Genre Images Source? List?

Losey

I've been using the Media Browser system for a few years now and have been delighted with the recent burst of functionality Emby has brought to the table.

In light of this, I recently started the onerous task of correcting the Genre data of my movie collection. I am having trouble however, finding the source that Emby is downloading the default Poster and Landscape images from, or indeed any resource showing a full list of available genres. I could obviously bypass this altogether and simply use my own artwork, but would like to poke around a bit and see where this could go.

Thus far, my library has yielded the following:

• Action
  • Action & Adventure
  • Adventure
  • Animation
  • Anime
  • Biography
  • Cartoon
  • Children
  • Christmas
  • Comedy
  • Crime
  • Documentary
  • Drama
  • Family
  • Fantasy
  • Film-Noir
  • History
  • Holiday
  • Horror
  • Kids
  • Music
  • Musical
  • Mystery
  • News
  • Reality-Tv
  • Sci-Fi
  • Science Fiction
  • Short
  • Sport
  • Suspense
  • Thriller
  • War
  • Western

Amusingly, "Christmas" and "Holiday" share the same image albeit with different text. "Sci-Fi" and "Science Fiction" however share the exact same image with the exact same text. Also, I am very much aware of the redundancy of some of the ones I've listed above - I've only really listed them for completeness sake, I've recategorized the movies I have that resulted in the redundant genres to better match the bulk of my library and the text on the artwork.

Another minor note, I find it odd that "Reality-Tv" is spelled with a lower-case "v" in the artwork... I mean, yeah, it's short for Television, but literally every use of the abbreviation I've ever seen anywhere is spelled with the "v" capitalized.

The following is a listing of genres that have not resulted in any artwork being downloaded. I assume because either they are obscure, not considered genres, or perhaps are simply miscategorizations. I also tried alternate hyphenations to see if anything would result. If "Animation", "Cartoon", "Anime", and "Short", are considered genres, I see no reason why "Computer Animation", "CGI", "Live-Action", "Live-Action Animation", "Machinima" or "Stop Motion Animation" wouldn't be also. Regardless, I'm hoping to find out.

• Computer Animation
  • CGI
  • Easter
  • Educational
  • Extras
  • Halloween
  • Live-Action
  • Live Action
  • Live-Action Animation
  • Live Action Animation
  • Machinima
  • Stop Motion Animation
  • Supernatural Drama
Edited by Losey

Many thanks indeed! Very nice to see the template was even included.

... And now my OCD is triggered. I'll be back on later with an update on my progress! :lol:

Truthfully i think we're better off removing the text from the images and just letting the apps display the text name, so that we can support multiple languages. But in order to do that someone's going to have to volunteer to redo the current images because i can't make time for that right now.

• Like 1

techywarrior

Truthfully i think we're better off removing the text from the images and just letting the apps display the text name, so that we can support multiple languages. But in order to do that someone's going to have to volunteer to redo the current images because i can't make time for that right now.

Many apps don't have the option to display the text name and/or have an option that is tied to the displaying text names on everything. It would be even better (but more complex) if the decision is made to remove the text names that the server generates cached images with the local language text on the default/selected images.

Complications I can see are if in some languages the text would be long enough to overflow the images, or if you upload custom images.

I just don't see every app adding a new option to enable/disable genre image name overlays.

No, removing the text is best. Then they'll just function like any other image with an image and a name. We don't anything special for the others, so so we don't need to do anything special here.

I'm game for that (@removing the text). Once I finish making the revisions on my collection, I'll upload the textless versions so you guys can have at them as you please.

So far as my personal outline is going, I've subdivided Genre into Medium, Format, Style, Theme, Structure, Length, Production, and Target Audience. It'd be better for my arrangement if Emby supported a Tags view like it does Genres (I'd shift Theme, Structure, Length, Production, and Target Audience to the tags if it did), but I digress. Here's a link to my work in progress outline.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RdqXsmpcLm6a82xf2dfb2IsUJtJVFcPrXWz7oVIhZjI/edit?usp=sharing

It's far from complete, but I think it's a solid framework for me to start from at least. I'll be starting at recreating the folder and thumb art tonight.

techywarrior

No, removing the text is best. Then they'll just function like any other image with an image and a name. We don't anything special for the others, so so we don't need to do anything special here.

Yes, nothing special is being done for the other images but movie posters and tv show images have the names on them already. So now to remove the genre text requires that you either turn on names for everything just to get genre names listed again or to manually replace all the genre images. And since genre images have an icon or picture representing the name it only benefits other languages and genres which have multiple similar names.

You probably end up helping 15% and annoy 85% of the people. Of course the current user base already has all the genre images download and they won't notice or say anything for months until they happen to get a movie in a new genre and wonder what the hell is going on.

Why do I want an ugly overlay (in some apps) or title below every poster on every screen to "fix" a problem on one page/view for a limited number of people?

• Like 1

Deathsquirrel

I'd still love to see these generated from the library like the main library icons and collections that don't have a poster on tmdb.  The new icons look great and it gives a more consistent feel.  It also solves the issue of having no poster when I have a genre that's not on github.

techywarrior

I'd still love to see these generated from the library like the main library icons and collections that don't have a poster on tmdb.  The new icons look great and it gives a more consistent feel.  It also solves the issue of having no poster when I have a genre that's not on github.

I think that's a cool option but how do you tell the difference between genres? Some would probably be obvious (like the difference between Western and Sci-Fi) but what about Adventure and Action? Especially since a lot of movies span multiple genres. You could end up with the same movies in different generated genre images.

Could still be a cool option to have and then people can decide if they want it or not (like the current library images)

• 3 weeks later...
enthous

Losey mentioned a template was included, but I can't find it.  It's just what I was looking for when I came to this thread.  Where is it?  

Thanks.