Multiple Resolutions for TV shows

chris3452

chris3452

I use multiple resolutions for movies to avoid transcoding to mobile devices by using  - 1080 or - 720.  I would like the same ability for TV shows, I tried every possible combo and they come in as two separate shows.  Another way would be to use sync, but allow sync to reduce the resolution along with bitrate (720P is fine on my phones don't need a 1080P or future 4k sent to 5in device).  But that still does not help that my little old nas would have to transcode but atleast it could be at night when nothing else is going on or even better allow us to create sync file on a different computer and then insert into folder sync and be recongized. 

• Like 19

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Dizzy49

I have several movies I would love to keep in several diff resolutions since they are very popular with my family for trips and things.

Would be great to not have to transcode them all the time.  I have the drive space, might as well use it! :D

I have several movies I would love to keep in several diff resolutions since they are very popular with my family for trips and things.

Would be great to not have to transcode them all the time.  I have the drive space, might as well use it! :D

For movies we already support multi-resolution.

Deathsquirrel

This already exists  in the application for movies FYI.  The naming wiki covers it.

Edit--NM, Luke covered it while I waited far too long to hit send :)

Edited by Deathsquirrel

Dizzy49

"Multiple versions of the same content can be stored in a single movie folder."

That doesn't explain much.

I DON'T want to see 4 copies of the same movie.  I have that issue with Kodi now and it pisses me off.

There needs to be support for the USE of the resolutions in a way that makes sense.  Ie, if it's being streamed used the one that's the closest to the resolution set.  Or better yet, if it's transcoded for a device, save that copy so it can just be streamed (save the transcoding) next time.

My kids and wife won't know the difference between the versions, they just want a click and play.

Dizzy49

We already do that for movies, but not yet for tv.

Is this documented somewhere?  The note in the Naming wiki is pretty obscure and doesn't explain anything.  

I'm all for being tech savvy to set things up, but adding features without documentation, explanation, or requiring people to scour forums for feature descriptions seems like a bad idea.

Is this documented somewhere?  The note in the Naming wiki is pretty obscure and doesn't explain anything.  

I'm all for being tech savvy to set things up, but adding features without documentation, explanation, or requiring people to scour forums for feature descriptions seems like a bad idea.

The naming wiki explains everything.

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Movie%20naming

I'm not really sure what else you could possibly need. Not only does it explain everything in simple terms but it also gives examples for everything it goes over.

KarlDag

"Multiple versions of the same content can be stored in a single movie folder."

That doesn't explain much.

I DON'T want to see 4 copies of the same movie.  I have that issue with Kodi now and it pisses me off.

There needs to be support for the USE of the resolutions in a way that makes sense.  Ie, if it's being streamed used the one that's the closest to the resolution set.  Or better yet, if it's transcoded for a device, save that copy so it can just be streamed (save the transcoding) next time.

My kids and wife won't know the difference between the versions, they just want a click and play.

In Emby, you can multiselect and choose "group versions".  It will then only appear as 1 entry.  Supposed to do the same if the files are named properly, but it's been hit-or-miss for me.

That is not respected if you use the emby for kodi add-on, though, which sucks.

• 4 weeks later...
MndWrp

We already do that for movies, but not yet for tv.

Will this work for tv in the not-too-distant future ?

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Baenwort

How about in addition to multiple resolutions could it support multiple encodes? Such as x264 or x265 or .mpeg4 if one had more disk space than transcoding power? I'd like to save extra encodes to minimize transcoding. x265 for remote connections that support it, and x264 or mpeg4 originals for local streaming for example.

Once we get to this, it will be just like movies. The extra versions can be anything you want - alternate resolutions, codecs, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
maximilianh75

Once we get to this, it will be just like movies. The extra versions can be anything you want - alternate resolutions, codecs, etc.

When this new feature will be ready. 4.0??? or next update?

Edited by maximilianh75
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...