Building A New Server

David Martin

David Martin

Hi, I'm sort of new to Emby but I've tried out the software on my old desktop server and i really like it, but my current server solution is very slow at trans coding and its just a really bad server. So I've decided to build a new one that will be primarily a media server running Emby but it will also be my back up server too so I'm just asking for recommendations on what type of server I should look for preferably under £300 - £400. I've looked at the recommended specs and all that type of stuff just wondering if you lot have any recommendations or anything that could help me decide what server to buy i don't mind if its pre built or a project server. Many thanks - David

shaefurr

For a build it yourself:

I think there was a long thread here a while back about building a server around transcoding. I can't find the thread at the moment but I believe the general consensus was everyone recommended like a core i5 or xeon if you could afford it. I don't follow AMD at all so I have no comments in that area.

Personally I use an i5 4690k because its my server/gaming rig, but it handles multiple transcoding streams at once, though it becomes unplayable for gaming at that point :P . But I never have any issues with playback with about 4 streams at once.

With your current budget if you're only upgrading cpu/ram/motherboard you should be able to get nice upgrade. Personally id buy an i5 or xeon over an i7, i7's just aren't worth it for the price imho, I think you'd be better off with a xeon if its only going to be used as a server, something like a xeon e3 1231 v3 maybe? Keep in mind if you go the xeon route you need a standalone GPU to handle video, so that will cost you another $20 or so.

• Like 1

David Martin

Yeah I've been thinking of getting either one of these as there well withing my budget.

http://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117315

http://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117372

I'll probably buy a gpu anyway as i want an upgrade for my gaming pc, witch one of these would you recommend ?

Thanks 

shaefurr

Yeah I've been thinking of getting either one of these as there well withing my budget.

http://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117315

http://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117372

I'll probably buy a gpu anyway as i want an upgrade for my gaming pc, witch one of these would you recommend ?

Thanks 

I haven't used a xeon personally, but I love my devils canyon. If you use the same PC for gaming it overclocks amazingly well, which is the best benefit you'd get from the 4690k over the xeon, you can get some serious fps increase in games that are usually cpu bottlenecked like planetside 2. But again, if you're not gaming on the same PC the xeon is probably better. The xeon is supposed to be comparable to an i7 performance wise.

So if you're gaming on it, get the 4690k

If you're not gaming on it, get the E3-1241

Just my opinion, I think either way you would be happy with either one.

shaefurr

I would get something Quick Sync capable.

to save you time researching it, that would mean get a CPU with integrated graphics, as basically any newer cpu with IG will have quick sync. The 4690k for example supports it. Xeons don't typically have quick sync, though some do, like the e3-1245 v3.

• Like 2

David Martin

Yeah will look into it (if i should build a new rig or just a separate server). Thanks alot