Good news!! wmc in windows 10

rrb008

If anyone is interested. Just loaded 10 onto the 3rd PC in the house that was running an old version of media browser 2.?? and opened media center and it was still installed and working fine from initial startup. No live TV on this PC but again all is looking good.

Ray 

Nick's MCE

By the way all

I am very interested in all th work you guys are doing above, I know how much of ball ache it can be trying to get these sort of things to work. Thanks in advance for all the work!!. I am in OZ as well so any info on the TV setup and guides is all welcome.

Licencing, well I have a licence and it's not my fault that Microsoft have abandoned WMC.  I should be able to use my licence on any  version I want as long as it is only installed on 1 PC. Forget about any licencing issues they don't have a leg to stand on.

I will post my results once installed.

Thanks

Nick

By the way all

I am very interested in all th work you guys are doing above, I know how much of ball ache it can be trying to get these sort of things to work. Thanks in advance for all the work!!. I am in OZ as well so any info on the TV setup and guides is all welcome.

Licencing, well I have a licence and it's not my fault that Microsoft have abandoned WMC.  I should be able to use my licence on any  version I want as long as it is only installed on 1 PC. Forget about any licencing issues they don't have a leg to stand on.

I will post my results once installed.

Thanks

Nick

Hey Nick the latest version I have used has not had a problem installing on 2 PCs at this stage. Some of the others I tried did give me some grief or didnt work at all, even those I downloaded from links in this post from people who had them work. I have put a mega link (a couple of posts up) if you want to give that version a try (supposedly the latest release) Not sure if I uploaded properly or shared so any probs let me know. As for tv and epg I just went through  the general WMC setup as done when I had it on windows 7.  One PC has a avermedia dual channel unit, 2nd PC has 2 dual channel TV cards both different but cant think of the brands? All are PCI-E or PCI boards. All of my PCs are upgraded from windows 7 and not clean installs of 10 so not sure if that makes a difference.

As for Licensing there is nowhere it asked for. it a moral thing if you think it is right or wrong. that is something for the individual to decide 

Ray

RobsterUK

The good folks over at MyDigitalLife have been working on WMC in Windows 10 for a few months now.

Firstly they were using a version ported from the W10 preview build early in Alpha testing.
This has proved to be very troublesome.

They have now switched their focus to a revised port of the Windows 8.1 WMC.

This thread (registration required to get dl links) http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/61061-DISCUSSION-Patch-WMC-to-run-on-Windows-10-final-amp-possible-alternatives

I have the current version (WMC 8.1) available here for those interested https://www.dropbox.com/s/7skofkkk1iohlng/WindowsMediaCenter_6.3.9600.16384_x64_v6.7z?dl=0

The WMC 10 version was having issues with the guide listings amongst others. They got as far as version 2.

But the WMC 8.1 is performing much better & they are up to version 6 now

For those who are looking for XBOX 360 Extender support - as it stands - you are out of luck for the moment.
They cannot seem to get that working.

Extender support relies on RDP, & W10 uses a different version than the WMC 8.1 build.

I've got WMC installed on 3 W10 machines so far. Only having issues with my main rig. Previsouly this had 7 Ultimate. Tried the WMC10 version but it wouldn't install. The included un-installer didn't do anything either. But the un-installer included with the WMC 8.1 version ran OK. Then I was able to install the WMC 8.1 version after a reboot.

I haven't tried Emby with this yet but I am planning on doing so over the next few days.

I've still got WMC7 as my main HTPC using it for Live TV and Classsic Emby.
Interested in testing all of this out with a view to upgrade the HTPC to W10 & WMC v? and Emby at some point in the near future.

Edited by RobsterUK

Yeah, I've tried to hold my tongue but I don't know what you guys are so excited about.  If you have an HTPC based on WMC then Win 7 or 8.1 should work great for it.

Going this kind of hacked-in route is probably going to leave you guys hanging one morning after an update to something that you had no control over.

But, I guess it is good fun if you like tweaking :).  Normal users should be wary.

• Like 1

anyone tried to launch the configurator to set an external player? i want to use mpc-hc and it's just displaying an error when i launch it and crashing as soon as i hit external players

http://imgur.com/xzZ2ZJX

tried on 2 separate computers, same result

Edited by gedads

anyone tried to launch the configurator to set an external player? i want to use mpc-hc and it's just displaying an error when i launch it and crashing as soon as i hit external players

The configurator will not work because it can't find the proper version of WMC.

Problem starting MBC configirator on Win 10

Schimi

has anyone a MCE Remote working?

In Win8.1 it works out of the box but in Win10 no....

maybe i do something wrong :-)

Is there a way to input external player manually?

or does it mean we're stuck with default player making wmc useless to me without mpc-hc... and emby theatre player having far less customization and functionnality and quality

Anyone know a good alternative to wmc+media browser for windows 10? (i don't like kodi ,emby theatre is just not good to me  and i already own windows 8 app which isn't great (i was never able to use the play to function to play from the asusT100 through the htpc and display on tv)but not a big deal about wasted money since it was not so expensive) and also i don't want to go back to win 7 or 8 (got plenty of change since mediabrowser and a lot of new files appearing in each movie folder : jpg , wrong photo displayed overwritting my folder.jpg etc, it's maybe time to change the way  i do things)

Edited by gedads

pritch33

I have the media browser classic configurator 3.0.2.083.0 working on mine or at least opens Ok? it has daemon tools intstalled in the iso section although I dont run Daemon  anymore as I have not used Iso for movies for some years. I clicked on the add an external player and it opens another screen to locate the location of required program but I dont have anything installed as external player. Running latest server and Emby version and the not sure which version of media center hack latest or second latest release 6.?. 64 bit I have come across a problem with recording and need to take a look at that. It records but recordings set at later period are not. Ithink it has something to do with when you close WMC down it does not start the recordings, works fine if WMC is left open I beleive. Have not checked all my other installs to see if all is ok with them as far as configurator but will try take a look at them (running 32 bit )

I did notice on one of my PCs running version 2.6 Media browser that the configurator was not there at all???? but have not taken a good look at it as it had what I needed working at the time. Again something I need to look at or consider upgrading it to version 3

Emby 

Ray

I saw earlier in this thread that the earlier versions of this hack were using a version of WMC from the pre-release of Win 10 and later versions were actually using an 8.1 version.  Its possible that the latter would allow the configurator to work.

pritch33

I saw earlier in this thread that the earlier versions of this hack were using a version of WMC from the pre-release of Win 10 and later versions were actually using an 8.1 version.  Its possible that the latter would allow the configurator to work.

Could be the reason?

So far overall its been pretty good other than my small recording issue I mentioned. From what I have been reading this was supposed to have been fixed, but the thread on MDL is so long I have only been skipping through it all LOL. Anyway its keeping me occupied until the new ET release comes out.

I have the media browser classic configurator 3.0.2.083.0 working on mine or at least opens Ok?

tested both WindowsMediaCenter_10.0.10134.0v2.1 and WindowsMediaCenter_10.0.10134.0 without luck, i don't know which version allows you to click on external player without crashing but could you share the link to download it?

i'll try with those old ones: http://imgur.com/vVoU5hp

I don't think i have the version you mentioned 3.0.02.083 since i was resisting at some point to install newer versions until i have no choice

Edited by gedads

AdrianW

Is there a way to input external player manually?

I had MPC-HC setup as an external play when I was on 8.1 - this carried over to 10. So when I installed the modded version of Media Center, Emby was already installed and MPC-HC was still setup as the external player.

For me the config is in the file %AppData%\MediaBrowser-Classic\Configurations\MBCommonXml.config

Here's the contents of mine - you should be able to edit yours to match:

<Settings>
  <FindServerAutomatically>True</FindServerAutomatically>
  <ShowServerSelection>False</ShowServerSelection>
  <ServerAddress>
  </ServerAddress>
  <ServerPort>8096</ServerPort>
  <LastServerMacAddress>xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx</LastServerMacAddress>
  <LogonAutomatically>False</LogonAutomatically>
  <SavePassword>True</SavePassword>
  <AutoLogonUserName>
  </AutoLogonUserName>
  <AutoLogonPw>
  </AutoLogonPw>
  <WakeServer>True</WakeServer>
  <EnableAutoLogoff>False</EnableAutoLogoff>
  <AutoLogoffTimeOut>180</AutoLogoffTimeOut>
  <WarnOnStream>True</WarnOnStream>
  <LocalMaxBitrate>30</LocalMaxBitrate>
  <RemoteMaxBitrate>2</RemoteMaxBitrate>
  <DisableMcConflictingOperations>False</DisableMcConflictingOperations>
  <DisableCustomPlayerForDvd>False</DisableCustomPlayerForDvd>
  <WeatherLocation>
  </WeatherLocation>
  <WeatherUnit>f</WeatherUnit>
  <LastNagDate>1/01/0001 12:00:00 AM</LastNagDate>
  <ConnectUserId>
  </ConnectUserId>
  <ConnectUserToken>
  </ConnectUserToken>
  <DefaultMessageTimeout>30</DefaultMessageTimeout>
  <EnableUpdates>True</EnableUpdates>
  <EnableSilentUpdates>True</EnableSilentUpdates>
  <SystemUpdateClass>Dev</SystemUpdateClass>
  <PluginUpdateClass>Dev</PluginUpdateClass>
  <ExternalPlayers>
    <ExternalPlayer>
      <SupportsMultiFileCommandArguments>True</SupportsMultiFileCommandArguments>
      <SupportsPlaylists>True</SupportsPlaylists>
      <LaunchType>CommandLine</LaunchType>
      <ExternalPlayerName>MPC-HC</ExternalPlayerName>
      <MediaTypes>
        <MediaType>Unknown</MediaType>
        <MediaType>Asf</MediaType>
        <MediaType>Avi</MediaType>
        <MediaType>BluRay</MediaType>
        <MediaType>DVD</MediaType>
        <MediaType>Dvrms</MediaType>
        <MediaType>F4v</MediaType>
        <MediaType>Flv</MediaType>
        <MediaType>HDDVD</MediaType>
        <MediaType>ISO</MediaType>
        <MediaType>M2ts</MediaType>
        <MediaType>M4v</MediaType>
        <MediaType>Mkv</MediaType>
        <MediaType>Mov</MediaType>
        <MediaType>Mp4</MediaType>
        <MediaType>Mpeg</MediaType>
        <MediaType>Mpg</MediaType>
        <MediaType>Ogv</MediaType>
        <MediaType>PlayList</MediaType>
        <MediaType>Threegp</MediaType>
        <MediaType>Ts</MediaType>
        <MediaType>Wmv</MediaType>
        <MediaType>Wtv</MediaType>
        <MediaType>Mk3d</MediaType>
        <MediaType>Video</MediaType>
        <MediaType>Mp3</MediaType>
        <MediaType>Flac</MediaType>
        <MediaType>Wma</MediaType>
      </MediaTypes>
      <VideoFormats>
        <VideoFormat>Standard</VideoFormat>
        <VideoFormat>Digital3D</VideoFormat>
        <VideoFormat>Sbs3D</VideoFormat>
      </VideoFormats>
      <Command>C:\Program Files (x86)\MPC-HC\mpc-hc.exe</Command>
      <Args>{0}</Args>
      <MinimizeMCE>True</MinimizeMCE>
      <ShowSplashScreen>True</ShowSplashScreen>
      <HideTaskbar>False</HideTaskbar>
    </ExternalPlayer>
  </ExternalPlayers>
  <MBInstallDir>file:\C:\Program Files (x86)\MediaBrowser\MediaBrowser</MBInstallDir>
  <ExtenderNativeTypes>.dvr-ms,.wmv</ExtenderNativeTypes>
  <UseAutoPlayForIso>False</UseAutoPlayForIso>
  <EnableTranscode360>False</EnableTranscode360>
  <MBVersion>3.0.284.0</MBVersion>
  <IsFirstRun>False</IsFirstRun>
  <EnableMouseHook>True</EnableMouseHook>
  <AutoValidate>True</AutoValidate>
  <OverScanScaling>
    <X>1</X>
    <Y>1</Y>
    <Z>1</Z>
  </OverScanScaling>
  <OverScanPadding>
    <Bottom>0</Bottom>
    <Left>0</Left>
    <Right>0</Right>
    <Top>0</Top>
  </OverScanPadding>
  <BreadcrumbCountLimit>2</BreadcrumbCountLimit>
  <DaemonToolsLocation>C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Lite\daemon.exe</DaemonToolsLocation>
  <DaemonToolsDrive>E</DaemonToolsDrive>
  <EnableTraceLogging>True</EnableTraceLogging>
  <MinLoggingSeverity>Debug</MinLoggingSeverity>
  <LogFileRetentionDays>30</LogFileRetentionDays>
  <CacheFileRetentionDays>45</CacheFileRetentionDays>
  <LastFileCleanup>25/09/2015 9:13:38 AM</LastFileCleanup>
  <UserTileColor>DarkBlue</UserTileColor>
  <LoginBgColor>Black</LoginBgColor>
  <MaxPrimaryWidth>350</MaxPrimaryWidth>
  <MaxThumbWidth>500</MaxThumbWidth>
  <MaxBannerWidth>500</MaxBannerWidth>
  <MaxBackgroundWidth>1920</MaxBackgroundWidth>
  <MaxLogoWidth>400</MaxLogoWidth>
  <MaxArtWidth>400</MaxArtWidth>
  <MaxDiscWidth>300</MaxDiscWidth>
  <JpgImageQuality>90</JpgImageQuality>
  <UseCustomStreamingUrl>False</UseCustomStreamingUrl>
  <CustomStreamingUrl>http://{0}/mediabrowser/Videos/{1}/stream?Static=True</CustomStreamingUrl>
  <StartupParms>
  </StartupParms>
  <HttpTimeout>40000</HttpTimeout>
</Settings>
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Radical924

Okay so after doing some digging and asking around I got Media Center Extenders working in Windows Media Center on Windows 10! Okay so all you do is install windows media center by downloading this file here: https://app.box.com/s/q84prsjmvevf3jie50mlbo4pbkmokha9 and following the instructions or if you want the most recent version go to this forum here: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/61061-DISCUSSION-Patch-WMC-to-run-on-Windows-10-final-amp-possible-alternatives/page125?p=1142647#post1142647 after you've installed it setup Windows Media Center as usual. Then follow OPTION 1 on this page here: http://www.mysysadmintips.com/windows/clients/545-multiple-rdp-remote-desktop-sessions-in-windows-10

Multiple RDP (Remote Desktop) sessions in Windows 10 Option 1

To have concurrent user sessions working in Windows 10, you need to make small changes to termsrv.dll file. This file is located in C:\Windows\System32 folder. Before modifying termsrv.dll for the first time, you need to take ownership and assign yourself full permissions. You also need to stop Remote Desktop service (TermService) if it's running.

DLL files can be modified using any HEX Editor (for example Tiny Hexer). Instead of modifying the file yourself, you can download patched version from the link below.

Windows 10 x64 RTM (August 2015)

termsrv.dll file version 10.0.10240.16384.

In termsrv.dll find:

39 81 3C 06 00 00 0F 84 73 42 02 00

and replace it with:

B8 00 01 00 00 89 81 38 06 00 00 90

Patched version can be downloaded from here. Original, untouched version of termsrv.dll v10.0.10240.16384 can be downloaded from here.

After that has been done restart your computer. Then make sure the Media Center Extender Service in services.msc is running and setup your media center extender as you would on other versions of windows! After that I'd say install Emby for WMC and set it up and your good to go!

• Like 3

Xzener

Nice find. Wondering when an update will break all of your guys' hard work. Hopefully it will not happen.

pritch33

Nice find. Wondering when an update will break all of your guys' hard work. Hopefully it will not happen.

Hopefully after the new release of Emby Theater  :)

I had MPC-HC setup as an external play when I was on 8.1 - this carried over to 10. So when I installed the modded version of Media Center, Emby was already installed and MPC-HC was still setup as the external player.

For me the config is in the file %AppData%\MediaBrowser-Classic\Configurations\MBCommonXml.config

Here's the contents of mine - you should be able to edit yours to match:

<Settings>
  <FindServerAutomatically>True</FindServerAutomatically>
  <ShowServerSelection>False</ShowServerSelection>
  <ServerAddress>
  </ServerAddress>
  <ServerPort>8096</ServerPort>
  <LastServerMacAddress>xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx</LastServerMacAddress>
  <LogonAutomatically>False</LogonAutomatically>
  <SavePassword>True</SavePassword>
  <AutoLogonUserName>
  </AutoLogonUserName>
  <AutoLogonPw>
  </AutoLogonPw>
  <WakeServer>True</WakeServer>
  <EnableAutoLogoff>False</EnableAutoLogoff>
  <AutoLogoffTimeOut>180</AutoLogoffTimeOut>
  <WarnOnStream>True</WarnOnStream>
  <LocalMaxBitrate>30</LocalMaxBitrate>
  <RemoteMaxBitrate>2</RemoteMaxBitrate>
  <DisableMcConflictingOperations>False</DisableMcConflictingOperations>
  <DisableCustomPlayerForDvd>False</DisableCustomPlayerForDvd>
  <WeatherLocation>
  </WeatherLocation>
  <WeatherUnit>f</WeatherUnit>
  <LastNagDate>1/01/0001 12:00:00 AM</LastNagDate>
  <ConnectUserId>
  </ConnectUserId>
  <ConnectUserToken>
  </ConnectUserToken>
  <DefaultMessageTimeout>30</DefaultMessageTimeout>
  <EnableUpdates>True</EnableUpdates>
  <EnableSilentUpdates>True</EnableSilentUpdates>
  <SystemUpdateClass>Dev</SystemUpdateClass>
  <PluginUpdateClass>Dev</PluginUpdateClass>
  <ExternalPlayers>
    <ExternalPlayer>
      <SupportsMultiFileCommandArguments>True</SupportsMultiFileCommandArguments>
      <SupportsPlaylists>True</SupportsPlaylists>
      <LaunchType>CommandLine</LaunchType>
      <ExternalPlayerName>MPC-HC</ExternalPlayerName>
      <MediaTypes>
        <MediaType>Unknown</MediaType>
        <MediaType>Asf</MediaType>
        <MediaType>Avi</MediaType>
        <MediaType>BluRay</MediaType>
        <MediaType>DVD</MediaType>
        <MediaType>Dvrms</MediaType>
        <MediaType>F4v</MediaType>
        <MediaType>Flv</MediaType>
        <MediaType>HDDVD</MediaType>
        <MediaType>ISO</MediaType>
        <MediaType>M2ts</MediaType>
        <MediaType>M4v</MediaType>
        <MediaType>Mkv</MediaType>
        <MediaType>Mov</MediaType>
        <MediaType>Mp4</MediaType>
        <MediaType>Mpeg</MediaType>
        <MediaType>Mpg</MediaType>
        <MediaType>Ogv</MediaType>
        <MediaType>PlayList</MediaType>
        <MediaType>Threegp</MediaType>
        <MediaType>Ts</MediaType>
        <MediaType>Wmv</MediaType>
        <MediaType>Wtv</MediaType>
        <MediaType>Mk3d</MediaType>
        <MediaType>Video</MediaType>
        <MediaType>Mp3</MediaType>
        <MediaType>Flac</MediaType>
        <MediaType>Wma</MediaType>
      </MediaTypes>
      <VideoFormats>
        <VideoFormat>Standard</VideoFormat>
        <VideoFormat>Digital3D</VideoFormat>
        <VideoFormat>Sbs3D</VideoFormat>
      </VideoFormats>
      <Command>C:\Program Files (x86)\MPC-HC\mpc-hc.exe</Command>
      <Args>{0}</Args>
      <MinimizeMCE>True</MinimizeMCE>
      <ShowSplashScreen>True</ShowSplashScreen>
      <HideTaskbar>False</HideTaskbar>
    </ExternalPlayer>
  </ExternalPlayers>
  <MBInstallDir>file:\C:\Program Files (x86)\MediaBrowser\MediaBrowser</MBInstallDir>
  <ExtenderNativeTypes>.dvr-ms,.wmv</ExtenderNativeTypes>
  <UseAutoPlayForIso>False</UseAutoPlayForIso>
  <EnableTranscode360>False</EnableTranscode360>
  <MBVersion>3.0.284.0</MBVersion>
  <IsFirstRun>False</IsFirstRun>
  <EnableMouseHook>True</EnableMouseHook>
  <AutoValidate>True</AutoValidate>
  <OverScanScaling>
    <X>1</X>
    <Y>1</Y>
    <Z>1</Z>
  </OverScanScaling>
  <OverScanPadding>
    <Bottom>0</Bottom>
    <Left>0</Left>
    <Right>0</Right>
    <Top>0</Top>
  </OverScanPadding>
  <BreadcrumbCountLimit>2</BreadcrumbCountLimit>
  <DaemonToolsLocation>C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Lite\daemon.exe</DaemonToolsLocation>
  <DaemonToolsDrive>E</DaemonToolsDrive>
  <EnableTraceLogging>True</EnableTraceLogging>
  <MinLoggingSeverity>Debug</MinLoggingSeverity>
  <LogFileRetentionDays>30</LogFileRetentionDays>
  <CacheFileRetentionDays>45</CacheFileRetentionDays>
  <LastFileCleanup>25/09/2015 9:13:38 AM</LastFileCleanup>
  <UserTileColor>DarkBlue</UserTileColor>
  <LoginBgColor>Black</LoginBgColor>
  <MaxPrimaryWidth>350</MaxPrimaryWidth>
  <MaxThumbWidth>500</MaxThumbWidth>
  <MaxBannerWidth>500</MaxBannerWidth>
  <MaxBackgroundWidth>1920</MaxBackgroundWidth>
  <MaxLogoWidth>400</MaxLogoWidth>
  <MaxArtWidth>400</MaxArtWidth>
  <MaxDiscWidth>300</MaxDiscWidth>
  <JpgImageQuality>90</JpgImageQuality>
  <UseCustomStreamingUrl>False</UseCustomStreamingUrl>
  <CustomStreamingUrl>http://{0}/mediabrowser/Videos/{1}/stream?Static=True</CustomStreamingUrl>
  <StartupParms>
  </StartupParms>
  <HttpTimeout>40000</HttpTimeout>
</Settings>

Thanks...It worked perfectly for me on Windows 10 with latest Emby Media Browser

lexisdude

The error comes after this line in the installer file.

%windir%\system32\dism.exe /Quiet /Apply-Image /ImageFile:MediaCenter.wim /Index:1 /ApplyDir:%SystemDrive%\ 

Error: 5

access denied

Error 5 from dism is caused from a protection feature in either a virus scanner or Windows protection - to stop overwrites to system critical files, replacing protected drivers, etc. 

Edited by lexisdude

Sorry but I wonder what the advantages of Windows 10 over Windows 7-8 when is used as a HTPC machine... I think only headaches.

From the time that Windows 10 did not incorporate WMC, to my stillborn.

Windows 7 support is until 2020 and 2023 for Windows 8, so do not understand why you want to switch to Windows 10.

It is just my opinion but until 2020 it can change many things even a new Windows 11 or 12 finally incorporating WMC or something similar.

In my case I'm happy with Windows 7+Emby Server+WMC+Emby Classic+all codecs working as I want it.

Edited by Teddy

pritch33

Sorry but I wonder what the advantages of Windows 10 over Windows 7-8 when is used as a HTPC machine... I think only headaches.

From the time that Windows 10 did not incorporate WMC, to my stillborn.

Windows 7 support is until 2020 and 2023 for Windows 8, so do not understand why you want to switch to Windows 10.

It is just my opinion but until 2020 it can change many things even a new Windows 11 or 12 finally incorporating WMC or something similar.

In my case I'm happy with Windows 7+Emby Server+WMC+Emby Classic+all codecs working as I want it.

No advantage that I can see. I never liked 8 and 8.1 and felt it was time to update my PCs operating system. I have 3 connected to TVs so they are not just HTPC but also general use PCs or 2 of the 3 are 1 is pretty much only used as a HTPC (bedroom). The wife wants to go back to 7 on her unit but that has just been reformatted but I am trying to get her to stick with 10. Just waiting on ET new release before we decide.

Ray

I undertand you Ray, each person has their own preferences and your own world.

When was I dismissed Windows 8 as well.
The problem with Windows 7 is when support ends the the TV EPG too, but as I think is the best Microsoft OS with XP as far.

Edited by Teddy