Recommended app/hardware

JP1911

JP1911

Hi, long time user of emby/MB , iv not posted in a while as my htpc has been running perfectly, I was looking to build a new HTPC for the bedroom when I came across the fire stick, chromecast apps etc and wondered if people could tell me how they're getting on and which they recommended. I just need the new device to stream my media from my main HTPC and I have, lan available , any advice would be much appreciated as of this can save me the cost of building a new HTPC that would be very handy.

Deathsquirrel

Since it's a bedroom is it fine to transcode your audio down to stereo?  I've been really happy with the fire tv in my bedroom, running the android TV app.  That hardware has pretty serious audio limitations but since everything's coming out TV speakers in my case I don't mind that.

Karbowiak

And, if you do need more than stereo audio, the Nexus Player can do 5.1.

Also has the upside that it's running Android TV, which is doing exceptionally great on the WAF scale (Wife Acceptance Factor) :D

JP1911

We'll the tv's on the wall, any final recommendations ? At the minute I think I'm leaning to the fire stick over the chromecast

xnappo

Definitely recommend Firestick over Chromecast.  But would recommend Nexus Player over either - it is just a little more open.

Lumute

Definitely recommend Firestick over Chromecast.  But would recommend Nexus Player over either - it is just a little more open.

Do you mean the Amazon Fire TV? I've been looking at it for some time and about to bite, but there are rumors a new version is coming out with better specs... I was waiting a bit to see what they come up with...

Koleckai Silvestri

Do you mean the Amazon Fire TV? I've been looking at it for some time and about to bite, but there are rumors a new version is coming out with better specs... I was waiting a bit to see what they come up with...

There will always a new version coming. You need to determine if the wait is worth it or bite the bullet. The devices on the market today are very capable. Google Nexus TV, Amazon Fire TV, Roku 3 are all very close.

Spaceboy

Personally I prefer the nexus player, the roku ui isn't that pretty and the np is more open than the fire TV. I.e kodi has to be sideloaded on FTV

• Like 1

Lumute

There will always a new version coming. You need to determine if the wait is worth it or bite the bullet. The devices on the market today are very capable. Google Nexus TV, Amazon Fire TV, Roku 3 are all very close.

I totally agree, that said, I'm not in a hurry and if the new version is coming out within a couple of months then I prefer to wait... Specially because it seems it will use the latest Fire OS based on Android 5.1...

Personally I prefer the nexus player, the roku ui isn't that pretty and the np is more open than the fire TV. I.e kodi has to be sideloaded on FTV

The one thing I like about the FTV is that all reviewers agree the user experience (interface and integration of all apps) is the best around, seems like they have also customized the apps (Netflix for example) and they run better / more stable than the general Android apps... Reviewers also agree the voice control works really well, much better than the competition...

In any case, the other box I've been looking at is the nvidia Shield, just because of the "cool" factor... lol...

Edited by Lumute

Spaceboy

I own both FTV and atv (also roku xs2). For me, even as a prime subscriber the FTV is just too Amazon. It's everywhere and in your face. I only bought the players for an emby client so I can't really comment on other app performance. And for me voice search will always be a gimmick.