Differences between Emby Clients and operational question

slogic

Hello,

I'm attempting to switch from Plex/TabloTV to Emby to resolve stability issues (Roku 3 will hang if you attempt to FF over commercials, almost every time. WAF is at an all time low).

With Luke's help I was able to get my library playing through the Roku client, I bought a newer HDHR to support DLNA, and set up live TV. It went fairly smoothly, I just have a few questions about the layout and the expected operation, as I understand I'm running a beta so there may issues.

When a show is set to record, let's say for example at 8pm; I arrive home at 8:15 and want to start watching from the beginning. Most products I've used (SageTV, Tablo, etc) I could either 1) select the show in the guide to watch and it would start from the beginning or 2) go to recordings and select the show and start watching from the start of the recording. With Emby, if I go to the guide it starts playing the show at it's current position (Live) and if I go to recordings, I can't start it from there, I've noticed two different behaviors: either the show is present and when I try to play it will not be found, or it won't appear at all. in either case, when the show is over it will be available and I can then play it. Is this the way it's intended to work, or do I have an issue I need to troubleshoot? If this is the way it is supposed to work, are there any plans to change this to be able to watch something that has already started without waiting until it is over?

Last question, the guide option on the Roku and FireTV is OK, but my wife would prefer the traditional grid layout that appears in Emby on an Android tablet. I'm willing to replace the Roku if there is another TV connected client such as Android TV (Nvidia Shield), HTPC or something else I could use with a traditional remote. Is anyone aware of the differences in layouts for the LiveTV guide with different clients?

Thanks for everyone's time and help, in only two days I decided to become a lifetime supporter, where despite my long use of Plex I never felt compelled to purchase a PlexPass. You have an excellent community here.

Hi, glad to hear it.

Our live TV features are still evolving and I'm sure we will have those things.

Roku has finally announced new developer libraries that make it easier to do custom layouts so we will be getting started on that in the near future

Here is what the guide looks like on either a Nexus Player, Shield or Fire TV using our app:

5554d3ad255d9_guidefinal1.png