Having a heck of a time trying to just add media

dogeemby

dogeemby

Hi all,

Just installed emby-server to an ubuntu box I have.  As part of the install I told it to run as a user that has access to the shares that I would be using with emby.  It didn't seem to do anything after I hit enter on that, it just seemed to exit the install.

ps aux shows it running as the user emby.  I then stopped the service and did a dpkg-reconfigure and again told it to run as the right user.  Checked ps aux again and it still appears to be running as the user emby.  The webui is intermittently becoming unresponsive until I reload the page as well.  Plenty of resources available on the server.

No clue why that is happening.  In a likely related note, if I try to add media, it lets me enter the path to the folder I want emby to reference for movies, but once I get to a certain point in that path, it drops me back to the login screen.  This is an endless loop.  I must be doing something wrong, but it seems like emby isn't behaving.

Would love some guidance here.

Hi all,

Just installed emby-server to an ubuntu box I have.  As part of the install I told it to run as a user that has access to the shares that I would be using with emby.  It didn't seem to do anything after I hit enter on that, it just seemed to exit the install.

ps aux shows it running as the user emby.  I then stopped the service and did a dpkg-reconfigure and again told it to run as the right user.  Checked ps aux again and it still appears to be running as the user emby.  The webui is intermittently becoming unresponsive until I reload the page as well.  Plenty of resources available on the server.

No clue why that is happening.  In a likely related note, if I try to add media, it lets me enter the path to the folder I want emby to reference for movies, but once I get to a certain point in that path, it drops me back to the login screen.  This is an endless loop.  I must be doing something wrong, but it seems like emby isn't behaving.

Would love some guidance here.

Would be good if you could post your logs. if you have issues using the ubuntu package, just do a manual install (I did so on ubuntu) and I can confirm that I can change and run it as any user I want and pretty much everything works fine.

are you trying to add shares (nfs/samba/?) or is it just directories on your server?

I have uninstalled emby.  Close this thread, please.

Would be good if you could post your logs. if you have issues using the ubuntu package, just do a manual install (I did so on ubuntu) and I can confirm that I can change and run it as any user I want and pretty much everything works fine.

are you trying to add shares (nfs/samba/?) or is it just directories on your server?

Emby-server.log can be found here:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/12390651/

The shares are SMB shares.  I would rather work with the package that exists in the repos rather than compiling by myself if possible.

If it's dropping you to the login screen there are two problems. One is the server is getting access denied errors when getting to access those locations, probably due to permissions. Second, the server is misinterpreting access denied as user access denied and logging out your session. That second issue I will resolve for the next release to instead show a friendly error message

If it's dropping you to the login screen there are two problems. One is the server is getting access denied errors when getting to access those locations, probably due to permissions. Second, the server is misinterpreting access denied as user access denied and logging out your session. That second issue I will resolve for the next release to instead show a friendly error message

Hi Luke,

What I don't understand is why there are permissions errors.  During the installation I am telling emby to run as a user with the appropriate permissions, yet it does not seem to do so.  Can you elaborate on what I am doing wrong or what is happening here?

thanks!