Show Empty Series in Kodi

imadunatic

imadunatic

I will start by apologizing for my ignorance, but I see that Emby shows empty series in my library view, which is great, is there any way to show empty series in Kodi?

The reason I ask is because I have many smart playlists in Kodi based off of tags. When I made the move to Emby I lost all my tags, which isn't a big deal, I figured I would just re-tag our shows; problem being, I can't add a show to a tag if there are no episodes in Kodi and I can't seem to find a work around (which I had for my old MYSQL setup). Would it be possible to add "Show Empty Series" as an option to the Emby plugin, or is this a Kodi issue? 

Thanks for any help. 

Angelblue05

We could add an add-on option for it. I personally hate empty series showing up, and as a team we've decided to simply remove or ignore empty series until they contain episodes. However, it could be an option I suppose? @@xnappo what do you think?

imadunatic

We could add an add-on option for it. I personally hate empty series showing up, and as a team we've decided to simply remove or ignore empty series until they contain episodes. However, it could be an option I suppose? @@xnappo what do you think?

I completely agree in my library views, and I set my advanced settings file to hide them.   The only issue I have is building smart playlists for kids/wife and including shows that don't currently have any episodes. 

Is there another option to build smart playlists that I'm not thinking of? Possibly in Emby and then somehow use that to populate lists in Kodi? 

If you've made the decision to not include them, I'd rather not rock the boat. I can always wait until shows start airing and tag them then also. 

Thanks for all the work on this. 

Angelblue05

We don't mind taking into account people's request. :)

Question: Do you have a Kodi profile for your wife, a Kodi profile for your kids? Same in Emby? Or is it all under one profile?

Edited by Angelblue05

imadunatic

We don't mind taking into account people's request. :)

Question: Do you have a Kodi profile for your wife, a Kodi profile for your kids? Same in Emby? Or is it all under one profile?

This is currently my exact setup (edit: to be clear, I have 3 profiles in Kodi and 3 Profiles in Emby); however, now with teenagers I'm looking to expand into each family member (5 total) having their own profile. I currently use shared smart playlists populated by tags to fill widgets for each of us on our profiles (kids recently updated tv, wife recently updated... etc). 

Pretty minor change I think, lines 363 and 653 of librarySync.

Yuck though :)

I whole heartedly agree on all of my client installations. LOL. The only place I would like to have this is my administrative installation (the server). Is it possible for me to modify these lines? To be honest, I can't even find the librarySync file.... 

Edited by imadunatic

imadunatic

Pretty minor change I think, lines 363 and 653 of librarySync.

Yuck though :)

Perfect.... removed 4 lines of code and it was just as I wanted.... Is there a more elegant solution than just deleting or commenting them? It appears to be working with (edit: NO) ill effects (yet!!)

Edit: Ill effects found. For the future googler that lands here, don't do this. Performing a manual sync deletes your tags in Kodi. 

Edited by imadunatic

Angelblue05

@@imadunatic

Simply install this modified version over the current one. You will need to enable the setting under Sync options in the add-on settings. Then you have two options: If you have only a few empty tv shows, you can simply press Save in the metadata manager to force Kodi to pick up the shows and add them to Kodi. If you have many, you can reset resync the library and they will be added.

It will be part of 1.1.36. Can you validate that it works correctly for you? Thanks.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

imadunatic

This is a beatiful beautiful thing (for my server only).... I did discover that I can't sync tags between Kodi installations with Emby last night, so I need to work on that (I'm thinking create playlists off of show titles and then use those as a foundation to build other lists, or possibly path substitution if tags are stored externally). 

Thanks so much for this! My wife will be really happy to have her lists back. 

• Like 1

cw-kid

I actually prefer that Kodi with the Emby add-on doesn't show empty TV Shows, native Kodi / MYSQL does and it always bugged me. 

imadunatic

I actually prefer that Kodi with the Emby add-on doesn't show empty TV Shows, native Kodi / MYSQL does and it always bugged me. 

It does until you cleaned the database... at which point they would disappear again (on helix and Isengard, I believe this was changed in Helix)... My MYSQL workaround was to refresh the library, create my tags/playlists and exit. Then restart kodi, refresh the library and clean the database. 

I'm personally of the opinion that there is no need for empty series UNLESS you're trying to create playlists for shows that may not be currently airing or your wife watches her shows the day after they record and deletes them. 

For me, having the option on my server is huge, on the clients I have it turned off because I hate seeing empty series as well. Obviously we all have our own use-cases.