Web Interface problems....

Jasoon

Jasoon

Can anyone tell me how i get the web interface work on an iPad?

Iv put in the Local access address but nothing happens...anyone got any ideas?

Ive had a search about and i cant seem to find anything, one thing i was wondering was dose the iPad need to be visible on my windows network? my now TV players are there but not the iPad

Open Safari on the iPad and in the address bar type: "http://<your_server_lan_ip>:8096/"

Replace <your_server_lan_ip> with the internal IP address of your Emby server.

The port part of the URL (:8096) is important since Safari by default will try to connect to the standard http port 80 but Emby listens on 8096.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by fc7

RanmaCanada

I have the same issue.  None of the ipads or iphones in the house can connect to the server, but everything droid or PC can.  I can access my server via web interface from my phone anywhere, my laptop, etc, but iphones and ipads will not connect at all.  It's very frustrating :(  I hope the app comes out soon so this problem can be solved.

Longrifle

I have the same issue.  None of the ipads or iphones in the house can connect to the server, but everything droid or PC can.  I can access my server via web interface from my phone anywhere, my laptop, etc, but iphones and ipads will not connect at all.  It's very frustrating :(  I hope the app comes out soon so this problem can be solved.

you may also want to turn off private mode in safari on ios devices. sometimes that fixes the issue.

RanmaCanada

RanmaCanada have you checked your firewall settings? as i had the same problems as you

The fact that it is working on every other device I own, other than iOS means it is not a firewall issue.  I can access it from my phone and my laptop from wherever I want and they work fine.  Heck I was 300 miles away from my computer yesterday and my laptop and my phone both connected with no issues at all.  I will attempt the private browsing option and see if that is the issue.  It's weird how while  even on the same network, ie in my own house, none of the iOS stuff will connect at all.

RanmaCanada

And even with private browsing mode off, ipads and iphones can not connect to the server.  Oh well, I will just be patient and wait for the app to come out, and donate once payday comes because I am at least loving the way my pc's and android devices and Roku's of friends :) can connect to my services.

Thank you for such a fantastic product!

And even with private browsing mode off, ipads and iphones can not connect to the server.  Oh well, I will just be patient and wait for the app to come out, and donate once payday comes because I am at least loving the way my pc's and android devices and Roku's of friends :) can connect to my services.

Thank you for such a fantastic product!

Well we'd like both to work, so if you can describe in more detail...

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/790-how-to-report-a-problem/

gougej88

I believe my testing may help provide some insight.  I installed emby on a windows x64 OS, and used the built in SSL cert for HTTPS.  I only exposed my HTTPS port outside of my local LAN.  

In testing iOS playback on my local LAN, I was able to watch live TV (serverwmc and next pvr tested) and media (movies stored videos) using the HTTP URL.  When I attempted to watch media or live TV via the HTTPS port using the emby created SSL cert, I got the error "There was an error playing the video". 

I have tested this on iOS (iPhone 5s and iPad v2) on both Safari and the Chrome app.

I searched through the logs and found the following error twice in the server logs,

2015-08-12 08:13:44.1354 Error - HttpServer: Error in ProcessAccept
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 3.0.5675.1
    Command line: C:\<APPPATH>\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
    Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
    Processor count: 4
    64-Bit OS: True
    64-Bit Process: False
    Program data path: C:\<APPPATH>\Emby-Server
    Application Path: C:\<APPPATH>\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
    Authentication failed because the remote party has closed the transport stream.
    System.IO.IOException
     at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReadFrame(Byte[] buffer, Int32 readBytes, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
     at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
     at System.Net.Security.SslState.CheckCompletionBeforeNextReceive(ProtocolToken message, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
     at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartSendBlob(Byte[] incoming, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
     at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessReceivedBlob(Byte[] buffer, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
     at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReadFrame(Byte[] buffer, Int32 readBytes, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
     at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
     at System.Net.Security.SslState.ForceAuthentication(Boolean receiveFirst, Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
     at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult lazyResult)
     at System.Net.Security.SslStream.AuthenticateAsServer(X509Certificate serverCertificate, Boolean clientCertificateRequired, SslProtocols enabledSslProtocols, Boolean checkCertificateRevocation)
     at System.Net.Security.SslStream.AuthenticateAsServer(X509Certificate serverCertificate)
     at SocketHttpListener.Net.HttpConnection..ctor(ILogger logger, Socket sock, EndPointListener epl, Boolean secure, String connectionId, X509Certificate cert)
     at SocketHttpListener.Net.EndPointListener.ProcessAccept(Socket accepted)

Going to post this to the report a problem link as well, but could be worth your time to test out if it works using HTTP.

Edited by gougej88

To be honest, I've not done any testing with ssl and safari, so let';s start simple and just try over regular http.

jclende

Hello,

I've been having some trouble streaming to iOS devices via web browser. I am using Emby 3.0.5675.1 on a headless Debian install.

HTTPS will give me a pop-up error that just says "Video Error" (I am using the self-signed cert that Emby creates).

HTTP works but the delay before the play button becomes clickable is unusually long. I actually thought it wasn't working as well until I finally waited it out. This might be more of an interface issue. I'd like to see some indication that work is being done behind the scenes. A load bar or spinning wheel would do the trick.

Of course, my main concern is the HTTPS issue. I will not allow any HTTP outside the LAN. Currently, I have to VPN into my home and use HTTP when I travel, which introduces a lot of bandwidth overhead, especially for hotel wireless connections.

PM me if you'd like to see logs. The problem should be easily recreated though, unless there's something unusual about my installation. I am using some custom paths.

Thank you for your time.

I just tested this scenario and I could reproduce the issue. iPad + HTTPS + Safari will not play any video or music. Same media over HTTP works like a charm. Now I will go back, repro the problem and post the logs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok. I managed to solve the problem at least in my case/scenario and it seems it's not related to Emby at all, but more to how certificates and PKI works.

As I think I mentioned before, I have my own root CA that I use to sign all the certificates I use in my servers (I use SSL and certificates a lot).

For me this is very convinient because then I only need to install my root CA certificate on every client/browser/device and they will automatically trust any certificate signed by my root CA that I use.

I'm giving this background because it's relevant as you will see in a moment.

In my case I had two problems:

• Root CA certificate missing on my iPad: the first step to troubleshoot this problem, in my case, was to make sure that my root CA certificate was correctly installed in my iPad because if it wasn't Safari will never trust my server certificate. Well, it wasn't, actually it was missing. This was pretty easy to solve, I just installed my root CA certificate in iOS. This is a general setting, not Safari specific, but Safari will use the CA certificates installed in iOS.

• URL and certificate Common Name property mismatch: there is a very important property in any web server certificate and that is the "Common Name". This property will be verified by the client every time that it connects to a server using SSL, when the server presents his SSL certificate. The client will then compare the host name used in the URL to connect to the server and the Common Name property value in the SSL certificate presented by the server. If they don't match, then the client will present a warning to the user informing of this potential security issue (since basically you wanted to speak to "John Doe" but he is giving you an id that says he actually is "John Doe Smith") so the user can decide what to do or in some cases it will just stop the connection to the server. To summarize, in my case, since I'm a lazy typer, I was connecting to https://emby01:8920 where "emby01" is the hostname but when the server presented the certificate to Safari, the Common Name property value was "emby01.myinternaldomain.local" which is the FQDN of my Emby server (not really, it's just an example) and even when I "ignored" the warning Safari let me connect to the web interface but as soon as a streaming channel was needed between the browser and the server, he refused to open it and didn't give me the option to continue as it did when I first connected to the site. Solution: use the full FQDN while connecting to the server "https://emby01.myinternaldomain.local:8920" instead of just "https://emby01:8920" so the host name in the URL and the server certificate Common Name property value will match and Safari will trust the connection.
I tested again and now all media plays correctly over HTTPS too. I still get some SSL related odd errors in the logs but even doe, playback works just fine.

For the people using their own root CA to sign the certificate for Emby, following this steps will probably solve your problems.

On the other hand for people using a self-signed certificate created by Emby, the first step should be to access the SSL site from any PC and then examine the site certificate, looking for the certificate "Common Name" value and use that as the hostname in the URL you use to access your server. The next step would be to find a way to install the certificate in iOS so Safari will trust it.

Hope it helps.

Edited by fc7

No problem. When I find some time I will test an Emby self-signed certificate and try to make it work too. If I succeed I will post the steps here.

To be honest, I've not done any testing with ssl and safari, so let';s start simple and just try over regular http.

Pretty sure this goes back to the issue I had previously. The reason why it appears as an iOS only issue is iOS defaults to HTTPS when you done specifically enter http:// where the other platforms don't.

Luke - it seems as part of the server install HTTPS isn't setup as allowed through windows firewall by default or an option. For basic users doing it for them would be beneficial.

• 3 weeks later...

No problem. When I find some time I will test an Emby self-signed certificate and try to make it work too. If I succeed I will post the steps here.

I figured it was something like that. I am using the emby-generated self-signed certificate, and I'm pretty novice when it comes to SSL in general. If you could provide or link to a step by step of pulling the certificate from Emby and adding it to the trust list in iOS, that would be fantastic!

I'm really hoping letsencrypt will solve a lot of these problems in 2016.