Kinda screwed up a bit...what could I have done differenetly?

diaz1510

diaz1510

Well, I was doing some "housekeeping" on my server and just decided to be a little more organized by changing the drive letters of all my hard drives.

Long story short...I changed absolutely nothing but the drive letters and it wreaked complete havoc on my Emby configuration and metadata.  I did go through and point all pertinant applications, plugins, links, libraries, etc to the new drive letters but still  no dice.

Its like its trying to build my library all over again.  Keep in mind ALL data is still in the respective folders, to include the Emby program folders.  Nothing has gone missing, but it's lost all my customized images, structure, Next Up, Latest, Resumes, Watched content, Upcoming, etc for ALL my users.  I've got NO chapters images, NO media info, all the show names are back to the file name...but all the info/images are already there in the Metadat Storage location...

I did have to go through and change TV shows from inherit to TV again, so it lost that when I updated the drive letters.

But it seems like it should have just gone back to the way it was once I pointed everything to the new drive letters.

It looks like I am going ot have to spend a few hours correcting all the metadata unless you guys know anything I could try.  I'm not going to be able to go back to the old drive letters as I am in the process of expanding my server size and that's what prompted me to change the letters.

Could I have done somethign different to avoid all this?  Is there something in Emby that can let me simply tell the program...All paths with drive X: are now drive Z: and Emby would scrub the program for any drive letters changes that match what I was trying to do...

I knew I would have to make some tweaks to Emby as I had to do small changes to other programs I had that were drive letter-dependant but I had no idea it would demolish my entire Emby setup...

IDK...its not impossible to fix but a litle bummed out because it's like starting all over again...

Edited by diaz1510

Deathsquirrel

Assuming your server files are on C and it's just media on the other drives, then yes, it should be avoidable.  Use UNC paths to link to your libraries and make sure the share names on each physical drive stay the same after your drive relettering...or just put the new drives in the gaps.  If you have a D and G drive it's ok to just assign E and F to two new drives and leave the existing ones alone.

diaz1510

Yeah, all server files are on C (which was not changed, LOL) and I originally used drive letters in my library links in Emby.  When I changed the drive letters, that obvisouly messed things up, but then I went back changed them to the UNC path...but it's still trying to build the entire library metadata again right now...

Edited by diaz1510

Logos302

It does do a rebuild if you change were the library is (location of the media).  That just what happens.  Let it finish.  Once finished it should be back to the way it was.  I changed from UNC paths to Direct pathing and path substitution and all I need to do was wait for it to finish the scan the first time and it was all back to normal.  

diaz1510

Ahh, ok...now that you mention it...its looking like some of the settings are starting to populate as they were...I just have a big library...gonna have to wait awhile...lol

Thanks...

So what is your opinion on a better way? UNC or direct pathing with path subs?  I was using direct with path subs previously...

Or is it six in one hand, half dozen in the other?

Edited by diaz1510

Logos302

I'm not sure which is better but I would have said that direct would have less "layers" when doing scans to get at the data.  

Edited by Logos302

Deathsquirrel

You need to use UNC or path substitution if you want to direct stream to players not on the server.