Mad Max Fury Road MKV won't play...

Harblar
Go to solution Solved by Harblar,

So... I'm not exactly sure what might be going on, but here is the situation.

I recently bought Mad Max Fury Road 3D and, as I've done with all my other 3d blu-ray's, I ripped it to mkv (saving the subtitles, Lossless audio track, and MVC video stream) and then transferred the file to my server. Emby server identified and downloaded all the meta data for it right away and it showed up in Emby theater on my HTPC a short time later. I went to play the film and nothing happens. The screen goes black and just hangs there. If I move the mouse the logo and progress bar come up, but it just shows 0:00 minutes out of whatever and won't progress further than this.

I figured it was a bad rip so I tried playing the file direct from my file server on my Main PC (the one that has Emby Server installed on it).  My main PC has Windows 10 and when I double clicked the mkv it fired up the Windows Movie and TV app and the movie started playing just fine. I then opened up the web browser version of Emby Server and tried playing it. Again it worked perfectly fine.  I then tried restarting my HTPC (Win 7 install) and trying in theater again. Same as before, nothing. I tried another 3d mkv (the last one I'd bought before Mad Max) and it played fine.  

At this point I was really confused. I went ahead and did the upgrade to Win 10 on my HTPC and then tried again. Mad Max still won't play. I downloaded the Emby app for Win 8/10 and tried that. It won't play there either, though everything else does. I logged into the Emby Web Browser on the HTPC and tried there.. it hangs for 2-3 seconds and then gives me a video error message.

Since I'd now upgraded the HTPC to Win 10 I browsed to the Mad Max folder on my server and double clicked the MKV. The Windows Movie and TV app fires up and the movie starts playing just fine as it did on my main desktop pc. Even tried it on my iPad via the web browser and it worked perfect there as well!

So... What The HELL is going on here??!?!? This makes absolutely zero sense to me!  Has anyone ever had something like this happen before? 

I'm fairly certain it's not the file, but at the same time it almost has to be.

Any suggestions, because I'm completely stumped!  :-\

Ok... I'm still having this problem, but may have narrowed it down slightly.  The one difference this movie has over all my other Blu-Ray's is that the audio track is Dolby Atmos versus the standard Dolby True HD or DTS-MA.

Could this be the issue? I know the receiver I'm bitstreaming to doesn't do Atmos, but it should still be capable of at least outputting the standard True HD from the Atmos track, correct?  Is there a new LAV Audio setting I need to enable to make Atmos Blu-Rays work?

That would explain why it wouldn't play in Emby Theater, but doesn't explain why it wouldn't play in the web browser, unless the web browser knows that the HTPC is capable of direct streaming the MKV and is skipping the trans coding step. At that point it would be trying to play it just like Emby Theater and running into the same issue. Is that, in fact, what is happening?

• Solution

Ok... So turns out I was right about it all.

The LAV filters and everything else hadn't really been updating automatically on a regular basis as they should. Hell, My program was still showing as Media Browser Theater instead of Emby. The LAV codec was .62 which was apparently one version prior to when Atmos was supported.  I found several suggestions in other threads on how to force the codec to update.  No use. I eventually had to uninstall MB Theater... Completely (full wipe) and then reinstall and setup Emby Theater. The Lav codec is now running version .64 and everything is working perfect!  Also have Nvidia CUVID for a hardware acceleration mode now.  NICE!   

So yeah...  When in doubt, Wipe it out and start from scratch I guess. (make sure you write down your codec settings before hand first!) ;-)