Fire TV purchase

arrbee99

arrbee99

Guess this has been asked before, but I bought a Fire TV and installed Emby from Amazon, and when I try to get it to play a movie it says 'Playback not supported, please purchase....'. Is there not even a weeks trial to check on how well (or not) movies etc are streamed before deciding whether to possibly purchase - can't experiment much by just scrolling through my movie collection after all.

There is a two week trial period but it is governed by the server to which you are connecting.  So, if the trial has already been used on that server it may have expired already.  Is this your own server?  Had you tried out the app before?

arrbee99

My first and only Fire TV arrived on Wednesday and I put Emby on it yesterday. Haven't used Emby for Fire TV before. The server is just our ordinary 'main' PC.

Have the usual Emby apps, I guess - MBT, MBC, Emby for windows 8.1, Windows Phone app,and a couple of Emby apps on Android phones. Am not a supporter yet, but have bought the apps and will hopefully buy the Fire TV app.

Had a bit of an issue with Amazon and its regions (I live in New Zealand). Got the Fire TV from the UK, if that matters, but can only download apps from the US (have downloaded Netflix and iPlayer though).

arrbee99

Well 6 months ago I installed Emby on the kids android phones and yesterday I put Emby for Fire TV into my Amazon app space thingy with 1-click shopping. It then appeared on my Fire TV and as mentioned it connects to the server, shows my library, but won't actually play anything  unless I purchase it, which means not a lot of testing.

(Am only mentioning the Android phone app as I guess they are related.

If the device isn't officially supported in your region you may have issues purchasing items through the store.  Not sure if that could be related to why you don't have a trial (it shouldn't be) but it could be a problem if you do decide to purchase it.

I just gave everyone a new two week trial on the ATV/FTV app so see if it works now.

arrbee99

Excellent, works now, trial expires 13 Aug. Guess I'll find out soon enough when it comes to purchasing about any issues. Thanks very much for your help.

arrbee99

Can I also just ask, is it possible (if I'm feeling adventurous), to run Emby for Fire TV and Kodi with Emby for Kodi addon on the same Fire TV - do they co-exist happily ?