How to record live TV?

LOD

Hi, 

Thank you for a great product! 

I installed the new beta server the other day to get the live TV. Works well, but I can't figure out how to record. Do I have to use an external service or is this handled within emby?I haven't added the TV schedule - is that required? If so, are there any alternative schedule provider that can be used? 

The other small thing is that if changing channels it takes 10-25 sec to change channel when watching live. Is there a way to speed this up? I'm currently using a HDhomerun together with a Emby on a linux install (openmediavault).

Thanks for the quick reply. I heard that the Emby team offered good support and this confirms it. 

I added the schedule direct, and waited until it had pulled the data, and yes, I now see the record button, but it doesn't record. Where can I see the error logs? It shows that it records in the schedule, but nothings shows up in the recordings section (or in the actual folder I added). Permission issues?

It could be permissions or that there was no tuner available at the time.

We'd need to see the server log from when it attempted the recording.

2015-08-30 17:14:09.2328 Error - App: Error recording stream
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 3.0.5713.1
	Command line: /opt/emby/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -programdata /media/emby -restartpath /usr/sbin/emby.sh
	Operating system: Unix 3.2.0.4
	Processor count: 4
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: True
	Program data path: /media/emby
	Mono: 4.0.3 (Stable 4.0.3.20/d6946b4 Tue Aug  4 09:43:57 UTC 2015)
	Application Path: /opt/emby/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe
	Access to the path "/media/TV-DVR/Series" is denied.
	System.UnauthorizedAccessException
	  at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectoriesInternal (System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
	  at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory (System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
	  at System.IO.DirectoryInfo.Create () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
	  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.DirectoryInfo:Create ()
	  at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectoriesInternal (System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
	  at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory (System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
	  at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.LiveTv.EmbyTV.EmbyTV+<RecordStream>d__63.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
	--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
	  at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
	  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
	  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
	  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
	  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ConfiguredTaskAwaitable+ConfiguredTaskAwaiter.GetResult () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
	  at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.LiveTv.EmbyTV.EmbyTV+<_timerProvider_TimerFired>d__59.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

It looks to me that it can't create the folders. Errors for Movies shows "Access to the path "/media/TV-DVR/Movies" is denied." If I create a folder named Movies, the error changes to the next step /Movies/Die another day. 

The recording path I specified in the settings is: /media/TV-DVR/

Edited by LOD

Ok - got it fixed by the friendly folks (and especially tekkb) over at openmediavault. Here's the instructions if you run the emby server on openmedivault: 

The folder that you want to be able to write the recordings too you need to change to one leve above it so you can list it. Then run this command:
chown -R emby:users foldername

You also need to add emby to the users group with this command:
usermod -a -G users emby