SRT Files LAV or FFDSHOW with VS Filter and Directvobsub

bmlocal175

bmlocal175

Great title.  Didn't know how to word it because I am very confused.

Problem was my external .srt files would not play in Classic.  After a quick google search I tried numerous things and clicked many a box after downloading several programs.  After hours of work I got it working but don't have a clue what I did or how I did it.

Everything works as expected but now I have so many different things I'm not sure what I need and what I don't.  I know no one will probably be able to tell me what I did but I can at least tell you what I see and maybe stuff I don't need.

Or if it is all working just leave it?

Programs I have downloaded:

Directvobsub: not sure this did anything

ffdshow: shows up in tray when I play movie in WMC so its doing something

Haali Media Splitter: Not sure what this is or if I need it.  I was using LAV but now it shows ffdshow, I'm so confused.

Media Control: Watched a youtube video on this don't know what I did

Shark007 codecs: ? had these awhile

Win7DSFilter: some tweaks not sure

xy-VS Filter: again not sure

LAv-Somehwere I have this can never find where it is unless its in the tray but its gone now and ffdshow is in there.

Can anyone shed some light on this mess I've created?

AdrianW

I used to use Shark007 codecs with WMC, but it was such a pain to get working - I usually had no issues with subs for mkv and avi files - but I always had problems with mp4s (I used to remux them into mkv).

Now I use an external player (MPC-HC) and that avoids all of those issues - external subs play every time, plus I get the advantage of refresh rate switching. No more messing with codecs.

bmlocal175

Alright I erased all of those programs and started over.  I downloaded the shark007 codecs again and installed.

Now with a movie playing in wmc I have LAV audio, video, and splitter in tray along with VS filter and everything seems fine.  External Subs using .srt file works and bit streaming is still working.

Probably in my head but video just doesn't seem as sharp as before.  Is there any difference using LAV compared to ffdshow for video?

Edited by bmlocal175