Comskipp support or Commerical skip via xml

snake98

snake98

Now that emby has tv support, is there any chance of getting a commerical skipping xml support added in.  By that I mean support to read xml files that tell where a commerical is and to skip it automatically.

I currently use windows media center with comskipp,   Bascily Emby would need to read the xml file(same name as the recording), and skip that portion of the video.

I'll be happy to help anyway I can.

I've attached an example of the xml file...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<root>
<commercial start="625.758467" end="782.9822" />
<commercial start="1238.4372" end="1411.2098" />
<commercial start="2019.650967" end="2311.1088" />
<commercial start="2857.521333" end="3144.9418" />
<commercial start="3595.959033" end="3718.281233" />
</root>

ThePaladinTech

This would be great - I'll be watching this topic for any news on comskip :)

I'm thrilled by the liveTV i've seen so far.

• 3 weeks later...
MSattler

This would be great - I'll be watching this topic for any news on comskip :)

I'm thrilled by the liveTV i've seen so far.

Why not just have Emby remove the commercials in the same manner that MCEBuddy does?

Why not just have Emby remove the commercials in the same manner that MCEBuddy does?

Because sometimes it screws up. It works really well to use commskip to flag commercials but leave them in. That way if there is a bad cut you just have to hit the back button to jump back to where you were (at least that's how lots of players implement the cuts). 

It is also way faster for most PCs to detect commercials than to remove them. I believe some backends (myth maybe) do the commercial detection in realtime so if you're watching time-shifted you can still benefit.

ThePaladinTech

Because sometimes it screws up. It works really well to use commskip to flag commercials but leave them in. That way if there is a bad cut you just have to hit the back button to jump back to where you were (at least that's how lots of players implement the cuts). 

It is also way faster for most PCs to detect commercials than to remove them. I believe some backends (myth maybe) do the commercial detection in realtime so if you're watching time-shifted you can still benefit.

Zactly, for all those reasons. And SageTV can do comskip on live tv as well

Edited by ThePaladinTech