Music Tags

Mazter Jedi

Mazter Jedi

Sorry if this is in the wrong category.

Although I have been using MB for years, I just recently put my music on it to stream out and about. I primarily listen to Heavy Metal, and have all my metal bands in a folder called Metal on the server. I added this folder to the library. Although there is other music on the drive, only this folder has been added to the library. Why is is then that after the media scan, when I go to music--genres, I have Metal, Rock, Pop, Other, Country, etc...when metal is the only music type. So i looked in editing the genre tag, but on 7000 files thats rediculous. How do tell MB that this folder, and everything inside it, is one genre, and leave it alone?

Use something like media monkey that will allow you to edit all tags for all files at once. then emby will see the changes and adjust.

Deathsquirrel

I use MP3Tag for that sort of work.  Makes it easy to select all tracks by one band and set a common genre and band name spelling.

• Like 1

aspdend

I use MP3Tag for that sort of work.  Makes it easy to select all tracks by one band and set a common genre and band name spelling.

mp3 tag for me too - I find that's the best option for my needs

I use a couple of different tools, depending on how much I need to mess with my library.

1. Mp3Tag - I use this a lot. First I have it set in the context menu, so when Emby displays something wrong from the tags I can quickly fix it. The other place where it shines is the Actions menu. It allowed me to very quickly change a large number of files (like Mashup, Mash up, etc. to Mash-up per my preference) or to find and replace "and" or "feat." with a proper delimiter. The interface is pretty bare-bones, but this is a powerful tool. There is a reason a lot of people here recommend it.

2. MediaMonkey - this is what I use to rip CDs and the only thing I can rely on to get the folder.jpg in the right place and as the right image. I buy CDs at live shows from local/small bands and MediaMonkey (or rather the metadata tools) are really good at getting those right.

3. MusicBrainz Picard - my go-to for getting the directory structure right. I also have a variety of samplers, either from Amazon or from various give-aways from labels/stations. It is generally good at finding the original album the song is from, which I prefer over getting lumped into my already large "Various Artist" category.

Mazter Jedi

One more question...How to I get MB to display a new genre? I really like 80's tunes. So i created a folder called 80's and added it to the library. I even editing the mp3 tags to mark the genre as "80's". This is simply because a lot of the 80's music I like isn't one particular style of music. Anyway, when i browse the Genres tab, it wont display 80's, even after using Genre Cleaner. How might I accomplish this?

I don't use Genre Cleaner, so I can't say if it works on Music or if it undid your changes.

How did you tag the Genre? Did you use delimiters (like "80s; Pop") or just 80s? Are you writing ID3v2 tags (genre support is shaky on ID3v1 tags) and is the genre showing up when you look at the Album you have tagged?

Mazter Jedi

Honestly, I just used mp3tag to edit the tag and songs are still identified and categorized wrong. And I hope this isnt taken the wrong way, but Plex is better for music. Emby does everything I want it to do with the rest of my media. I know it pulls alot of the metadate info from other sources, but Plex just plain does a better job of getting it right the first time. I installed Plex server and loaded up my music. So far I have had to manually edit 3 songs. I dont know what Plex does differently, but it does is better. 

Again, I am in no way saying Plex is better. Emby is better. But there is one aspect that Plex does better. So, until I can get Emby to identify tunes correctly without potentially manually fixing 35,696 files, Ill continue to run Emby on my xbox, android, roku, chromecast, and PC, but I will use Plex for streaming music.

Deathsquirrel

Honestly, I just used mp3tag to edit the tag and songs are still identified and categorized wrong.

Right, you edited what tag?  If you open those songs up in MP3Tag does it show '80s' in the genre field?

If so do a refresh on the album in the metadata editor and the genre data should update to reflect your changes.