Fire TV Stick with latest Emby/VLC cannot play HD

Nebular Nerd

Nebular Nerd

Hi everyone,

Quick Background:

I've been using the orignal MediaBrowser Android App with MXPlayer on my FireTV Stick since the Stick was released and pretty much anything I could throw at it would play happily including my direct BluRay rips without any need to transcode, however since the rebrand to Emby the pure Android app runs poorly on the FireTV Stick so I decided to switch over to the dedicated app the other day.

What's Wrong :(

The latest Emby FireTV App has VLC built in which is meant to reduce the need to transcode but the performance is terrible, even 720p content just stutters and locks up, does the VLC component have the ability to use hardware decoding like MXPlayer or is it relying soley on CPU horsepower which the Stick lacks? It really sucked to pay to unlock the app (I had installed the older pre VLC builds which were equally no good so it had expired) to then find that it was still unable to play my content.

Is there any chance we can have the 'Play in external' feature so that content could be streamed directly to MXPlayer for example which has no performance issues? I'd happily go back to sideloading the pure Android App if it was not so laggy when trying to browse my library, at present I'm having to use ES File Explorer to find what I want to watch and then play it in MXPlayer, might have to try a later build of the Android App and see if the lag goes away.

Give me the email address associated with the device and I can add you to the beta for the Fire.  It has a newer version of VLC.

Nebular Nerd

Hi ebr,

I've PM'ed you my email address, thanks for letting me try the beta. Once it updates I shall conduct someplayback tests and let you know if that improves things.

Nebular Nerd

Hi ebr,

I downloaded the beta (1.1.00) and that just made things much worse, now it just flatly refuses to play any content just spews up 'Cannot play this file' and sits there with a spinning circle until you back out. I tried fully uninstalling both Emby and the Beta version and installed from fresh but it decided it wanted me to pay again to unlock it, not done that yet but not a good sign that the unlock does not carry over.

Going about things the other way I sideloaded the regular Android apk (2.4.13) and while not suited at all to being navigated (or even running smoothly) on the FireTV Stick it did manage to play in VLC my content, stuttering badly like 1.0.80a2 did. To give some context here's the media data for a couple of files that refuse to play.

General
Unique ID                                : 184774150376469551894476516940536345081 (0x8B0234F870555545AE00BDB0E8B7F1F9)
Complete name                            : \\Alarm\TV & Movies\TV\Mythbusters\Season 16\16x05 - Supernatural Shooters.mkv
Format                                   : Matroska
Format version                           : Version 2
File size                                : 1.09 GiB
Duration                                 : 41mn 30s
Overall bit rate                         : 3 749 Kbps
Encoded date                             : UTC 2015-08-16 02:01:15
Writing application                      : mkvmerge v7.9.0 ('Birds') 32bit
Writing library                          : libebml v1.3.1 + libmatroska v1.4.2
DURATION                                 : 00:41:30.528000000
NUMBER_OF_FRAMES                         : 77829
NUMBER_OF_BYTES                          : 119545344
_STATISTICS_WRITING_APP                  : mkvmerge v7.9.0 ('Birds') 32bit
_STATISTICS_WRITING_DATE_UTC             : 2015-08-16 02:01:15
_STATISTICS_TAGS                         : BPS DURATION NUMBER_OF_FRAMES NUMBER_OF_BYTES

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames                : 5 frames
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate                                 : 3 290 Kbps
Width                                    : 1 280 pixels
Height                                   : 718 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 29.970 fps
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.119
Stream size                              : 977 MiB (88%)
Writing library                          : x264 core 148 r2579 73ae2d1
Encoding settings                        : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=8 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=18 / lookahead_threads=3 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=300 / keyint_min=30 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=50 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=21.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No
Color range                              : Limited
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : AC-3
Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension                           : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness              : Big
Codec ID                                 : A_AC3
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 384 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 6 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 114 MiB (10%)
Language                                 : English

AND

General
Unique ID                                : 230167438322697048130013010731464892530 (0xAD28A2DBF659C2D1848B2FCC6303A072)
Complete name                            : \\Alarm\TV & Movies 2\Movies [HiDef]\El Mariachi [1992]\El Mariachi.mkv
Format                                   : Matroska
Format version                           : Version 4 / Version 2
File size                                : 3.66 GiB
Duration                                 : 1h 21mn
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 6 434 Kbps
Encoded date                             : UTC 2015-08-29 16:03:34
Writing application                      : mkvmerge v8.3.0 ('Over the Horizon') 64bit
Writing library                          : libebml v1.3.1 + libmatroska v1.4.2
DURATION                                 : 01:15:44.164000000
NUMBER_OF_FRAMES                         : 468
NUMBER_OF_BYTES                          : 12816
_STATISTICS_WRITING_APP                  : mkvmerge v8.3.0 ('Over the Horizon') 64bit
_STATISTICS_WRITING_DATE_UTC             : 2015-08-29 16:03:34
_STATISTICS_TAGS                         : BPS DURATION NUMBER_OF_FRAMES NUMBER_OF_BYTES

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames                : 2 frames
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 6 114 Kbps
Maximum bit rate                         : 9 504 Kbps
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 23.976 fps
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.123
Stream size                              : 3.48 GiB (95%)
Language                                 : Spanish

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : AC-3
Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension                           : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness              : Big
Codec ID                                 : A_AC3
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 192 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L R
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 112 MiB (3%)
Title                                    : Spanish AC3 Audio
Language                                 : Spanish
Forced                                   : Yes

Text
ID                                       : 3
Format                                   : UTF-8
Codec ID                                 : S_TEXT/UTF8
Codec ID/Info                            : UTF-8 Plain Text
Title                                    : English Subtitles
Language                                 : English
Forced                                   : Yes

Now these will play on my Xpeira Z and Ramos i9 (x86) tablet using the native app just fine without needing to transcode, equally previous versions or Emby and Media Browser Android were capable of playing these sorts of files without transcoding (or if it tried to transcode I owuld just dump it to MXPlayer) so it seems that Emby has almost taken a step back at present.

Nebular Nerd

What happens if you disable VLC?

Disabling VLC makes no odds, it seems either method of playback refuses to play most MKV's, I did try some other files in MP4 format at varying resolutions and they all played, unless it's radically different the internal player on the regular Android app will play them with lag/stutter/breakup on the FireTV and happily on my Xperia Z phone. Most odd...

Also I have set myself up as a subscriber to resolve any activation issues as well so the apps are fully unrestricted in that sense as well.

Edited by Nebular Nerd

Disabling VLC makes no odds, it seems either method of playback refuses to play most MKV's, I did try some other files in MP4 format at varying resolutions and they all played, unless it's radically different the internal player on the regular Android app will play them with lag/stutter/breakup on the FireTV and happily on my Xperia Z phone. Most odd...

Also I have set myself up as a subscriber to resolve any activation issues as well so the apps are fully unrestricted in that sense as well.

I am at a loss then because all the variables in play are quite different yet none of the combinations seem to allow steady playback.  This would point to either a problem at the network or server level (or, perhaps the device) because switching between VLC and the internal player probably means also switching from direct streaming to transcoding as well as completely changing the playback engine.

Even the bitrate should not be an issue because the version you are using now will automatically adjust to the network capacity.

When you play something, what does the OSD report as the playback method (the last grey text block)?

Nebular Nerd

Anything that plays displays either Direct/I or Direct/V in the player window regardless of VLC being set active or not, pretty much anythign MP4 wise will play and so will some DVD/SD Resolution MKV files, it seems to get upset about anything MKV thats 720P or above. Not bothered testing anything in AVI or other containers as they tend to be a bit iffy at the best of times.

Network connectivity wise the Fire Tv Stick is using my 5GHz connection which is about 8ft away tops with direct line of sight so no issue with signal quality, the server it streams from is an i5 based system with oddles of ram, gigabit network, sata 3 drives the whole nine yards.

Anything that plays displays either Direct/I or Direct/V in the player window regardless of VLC being set active or not, 

Are you sure about that?  There isn't any way you should be seeing "Direct/V" if you have disabled VLC.

One other thing which you may have tried but I was just testing on the stick and performance was horrible (across the board - all apps).  I re-started the device by going into the settings menu and selecting "Restart" and performance got much better (albeit still not stellar as this device never is).

Also, the current version of the ATV app will only use VLC for SD content even if you have it enabled because we've found that the stick simply cannot handle the software decoding in VLC for higher res content.

Nebular Nerd

One other thing which you may have tried but I was just testing on the stick and performance was horrible (across the board - all apps).  I re-started the device by going into the settings menu and selecting "Restart" and performance got much better (albeit still not stellar as this device never is).

Also, the current version of the ATV app will only use VLC for SD content even if you have it enabled because we've found that the stick simply cannot handle the software decoding in VLC for higher res content.

Regarding the Direct/V or Direct/I boxes, I could of phrased that better but yes you are correct in that they display correctly depending on VLC being active or not, I'm guessing the 'Direct/' part is the important factor for streaming rather than transcoding.

This does come back to my original post, if VLC lacks hardware decoding then the Stick TV as a platform will suffer unless you heavily transcode, what is the major downer is that the older MediaBrowser and earliest Emby branded builds are actually better suited to the Stick than the current app because of the 'Play In External' feature, the Stick TV cpu is useless no two ways about it but it's little gpu is actually really good and with acceleration the Stick will play back everything bar the highest bit rate Blu-Ray rips (Avatar) even happily downmixing the TrueHD and DTS Master audio tracks to stereo without need to transcode.

By the sounds of it unless the VLC player gets a hardware acceleration upgrade I shall be better off digging up an older .apk that still has the external ability and stay with that.

I shall give the stick a restart to see if that helps, it's been running 24/7 since I bought it without a restart to my knowledge.

I've never had much luck with the AFTV Stick.   The latest build seems worse, about half my titles wont play even though they show up as "Direct".    I have much better results using my stupid "Samsung Smart TV" app for Emby...but that experience is very slllowwww until the movie gets playing.

Can anyone tell me if the full-sized AFTV is better at decoding?

So I take this back.  My App wasn't auto-updating for some reason.  The newest build is friggin awesome!!!!

Something I noticed though, since I was toying with it before and after the install of the 1.1 build.....while in general everything responds much nicer, and doesn't lock up.....it's now not giving me "Direct" on the same content it used it.  

I wouldn't mind this except that it seems like when movies are Transcoded I don't get 5.1 sound.   Is this expected behavior?

So I take this back.  My App wasn't auto-updating for some reason.  The newest build is friggin awesome!!!!

Something I noticed though, since I was toying with it before and after the install of the 1.1 build.....while in general everything responds much nicer, and doesn't lock up.....it's now not giving me "Direct" on the same content it used it.  

I wouldn't mind this except that it seems like when movies are Transcoded I don't get 5.1 sound.   Is this expected behavior?

Yes, unfortunately, the stick simply isn't powerful enough to do the direct streaming/local decoding so the newer version restricts that - which is why you saw improved playback.

Also, yes, I can confirm that a full Fire TV is a much better experience (and at this point you can get the newer one which will be even better).  The stick is really not much of a computing device.

ebr, on 25 Sept 2015 - 10:42 AM, said:

Yes, unfortunately, the stick simply isn't powerful enough to do the direct streaming/local decoding so the newer version restricts that - which is why you saw improved playback.

Also, yes, I can confirm that a full Fire TV is a much better experience (and at this point you can get the newer one which will be even better).  The stick is really not much of a computing device.

Thanks for confirming that.  Just pre-ordered the full Amazon TV. 

Love the app, keep up the great work!