Updated server can't see media

richardgoldthorpe

richardgoldthorpe

Hello there, I wonder if you can assist me. I am running emby server Version 3.0.5675.1 on an Ubuntu 14.04 desktop. I had a fully working setup and recently updated to the latest version. Since the update, my server can no longer see the folders containing my media. My server has 5 internal drives which are mounted at startup via a udisks entry in gnome session properties. Each drive has a folder containing either movies or series. When I go into emby settings the paths to the media are correct however nothing is found. When I look at adding a new path the drives are shown by emby but not the folders on the drive. I have also tried mounting the drives via fstab but the same result. I have attached the most recent log file, and there are a total of 15 logs in the folder. Hopefully this will make sense to you. Thanks for any help you may offer.

server-63574137150.txt

Are there any other logs besides this? If you open the library setup in the server dashboard, does it show the correct paths?

richardgoldthorpe

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes there are other logs in /var/lib/mediabrowser/logs/ 16 in total which is 1 more than yesterday. I will attach them all. Are there any other locations I should be looking as well. In relation to the paths in the server settings they are correct. They are the same paths as were used before the update when everything was working i.e /media/richard/dda1c714-6a26-4c6b-8aaf-54e4506eabba/Movies 1. When I go into the settings and try to add a new path to the media, the disks are listed in emby with the correct uuid but when you select one the media folder on the disk does not then display as an option.

server-63574156799.txt

server-63574137150.txt

server-63574136948.txt

server-63574136684.txt

server-63574136514.txt

server-63574136409.txt

server-63574136267.txt

server-63574136087.txt

server-63574135489.txt

server-63574132479.txt

server-63574131512.txt

server-63574070399.txt

server-63574032825.txt

server-63574032070.txt

server-63573984000.txt

server-63573959120.txt

markshu

I'm in the process of transferring Emby over from a dedicated Win7 box to the Debain system currently acting as a bulk storage server, and am seeing the same thing.  After updating from Wheezy to Jessie and a LOT of experimenting, I've discovered that Emby on Debian doesn't see my *.mkv files as a valid media type and doesn't include them in a media scan.  Any folder rip of a movie with a VIDEO_TS file shows up just fine, but all MKV rips are ignored.  What's even stranger is that the Window7 Emby server saw the exact same MKV files just fine via the SAMBA share ...

This is a real problem for me since I use MKV as my preferred rip format.  Luke, any ideas?

Edited by markshu

markshu

Screenshot of keiko (Win7 Emby) accessing bluray rip directory via \\AIKO\Movies\mBluRay samba share:

55c810f824e21_embykeiko.jpg

Screenshot of aiko (Debian 8 Emby) accessing the same bluray rip directory via /mnt/hdd2/shares/Movies/mBluRay local mount point:

55c811d320e16_embyaiko.jpg

/mnt/hdd2 is a hard drive mount point, and /mnt/hdd2/shares/Movies is used as the source of the \\AIKO\Movies samba share.  The Wing Commander movie is the ONLY media rip done in VIDEO_TS folder format - all of the other movie rips are done as *.mkv files.

markshu

Random thought: are you allowing for symlinks in your search algorithm to any arbitrary directory or data file?  The samba shares would mask the use of symlink farms to the data files, but the local mount points would not.

This could explain the observed behavior in my setup, since the previous Wheezy-based file server configuration used Greyhole as a drive pool extender for the media store (which symlinks EVERYTHING), and I don't want to use it in the new Jessie configuration.

markshu

First, what 'search function'?  The one in Emby via the web UI? The one in the file manager in Debian? ...???

The Emby web UI search function finds the media directory, but that's it.  If I search for "Alice in Wonderland", I get a folder hit but no media or metadata.

As a test of the symlink theory, I

• erased the symlink to '2 Fast 2 Furious (2003).mkv' from /mnt/hdd2/shares/Movies/mBluRay/2 Fast 2 Furious
  • moved '2 Fast 2 Furious (2003).mkv' from /mnt/hdd6/mediastorage/Movies/mBluRay/2 Fast 2 Furious into /mnt/hdd2/shares/Movies/mBluRay/2 Fast 2 Furious
    (manually dereferencing the file by replacing the symlink with the actual file)
  • rescanned the library

Lo and behold, '2 Fast 2 Furious' now shows up in my Aiko media library, even though every other file in the media directory is still a symlink reference - once the physical media file is found all of the other files are accessed properly through their symlinks.  So, your library search algorithm is not processing symlinks when searching for valid media items and this really needs to be fixed. 

richardgoldthorpe

My media is mostly mkv with some mp4 but I believe my issue is with permissions and seeing folders rather than types of media.