Emby Classic connection problems

tman

I've been experiencing intermittent problems from my two Windows Emby clients connecting to my WHS2011 Emby server. I use MBPlus as my front end, and this problem has started happening in the last 3 months or so, but I can't pinpoint it exactly. If I launch Emby Classic, there will sometimes be a long pause while connecting. When it does connect, there are missing items in the MBPlus front end (Suggestions might be empty and only the main Category - Movies - might will show anything). If I open 'all movies' or 'latest', the view will be empty and the client unresponsive. Eventually, the client will hang until I'm prompted to close the application. Other times, it's perfect, and works exactly as it should.

I've double checked all hardware - it's good. Server has plenty of power (8 core/8GB RAM). O/S has been checked etc. The server side log files do show errors though, which I could use being looked at. MBPlus also logs messages about re-building categories due to library change - and it does this a lot. Is this normal? There are also plenty of network-type errors, but I've no reason to believe there are any network problems. General server access is fine. Server is on Gb ethernet. Client copy speeds are often >100MB/s. Other apps running on the server work perfectly (Plex included). Interestingly, I don't see this problem from my Android clients, Roku's, Nexus Player or FireTVStick, it's just Emby WMC. I tried uninstalling the Emby Classic client on one host and went through the whole setup process again. At first, it seemed better (could have been me hoping though), but then the problems returned. The only plugins I have enabled are MBPlus, Subdued (which I've always used, but have also tried Chocolate to see if it's a theme problem - it wasn't) and cover art screen saver.

Logfile attached.

server-63578547704.txt

I am having a similar problem when opening Emby through WMC.  It takes up to 3 mins to get to the login screen.  Can't post up the log file, as I am at work now, but will try to get my log up tonight. 

I am having a similar problem when opening Emby through WMC.  It takes up to 3 mins to get to the login screen.  Can't post up the log file, as I am at work now, but will try to get my log up tonight. 

I'm willing to bet your problem is that you configured it to connect to a specific IP address and the address for your server has changed.

I'm willing to bet your problem is that you configured it to connect to a specific IP address and the address for your server has changed.

Thanks.  I'll look into this tonight.

Edited by Argonous

The EMC log from when the problem actually occurs will be what we need to see.

Thanks. Attached is an EMC log from one one of the hosts with the problem. As per the other poster, the IP address of my server has never changed. As I said, all other clients connect ok, but EMC has the problem.

MBClassic-22920154b365f678a284bd9998490f6d10e99f8.log

I'm seeing slow response times and even a time-out from your server.  Not sure it will make a difference but you can try switching from Subdued to Chocolate as your theme.

Also, you can try un-installing the MB Plus Classic plug-in and see if that makes a difference.  Save a copy first since that isn't in the catalog anymore.

I was able to resolve my problem by changing the static IP to "Find Automatically" in the Advanced Settings.  Emby opened in seconds after the change.  May be worth giving a try.

Well, I'm at a bit of a loss. There is zero indication of any network problems on the server. Everything else works perfectly, and all other (non Emby-Classic) clients connect fine with no delays. I've tried Chocolate instead of Subdued, and also tried removing MBPlus, but it didn't seem to help. I've even just tried switching the nic from the onboard Realtek to a genuine Intel. No change.

In the logs, there are references like this;

015-09-26 12:29:04.7629 Error - ServerManager: SessionWebSocketListener failed processing WebSocket message Context
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 3.0.5724.5
    Command line: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
    Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
    Processor count: 8
    64-Bit OS: True
    64-Bit Process: False
    Program data path: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server
    Application Path: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
    Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: id
    System.ArgumentNullException
       at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Library.LibraryManager.GetItemById(Guid id)
       at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Session.SessionManager.ReportNowViewingItem(String sessionId, String itemId)
       at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Session.SessionWebSocketListener.ProcessContextMessage(WebSocketMessageInfo message)
       at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Session.SessionWebSocketListener.ProcessMessage(WebSocketMessageInfo message)
       at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.ServerManager.ServerManager.<>c__DisplayClass3.<>c__DisplayClass5.<<ProcessWebSocketMessageReceived>b__2>d__7.MoveNext()

2015-09-26 12:29:45.4202 Error - HttpAsyncTaskHandler: Error occured while Processing Request: Unable to write data to the transport connection: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine.
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 3.0.5724.5
    Command line: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
    Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
    Processor count: 8
    64-Bit OS: True
    64-Bit Process: False
    Program data path: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server
    Application Path: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
    Unable to write data to the transport connection: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine.
    System.IO.IOException
       at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
       at SocketHttpListener.Net.ResponseStream.InternalWrite(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
       at SocketHttpListener.Net.ResponseStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
       at System.IO.StreamWriter.Flush(Boolean flushStream, Boolean flushEncoder)
       at System.IO.StreamWriter.Write(Char value)
       at ServiceStack.Text.Json.JsonUtils.WriteString(TextWriter writer, String value)
       at ServiceStack.Text.Json.JsonTypeSerializer.WriteObjectString(TextWriter writer, Object value)
       at ServiceStack.Text.Common.WriteType`2.WriteProperties(TextWriter writer, Object value)
       at ServiceStack.Text.Common.WriteType`2.WriteProperties(TextWriter writer, Object value)
       at ServiceStack.Text.JsonSerializer.SerializeToStream(Object value, Type type, Stream stream)
       at ServiceStack.Text.JsonSerializer.SerializeToStream[T](T value, Stream stream)
       at ServiceStack.Serialization.JsonDataContractSerializer.SerializeToStream[T](T obj, Stream stream)
       at ServiceStack.Host.ContentTypes.<GetStreamSerializer>b__5(IRequest r, Object o, Stream s)
       at ServiceStack.Host.ContentTypes.<>c__DisplayClass2.<GetResponseSerializer>b__1(IRequest httpReq, Object dto, IResponse httpRes)
       at ServiceStack.HttpResponseExtensionsInternal.WriteErrorToResponse(IResponse httpRes, IRequest httpReq, String contentType, String operationName, String errorMessage, Exception ex, Int32 statusCode)
       at ServiceStack.ServiceStackHost.OnUncaughtException(IRequest httpReq, IResponse httpRes, String operationName, Exception ex)
       at ServiceStack.HttpResponseExtensionsInternal.WriteToResponse(IResponse response, Object result, ResponseSerializerDelegate defaultAction, IRequest request, Byte[] bodyPrefix, Byte[] bodySuffix)
       at ServiceStack.HttpResponseExtensionsInternal.WriteToResponse(IResponse httpRes, IRequest httpReq, Object result, Byte[] bodyPrefix, Byte[] bodySuffix)
       at ServiceStack.HttpResponseExtensionsInternal.WriteToResponse(IResponse httpRes, IRequest httpReq, Object result)
       at ServiceStack.Host.RestHandler.<>c__DisplayClass5.<ProcessRequestAsync>b__0(Object response)
       at ServiceStack.Host.Handlers.ServiceStackHandlerBase.HandleResponse(Object response, Func`2 callback, Func`2 errorCallback)
    InnerException: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException
    An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine
       at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Send(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags)
       at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)

The 'value cannot be nul' error doesn't sound like a timeout, but a problem somewhere in the system. Troubleshooting this doesn't seem easy though. Why does it only happen from Emby Classic? I even tried disabling the firewall on the server - no change. I've read a couple of threads that the solution to some of these errors is to stop using .NET KeepAlive's, which can throw some very random errors.

That's the server log and those messages are not related to any delays.

The EMC log would be the one that would contain any clues.