Newly Installed Emby Server does not fetch metadata

bym007
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

Hey all fine folks,

I recently joined the Emby bandwidth, although I have been using Kodi/XBMC for a long time. I really like the idea, specially there is no need for MySQL anymore.

Well, I installed Emby server on my Windows 7 virtual machine, which is on 24/7 and also hosts all of the A/V media. I was able to configure the Kodi client easily (Asus Chromebox). Previously I had exported all of the images etc into individual movie folders. However, I have added some movies in last day or so, which did not have their information scraped or images exported to their respective folder. After installing Kodi, I am noticing these movies are not displaying their images, fanart etc.

The synopsis etc has been downloaded into the database, but the images need to be downloaded. I am too new to understand what may need to be configured as such. Please help me.

Can someone also kindly explain the difference between HTTP and SMB streaming. I noticed that my Kodi client has asked and is now probably being streamed over HTTP, whereas previously it used to be on SMB purely. Is there any performance or security gain using HTTP. I am on Gigabit Ethernet.

Thanks in advance.

On the very first page of metadata setting in the server dashboard there is a checkbox for "Download artwork and metadata from the internet".  Is it checked?

Then, on the "Services" tab for "Movies" what image fetchers are checked?  Under "Image Settings" what image types are checked?

If all of that is setup properly, we'll need to see a server log from when you add or refresh one of these items.

How to Report a Problem

I have looked into the options you have mentioned and they all have been selected as you mentioned.

I have tried to disable or even remove Emby client from my Chomebox (main HTPC), but even then it is unable to scrape the newly added movies.5612f9a371ec5_2.png

• Solution
Happy2Play

Looks like a permissions issue to me.

Access to the path '\\192.168.1.110\2tb\Movies\English\Big Hero 6 [1080p]\Big.Hero.6.2014.1080p.nfo' is denied.
 System.UnauthorizedAccessException 

Line 27:  Access to the path '\\192.168.1.110\2tb\Movies\English\Big Hero 6 [1080p]\Big.Hero.6.2014.1080p.nfo' is denied.
Line 165:  Access to the path '\\192.168.1.110\2tb\Movies\English\The Bourne Trilogy [1080p]\The.Bourne.Ultimatum.2007.1080p.nfo' is denied.
Line 244:  Access to the path '\\192.168.1.110\2tb\Movies\English\The Bourne Trilogy [1080p]\The.Bourne.Supremacy.2004.1080p.nfo' is denied.
Line 1403:  Access to the path '\\192.168.1.110\2tb\Movies\English\Aladdin [720p]\Aladdin.1992.720p.tt0103639.nfo' is denied.
  • Like 1

Looks like a permissions issue to me.

Access to the path '\\192.168.1.110\2tb\Movies\English\Big Hero 6 [1080p]\Big.Hero.6.2014.1080p.nfo' is denied.
 System.UnauthorizedAccessException 

Line 27:  Access to the path '\\192.168.1.110\2tb\Movies\English\Big Hero 6 [1080p]\Big.Hero.6.2014.1080p.nfo' is denied.
Line 165:  Access to the path '\\192.168.1.110\2tb\Movies\English\The Bourne Trilogy [1080p]\The.Bourne.Ultimatum.2007.1080p.nfo' is denied.
Line 244:  Access to the path '\\192.168.1.110\2tb\Movies\English\The Bourne Trilogy [1080p]\The.Bourne.Supremacy.2004.1080p.nfo' is denied.
Line 1403:  Access to the path '\\192.168.1.110\2tb\Movies\English\Aladdin [720p]\Aladdin.1992.720p.tt0103639.nfo' is denied.
Nicely spotted.

I need to check whats going on here... The security/permission should be same for all, as they all sit in same parent folder 2tb\movies\ ...

Tapatalkin' from my Sony Xperia Z3 Dual 4.15.10

Just a minor point on terminology.  We don't do any web scraping.  We access only public, free APIs.

[emoji15] not sure what you mean there sorry.

Edited by bym007

[emoji15] not sure what you mean there sorry.

That's okay, don't worry about it.  It is just that you used the word "scrape" because that's what a lot of products do and so that is what most users think the process of gathering metadata is. 

Vidman

He means you used the word "scraping" which pulls data from a website using unofficial means whereas emby uses metadata site APIs to check and download metadata

Ok the issue has been fixed. Here is what I had to do for other newbie's: I checked the file access permissions and they were set as Read only for "everyone". Now I have added Full Access to a new named user, which is being used by Kodi to access the Media Server. The access settings for "Everyone" group remain as Read only, for security purposes.

Now I am facing the last issue. I have a lot of movie saved in my Media Server in their individually named folders. I had downloaded the metadata using Kodi initially and this has been exported to their individual folder prior to moving to Emby server. Now the situation stands that each movie folder has some images (fan art, posters) etc.

However, some movie still do not have any image. I tried to fetch some fanart by clicking on particular movies and refreshing them. This worked. So how do I force Kodi to download "all" missing metadata and images for the entire collection ? I dont want to point to every movie in the collection and force it to be download images.

Thanks.

Happy2Play

Don't know about Kodi, but in Emby you can do a Advance Refresh at folder/library level in Metadata Manager.

go to Metadata Manager

select library Movies

click the three dots button-Advance Refresh

use the drop-downs

• Like 1

Thanks Happy2Play,

I played with it and figured it out. I have finally managed to get the missing artwork download into Emby.

Don't know about Kodi, but in Emby you can do a Advance Refresh at folder/library level in Metadata Manager.

go to Metadata Manager

select library Movies

click the three dots button-Advance Refresh

use the drop-downs

So it seems like I have managed to dish out most of the issues. Lets hope nothing else springs up.