival on motors TV to my phone for about 3.5hrs solid. I occasionally paused it.

I've got confident enough to remove the tuners from my WMC box to sell and fund another HDHR.

Nathanio:  You are right you can sign up, you just can't use UK addresses etc to do that yet.  I've now done this using NY and 10001 and all is working fine.  Just me being too honest I guess ;-)

So you are finding that the recording etc. works well enough to be reliable?  I have to say with netflix etc. I nowadays do less and less but my wife still does a lot.  Sadly my recording of Dr Who last night failed, not a big deal though as I just watched it on player...

The only thing I would like on the emby player is for the stream to start quicker, it suckers my wife into thinking it has locked up.  That and having the full EPG available rather than having to load it in sections

Nathanio

I've had a couple of issues with the service running out of memory and crashing. It overwrites the started file. Tweaked the settings and that's stopped.

On my server (Xeon E3-1240, 8gb RAM, 250GB SSD OS and 32GB scratch drive for transcoding). It takes no time to start now, less than a second. It's much quicker with Emby core than plugin.

We use our with a Fire TV box

I think I get it now :-)

I'm guessing when I record using the FireTV app or web app it is actually the EMBY server that does the recording rather than offloading that to NPVR, would that be correct?  If so this inconsistency could be explained by the fact that my NPVR device (which also has EMBY on it) goes to sleep when there is nothing going on.  If it is asleep when I chose to make a recording then I bet that would manifest as Unable to Record and yet if the box is awake it probably works fine?

Only thing is that would infer that the EMBY App is capable of working alone without the server and I'm not sure that is the case.  When I call it up the NPVR server wakes if it is asleep (although the client fails to connect as the box takes a while to get going again).

WOuld this seem to fit the pattern?

Nathanio

I think I get it now :-)

I'm guessing when I record using the FireTV app or web app it is actually the EMBY server that does the recording rather than offloading that to NPVR, would that be correct?  If so this inconsistency could be explained by the fact that my NPVR device (which also has EMBY on it) goes to sleep when there is nothing going on.  If it is asleep when I chose to make a recording then I bet that would manifest as Unable to Record and yet if the box is awake it probably works fine?

It does take a paradigm shift in thought if you are use to the WMC style of HTPC. It's taken my wife several attempts to get it. I ended up explaining that it's like a till system. The till is just a dumb device and the processing is done behind the scenes by the server. That helped her to understand it better. 

With NPVR plugin; NVPR is doing the recording and there is an interaction between the two and so there has to be some handoff. Emby is directing the messages to NPVR and it is doing the donkey work. Be like having a transaction server and a merchandise server. This is where I found some delays and the guide interaction wasn't as good. I seem to remember series recording didn't work.

With Emby core doing it all then it works all inside and so minimises the delays. I use WHS2011 with LightOut to switch my box off when we're at work and asleep and emby core does wake it up to record. Swap as quickly as possible to Emby Core IMO to get the best PVR experience with Emby. Still some things to go implement (fwd / rwd during live tv, streaming recording tv and auto transcoding to a different format for storage (think this on the roadmap)). 

Only thing is that would infer that the EMBY App is capable of working alone without the server and I'm not sure that is the case.  When I call it up the NPVR server wakes if it is asleep (although the client fails to connect as the box takes a while to get going again).

WOuld this seem to fit the pattern?

I don't think the app can be used without the server expect for sync'd material. It usually opens to the emby connect page for me

. Swap as quickly as possible to Emby Core IMO to get the best PVR experience with Emby. 

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  Do you mean running Emby as a service?  or is there something else I am missing?

I have been thinking about moving this from the oldish Media Centre box to some form of NAS device more centrally located, but I'm not sure how that would perform or even which one to look for.  To date I've had a synology device but that seems to be the least advanced version.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  Do you mean running Emby as a service?  or is there something else I am missing?

I have been thinking about moving this from the oldish Media Centre box to some form of NAS device more centrally located, but I'm not sure how that would perform or even which one to look for.  To date I've had a synology device but that seems to be the least advanced version.

No, he was suggesting that, instead of using NextPVR or any other external TV software, you use the built-in Live TV functionality now in Emby.  However, that requires that you have the proper HDHR tuner so that may or may not be an option for you.

I'm actually doing this now as I have an HD Homerun and I removed the NPVR connections.  Thing is going into recorded content now crashes the Fire TV app so something is still not right.

I am indeed the one who did the development for that plugin (with some help from Luke. :) ).

I hope to have some in a couple weeks. To solve all the issue's that people have for the moment...

Nathanio

I'm actually doing this now as I have an HD Homerun and I removed the NPVR connections. Thing is going into recorded content now crashes the Fire TV app so something is still not right.

Try clearing the cache and data from app manager. This helped solve a few problems for me on my Fire box.

I think I have other problems now however I think I may have resolved the recordings thing as I don't think EMBY had sufficient rights to access the directory I had pointed it at. I may be wrong.

My next problem is that frequently the guide is totally blank on the FireTV app and when I looked up the lineup I found it was no longer configured and cannot be.  The only thing I can think is that the NPVR box is also using SD and maybe I can only have one box using it?  

Okay sorted the guide and tried recording something direct but Recordings still just gives me a blank screen, despite giving full access to everybody to the share.

Now really strangely I only have my HD Homerun configured in Emby, I went to the guide and chose record.  NPVR started to record the program despite the fact that I have removed the NPVR plugging...  pretty weird eh!  It suggests that  something is hanging over from my removal of NPVR pluggin.  This is almost certain as the recording started on a Tuner that is not configured for Emby so Emby does not know how to use it.