Moving from Plex to Emby - Subtitles?

jimphreak
Go to solution Solved by shorty1483,

jimphreak

I'm considering a move from Plex to Emby (so far I like what I see) but with me being very new to Emby I'm having trouble figuring out subtitles.  I have external subtitles on most of my movies that have foreign speaking parts since I never seem to find good forced English subs for foreign speaking parts only included in the movies I "obtain."  Most of the movies I get just come with full English subs which I have no use for so I wouldn't want those playing automatically.

I see where you can define how subtitles are handled in each user's settings, however I don't seem to see any option when going to play a movie to manually select a subtitle like I can in Plex.  Since my subs aren't considered forced, and I don't want all English subs to play by default since many of my moives have full English subs embedded, I need to be able to manually select a subtitle before the movie starts.

Is this possible in Emby?

You can change subtitles once a movie starts using the in-video menu. We currently don't have manual control prior to playback but it's something we can look at.

jimphreak

You can batch rename the subtitles after this scheme:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Subtitles

In user preferences you can choose just to play forced subs so you don't even need to choose one before playing a file.

Gesendet von meinem HTC One_M8 mit Tapatalk

I literally just read that and was coming back here to ask a question.

Do I want to label them .forced or .foreign?  These are english subs that only have text during parts of movies that have foreign audio.  I guess it doesn't matter as both labels will have the same effect?

Edited by jimphreak

• Solution
shorty1483

I literally just read that and was coming back here to ask a question.

Do I want to label them .forced or .foreign?  These are english subs that only have text during parts of movies that have foreign audio.  I guess it doesn't matter as both labels will have the same effect?

In your case, yes, no matter what you choose. I would name them forced. 

• Like 1

jimphreak

How does Emby handle embedded subs that have the forced tag on them since I'm thinking about remuxing all my files this weekend so that my subs are embedded into MKV files.