Surface Pro as Remote to Server

mishuno

mishuno

Hello,

New to Emby - coming from iTunes and the Apple Remote App on IOS and an Apple TV along with multiple Air Port Express adapters.

Wondering if this is possible with Emby and how I can accomplish this:

I want to install the Emby Server on a Windows 10 Pro PC which houses all of my media - Movies and Music. Lots of them.

I then want to use my Surface Pro 3 and the Emby Windows app on it as a remote control to browse my media library and then send what I want to watch or listen to to any one of my devices on the network. I want to have the stream go from the server directly to the chosen play source. Not through my Surface Pro. I just want the surface to act as a glorified remote control of the Emby Media Server.

For Video I want to stream directly to a DLNA Samsung Smart TV or Roku attached to it and for music to multiple DLNA enabled speakers in the house. As for music can I send multiple streams out? Say to my speakers in the Kitchen and in the Living Room at simultaneously?

I could do this with the Apple system but I have moved over to a Windows based network in the house now and would like to achieve the same functionality.

Thanks for any help/suggestions and advice.

mishuno

Thanks for the quick response.

Does Emby keep the music in sync when it is streaming to multiple speakers in multiple rooms?

Are there any sources of info that you know of documenting this kind of setup and instructions on how to accomplish this?

Spaceboy

Don't believe you can play to multiple speakers like sonos, you can remote to multiple speakers but separate streams. It's been requested

I can't speak for multiple streams, but I can say that I used my Surface Pro 2 to access the web client and then Play To for streaming to my XB1. It worked great. Now that the web client works again on the built in XB1 browser I don't do it as much, but if I had a more complex set-up or was streaming to something that didn't have a browser or app, I would definitely do it again.

Out of curiosity, what type of speakers do you have? Is there a hub that controls all of them, or do you have them stand-alone? I think wireless/connected speakers will be my next project for the house, so wondering how you have yours set up.

mishuno

Raff,

I have B&W self amplified speakers set up in my Kitchen and in my Bedroom (Zeppelins). In my living room I have a set of Kef's.

Each of the B&W's are attached to a small DLNA wireless receiver which I can stream my music to. The Kef's are attached to a Harman Kardon AVR which is DLNA enabled on the network as well. That is also where my TV is.

If Emby can not stream to multiple speakers at once it is a deal breaker for me and I will have to stick with iTunes and the Remote App which does. I really wanted to use something like PLEX or EMBY since I love their interfaces. I am using a Windows app now called rtRemote on my Surface Pro 3 which allows me to remote control iTunes on my PC to send my media to my devices, but the app is very rudimentary and does not have a lot of nice features. I also use the Apple Remote app on my wife's iPad as well which works better.

The Zepps seem to be highly regarded - but they are AirPlay only, correct? My first choice is to not buy any more equipment than I absolutely need.

Second question, actually related to your OP: does iTunes actually keep the two separate streams in sync? As in, if you walk from the kitchen through the living room to the bedroom (assuming that how your home is laid out) is the music completely in sync? If so, how? I don't know how Sonos does it or how well they work, but I am guessing they have some type of feedback to sync the streams.

mishuno

Raff,

I have two Airport Express's attached to the speakers which I can Airplay to. I bought the speakers before they were available with airplay.

You can however also purchase one of these to accomplish the same thing with DLNA: Amazon link.

Yes, iTunes works just like Sonos it that it keeps all music in sync when playing to multiple speakers in multiple rooms. It can not play multiple songs though like Sonos, Only one song at a time. With Sonos you can send different songs to different speakers at once.

Thanks for the info and sorry Emby doesn't have what you need right now. I really like it, so you may want to check back from time to time and see if they add the feature.

mishuno

Raff,

Thanks.

I am going to go with Plex. After more research I have found that Plex will indeed stream music to multiple destinations simultaneously.

Deathsquirrel

Just so you know "simultaneous" is not the same as "in sync "

I'd be absolutely shocked if they could support simultaneous, in-sync playback to multiple client devices.