Emby Theater Issue but no issue in Windows Media Center Emby verison

midn8t

So I am using both Emby Theater client and also Emby Client for Windows Media Center 

when I try to play DVD TS folder image in using The EMBy Tehater Client I get this error

Unhandled Exception: Unable to cast COM object of type

'DirectShowLib.DVDNavigator' To interface type

'DriectShowlib.Dvd.IDvdcontrol2' this operation fialed becuase the Query Interface Call on com Component for the interface with IID '{33bc7430-EEC0-11D2-8201-00A0C9D74842} Failed due to following Error : No Such Interface Supported (Excetion from HRESult: 0x80004002 (E_NOINTRERFACE))

but but - when I run Emby client thats works with media center that comes with windows all is fine.

so dvd navigation seems to be not working in the theater client but works with the media center version. ??

and i do have path Substitution setup.

As I mentioned in the other thread - the DVD folder format is not widely supported in software.  In fact, the last player to really do so was the one in WMC.  That is now 10 years old.

We attempt to decipher and stream DVD folders to clients when possible but it isn't always possible due to the lack of support for that format in today's world.  And, even when we can do that, it will just play the movie.  We can't support the DVD menus.

Now, the particular error you are getting is probably a poorly trapped condition but the net result it probably going to be that only WMC and maybe something like PDVD are going to be able to play back your DVD folder rips with menu support.

So, you can stick with WMC if you really want DVD playback with menus but my advice would be to start implementing a plan to migrate the movies to a more future-compatible format (mkv/mp4) as this issue will probably only get worse.

not support folder play back of this type dosnt that hurt ability to play dvds ? sense these are one to one copys of the dvd folder it self ?

reason for doing copys this way is so you can copy a exact image back to a DVD as a backup so you keep that one to one ratio.

but what it sounds like is that - software will not be support dvd folder play back form a DVD ether then ?

Edited by midn8t

That's correct.  The software industry has moved away from disc-based formats because it is concentrating on formats that can be streamed.  That is where the market is moving.

Deathsquirrel

not support folder play back of this type dosnt that hurt ability to play dvds ? sense these are one to one copys of the dvd folder it self ?

reason for doing copys this way is so you can copy a exact image back to a DVD as a backup so you keep that one to one ratio.

but what it sounds like is that - software will not be support dvd folder play back form a DVD ether then ?

IIRC Windows has already dropped native disc playback support.  It's been so long since I put a disc in my drive for anything but ripping that I'm not 100% sure when it happened.

The Emby menus are, IMO, FAR superior to the DVD menus.  they are consistent in format, load faster, and have higher res art.  Between that and the dwindling support for that format I encourage everyone to start migrating to a more widely supported format like MKV and MP4.  With MakeMKV you can very easily convert all the video files on your disc copy to individual MKV files you can use in Emby.  While you're at it you get rid of warning screens, unskippable previews, etc.

• 3 months later...

ehh I just installed windows media center on windows 10  sense community started support it on its own.

then installed emby for windows media center problem solved.

iv also been playing with kodi sense it support the menu system as DVDS.

all my movies are dvds there real DVD on my shelf - there TS folders in those DVD there for any program i use has to be able to play DVD formats there over 700 DVDs on my shelf.

and 700 DVD one to one back ups.

I can take any back put it back on to a DVD and then play it on a blue ray or DVD player that is sold in the store.

any media center has to be able to support what is being sold in store which is DVDs and blue ray menus.

which this is main reason community has recreated media center now for download and support on windows 10

Edited by midn8t

I had to go through the painful process of converting all my VIDEO_TS format DVD rips to MKV when I realized there wasn't much support this format of playback. Took a while, but I've never looked back. I'm also having quite a lot of success with the MP4 container as well. I tended to just backup the main movie without menus or extra's, so this might have made the conversions easier.

Xzener

I can honestly say, I was a disk format guru... But have since reformatted all my disk folder rips to MKV. I see no quality degradation, and am very happy how well the server handles these with ALL clients. I highly recommend making the switch.

Edited by Xzener
  • Like 2