Runing emby at startup in windows 10

lukeh

I'm unable to make emby run at system startup since I updated to windows 10. I believe before it worked but not 100% sure.

Even if I tryed that as a service (with default user there or trying my administrator account) or checked the run at startup from the server's web interface, it only starts when I login with my admin account.

What should I do to have emby started even before I login to my account?

Thanks,

Luke

PS: searched the forum and found mentions of other issues with win 10 when running as a service like media missing or service missing from the list but not this issue I have.

Edited by lukeh

FrostByte

I've had issues with mine since Win10 also.  Use to work perfect before the upgrade, but since I've had to manually start the service after a reboot.

skynet600

Should emby server be running as a service? Mine says stopped with a manual startup status. Seems to work though.

I do have a problem with one of my apps though which decided not to start on reboot. Seems a bit hit and miss.

Edited by skynet600

FrostByte

No, it doesn't have to run as a service.  You can run as a service, OR run Emby with the icon in the tray.  One of the benefits of running as a service though is you don't have to be logged in to run it plus with no user environment loaded from being logged in the server uses less resources.  My server is headless with no users logged in locally, I just remote in typically if needed. 

If you are actually using the computer for other uses then it's probably easier to use the tray icon method for things like auto updating which doesn't work when running as a service

• Like 1

Happy2Play

Just tested this on my test dev server (Windows 10 Pro) and setting user name and password worked without issue, have set to delayed it took a little longer than expected though.

One of the benefits of running as a service though is you don't have to be logged in to run it plus with no user environment loaded from being logged in the server uses less resources.  My server is headless with no users logged in locally, I just remote in typically if needed. 

This is what I want. But even if I setup it as a service it starts only when I log in with administrator user. If other user is logged in server is stopped.

Just tested this on my test dev server (Windows 10 Pro) and setting user name and password worked without issue, have set to delayed it took a little longer than expected though.

Are you logged in with admin rights? Do you have a non admin user to log in (as soon after you boot the system) and check?

FrostByte

Your account also has to have the right to log in as a service.  Being admin doesn't necessarily mean it can

Happy2Play

Are you logged in with admin rights? Do you have a non admin user to log in (as soon after you boot the system) and check?

For me the service is run with a admin user.  And logging in with non admin users has no affect on the service.