Should AFTV do a WoL packet to a server?

Nathanio

Nathanio

As title really? Can AFTV Emby TV app send a WoL packet if the server is off?

I use LightsOut on my WHS2011 boz for when we're at work. When my wife and kids get back the servers not on. Getting it to auto turn on would be great.

Thanks

Nathanio

Its how I currently do it with my other devices. Got the magic packet setup and works really well with my Windows boxes (or WoL program on router and phone)

Saves a surprising amount of energy

• 2 weeks later...
Nathanio

Hibernation may not be wake-able. Be sure to try just sleep as well.

Why wouldn't a hibernated box wake up? Surely a magic packet should wake regardless as long as its in an Sx state. I could wake my server using a WoL program on my android phone.

Why wouldn't a hibernated box wake up? Surely a magic packet should wake regardless as long as its in an Sx state. I could wake my server using a WoL program on my android phone.

It just depends on the exact settings in the bios.  Some states are wake-able and others aren't.  But, if you can wake it via another app then it is doable.

This is all implemented in a common library that is shared among the two android apps.  So, I assume it also doesn't work with the mobile app?

Nathanio

Neither devices (LG G3 Lollipop rooted and AFTV box) will wake the server when hibernated. if I use the WakeOnLan app on my phone I can get to to wake with a magic packet.

You could set a BIOS wake timer, so the server will wake at the same time every day. This would be regardless of a magic packet being received. Not all BIOS's support this though - might be worth a look.

Nathanio

I use LightsOut on my server to manage the waking and sleeping of the server. However, sometimes my wife gets home before the timer comes on and can't use Emby. She gets annoyed and I get moaned at (despite me telling her several times!) 

On my old HTPC, the connector software would WoL the server awake and be ready to use relatively quickly. Just trying to emulate that really. 

Pirlo1966

I use LightsOut on my server to manage the waking and sleeping of the server. However, sometimes my wife gets home before the timer comes on and can't use Emby. She gets annoyed and I get moaned at (despite me telling her several times!) 

On my old HTPC, the connector software would WoL the server awake and be ready to use relatively quickly. Just trying to emulate that really. 

I was looking for something similar. I used to wake my NAS automatically from my HTPC'swith magic packets. I now replaced  HTPC's by Nvidia shield console. I installed through the play store a simple WOL app to wake up NAS.

Nathanio

I was looking for something similar. I used to wake my NAS automatically from my HTPC'swith magic packets. I now replaced  HTPC's by Nvidia shield console. I installed through the play store a simple WOL app to wake up NAS.

I was hoping for an integrated solution like the HTPC used to do. More user friendly for the wife and family if it works autonomously. 

Pirlo1966

I was hoping for an integrated solution like the HTPC used to do. More user friendly for the wife and family if it works autonomously. 

Yes, you are right. BTW, I was not able to install a WOL app from the play store on my shield console. Apparently there are very limited apps availanle for android TV consoles. bUT It works on my smartphone.

For now. I use timers to wake up and put to sleep the NAS. But most of the time it's sitting iddle. What a waste of electricity.

• 2 weeks later...
Nathanio

Hi Guys, 

Any more thoughts on this? Is there away I can check the AFTV log to see if it did send a packet?

Nathan

If you are on a Google device, you could use the debug options to send me a log after start-up but mine does send the packet.

10-28 10:22:16.764   7558-20877/tv.emby.embyatv I/System.out﹕ Waking server: Dev Server, Id: 103c6466d6634bd9ae5291e100606196
10-28 10:22:16.764   7558-20877/tv.emby.embyatv I/System.out﹕ Sending WakeOnLan over broadcast address. Mac: 00-25-64-ED-D7-03, Port: 9

Just a quick question... I'm trying to accomplish this as well and i don't know if i need to setup something specific on my win10 server box to it have wake up.. i set it to sleep after an hour of idle.. anything else i need to set or install for it to work? For now my tests have not been positive...

Edited by MndWrp