Poll- Which Emby Client do you WANT (or use most)??

Xzener

Which Emby Client do you WANT (or used most)??  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Which Emby Client do you WANT (or use most)??

• Emby Theater (MBT or awaiting Emby Theater)
    • Emby Web Client
    • Emby Classic (WMC)
    • Emby for Android
    • Emby for IOS
    • Emby for Android TV or Amazon Fire TV
    • Emby for Kodi Plugin
    • Emby for Roku
    • Emby for Apple TV
    • Emby for Samsung Smart TV
    • Emby for Windows 8/10 App
    • Emby for Windows Phone
    • Media Browser for MediaPortal Plugin

Would like to ask the community which client they want or use most. If all clients were up to date and available, which would you use religiously??

EDIT: Added a few more apps to the list instead of using "other". No disrespect intended.

Edited by Xzener
  • Like 3

I will be the first (or unless someone beats me to it) to say I use MBT the most. I am also awaiting Emby Theater and would use it daily.

• Like 4

Koleckai Silvestri

Hard. Would like a working Theater the most. Currently use Roku and Web Client the most. Have started using the Windows 10 app since nothing else supports direct play. Android and iOS apps don't seem to offer me any advantage.

Didn't select Theater because it is almost at vaporware status now. Can't get my hopes up.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri
  • Like 2

jasonmcroy

That is such a tough one. I am in the category with you posters so far of really, really, really, really waiting for the new MBT. The current MBT does actually play my files just fine and the video quality is fine, but it is so unpolished I really, really, really, really am looking forward to the updated version. Did I mention or get across how much I want this? :P

Anyway, my current go to setup is Kodi with the plugin. I am not in the class of Kodi haters or those that feel it's hard to set up. Maybe I have used it so long I know what settings I need so it takes like 5 minutes to change what I need. But I don't like having "someone else's player" being our frontend. It would be best to have our own HTPC player.

I really wish Luke would stop sleeping, eating and playing with other apps and get this done. j/k Luke. I know you want to be on it as much as we want you on it.

Anyway, this has been fun. I will go back to watching Interstellar now...

• Like 2

AdrianW

Voted for ET for something I want - but EMC is what I use daily, and will continue to use daily until ET can compete with its usability, features and video quality (I use MPC-HC as an external player). I don't actually use ET at all.

Put my toe in the Kodi pool - but it was far too cold, and I'm never going there again!

I do also use the MPC-HC remote tray tool for use with the web client.

-edit-

I must add:  bitstreaming and no transcoding is very important to me.

Edited by AdrianW
  • Like 4

Different clients for different uses.

Emby Android app for mobile, either Samsung Smart TV app for main viewing, but could also use Emby for Android TV on my Nexus Player.

In the bedroom, I have the Emby for Fire TV app in use.

I chose Other in the poil.

• Like 1

paulsalter

I went for Other

My most used client is the App for Samsung TV's (Close second is the Win 10 store app for viewing when at my PC)

Most wanted would be an App for the Xbox 360

That would give me a client on all my TV's

• Like 1

Hi all, @@Xzener

I use emby for win 10. Little or no transcoding. Great UI and the best music support. Please add that as an official choice as well as emby for windows phone and emby for Samsung smart TV  It is disrespectful to the developers of those clients to be lumped under other.

So my official answer is none of the above.

Poll is pretty useless without all the real clients listed. How would you know you want to use something until a client is released? Theater hasn't been anything but an alpha release for years, emby for ios has never existed

Let's all vote for something we have devices and think "well maybe an emby client will be developed and maybe it will be really good and I will want to use it.... My vote "emby for sonos"

-Vicpa

FireTV or Android TV box with full direct stream capability, including EmbyTV direct stream/direct play, is the holy grail.  Cheap box, full capabilities, don't need anything else!

FrostByte

None of the above.

Depends:  Samsung Smart TV app for main movie watching.  Win10 app and Win8 phone app for music or watching movies not on my tv.  May change when XB1 app is released

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

@@Vicpa I didn't mean to disrespect any developers. This was actually my second poll... The first one wasn't created correctly and did not post to the forum. I added more clients to the list. If anyone notices any missing, please let me know.

Let's all vote for something we have devices and think "well maybe an emby client will be developed and maybe it will be really good and I will want to use it.... My vote "emby for sonos"

Swell idea. Many people have asked about other platform clients. Although I think it should be a separate poll.

I started with Theater. I tried Kodi with the emby plugin. It just wasn't for me even though I love the idea of live tv/local media/streaming all in the same app.  

I have been using MBC for 9-12 months now. It's rock solid which is exactly what I want. The downside is having to close WMC and start chrome to get to youtube, Netflix etc. It's really not that big of an issue I just prefer to have everything function from a home screen. I am eagerly awaiting the new release of Theater. Hopefully I'll be switching back to it.

I don't see Other, so - the Windows Universal or XB1 app is my most wanted. The web client is my most used, but I'd prefer to limit that to admin and do all my selection/viewing in more native apps.

AdrianW

I started with Theater. I tried Kodi with the emby plugin. It just wasn't for me even though I love the idea of live tv/local media/streaming all in the same app.  

I have been using MBC for 9-12 months now. It's rock solid which is exactly what I want. The downside is having to close WMC and start chrome to get to youtube, Netflix etc. It's really not that big of an issue I just prefer to have everything function from a home screen. I am eagerly awaiting the new release of Theater. Hopefully I'll be switching back to it.

What version of Windows are you on? I'm on 8.1, and I use the Netflix app from the Windows store, I've pinned Netflix to the taskbar in the second position, and then I have a "Netflix" button on my Harmony remote mapped to send Win+2 which starts Netflix right from within Media Center - then another remote button mapped to Alt-F4 gets me back to Media Center afterwards.

Koleckai Silvestri

Swell idea. Many people have asked about other platform clients. Although I think it should be a separate poll.

Hopefully the current developers finish the platforms they are working on and then look at different platforms. Theater should have been completed before a complete rewrite of Android was done for example.

• Like 1

What version of Windows are you on? I'm on 8.1, and I use the Netflix app from the Windows store, I've pinned Netflix to the taskbar in the second position, and then I have a "Netflix" button on my Harmony remote mapped to send Win+2 which starts Netflix right from within Media Center - then another remote button mapped to Alt-F4 gets me back to Media Center afterwards.

I'm on Win 7. I also have a harmony and mapped alt-F4 to exit. I just never thought of using the Win key to start chrome. You will still need to use the keyboard to surf through Netflix though. It's not a big deal for me and the wife is finally getting used to it. Thanks for the tip.

xnappo

Hopefully the current developers finish the platforms they are working on and then look at different platforms. Theater should have been completed before a complete rewrite of Android was done for example.

Actually I disagree - there are a lot more new users coming in with Android devices than HTPCs - and they are likely a lot less attached to a particular app already. 

I know this is unpopular to say around here - but a non-cross platform Emby Theater does not have a huge customer base IMHO.

• Like 2

FrostByte

It was still hard to choose for me since I watch most of my movies with one client and listen to music using a different.  Went with the movie app though since that's probably what most people are using Emby for.

• Like 1

MSattler

Actually I disagree - there are a lot more new users coming in with Android devices than HTPCs - and they are likely a lot less attached to a particular app already. 

I know this is unpopular to say around here - but a non-cross platform Emby Theater does not have a huge customer base IMHO.

Spot on IMHO.  As long as ET is Windows only it is going to severely limit the ability for it to be the top client.  Currently I believe the only client that gives you cross platform usability is Kodi since it can run on Win/*nix/OSX.

The movement is towards smaller in size, less power hungry devices such as the Raspberry Pi 2, and other arm based players.  Windows on these same platforms is too resource intensive, and costly because of licensing.

With ET I currently would have to spend at least $200 for a chromebox type setup, and then a Windows OS license.

Going the Linux/Android route, there is no OS license cost. 

I use Chromeboxes/Raspberry Pi 2's throughout the host, and family members use FireTV Sticks/Roku.  

• Like 1

No, correction. The biggest threat to Emby Theater, as well Kodi and any other htpc app, is the market's mass movement towards these little set top boxes. yes, I know the apps can be made to run on anything, but the vast majority of people prefer something they can install from the store that is designed for the device. The very same people who are asking for new Emby Theater and Kodi features can also be found in other threads with comments such as "man if this device gets abc I'll dump my htpc in a second.".

• Like 3