Problems with parental control

tp546

Hey guys, my nephew is coming to visit so I set up a username for him to be able to watch TV/Movies. I set his access to a maximum rating of TV-Y7 (I also blocked content with no rating) but I am getting movies showing up that are clearly rated R and reflected that way within the Emby interface. Am I misunderstanding how to set this up or is it not working properly?

Both of those have unrecognized rating values.  That is the problem.  Some provider is starting to put some really strange ratings in there.

Both of those have unrecognized rating values.  That is the problem.  Some provider is starting to put some really strange ratings in there.

I see what you mean - so rather than "Rated R for .....", it should have a value of simply "R"?

I see what you mean - so rather than "Rated R for .....", it should have a value of simply "R"?

No, that's purely a description.  The actual rating is "36".  We are trying to figure out where that is coming from.

Ohhh - wait a minute.

The rating is the exact same thing as the Critic Rating.  Looks like a bug in a provider...

No, that's purely a description.  The actual rating is "36".  We are trying to figure out where that is coming from.

I don't think it is a coincidence that both of them match the rotten tomatoes score...

I don't think it is a coincidence that both of them match the rotten tomatoes score...

Possible I'm mis-interpreting that field in the display too.  Maybe that is something else.  If you edit that item, what is shown in the Parental Rating field?

Deathsquirrel

Sometimes the ratings metadata sources are full of 'interesting' data.  I run the reports tool and sort my movies by rating to spot the occasional problem child and correct it.

Possible I'm mis-interpreting that field in the display too.  Maybe that is something else.  If you edit that item, what is shown in the Parental Rating field?

Okay so I edited the field that had "Rated R for...." and just changed it to "R" and now it functions properly (excludes as it should), but it still shows up with that number twice - is this correct?

55e73cdd4276f_Screenshot20150902141612.p

Okay, so you were right.  That was the rating field.

We need to figure out where that came from...

i use metabrowser in combo with emby so there is a chance it is coming from that. not sure how to check that though

Deathsquirrel

i use metabrowser in combo with emby so there is a chance it is coming from that. not sure how to check that though

I haven't used metabrowser in forever and that kind of rating still sometimes happens to me.  I assume some chucklehead edits the movie article on the metadata site to be 'helpful' and I just happen to hit the article before it's corrected.