Problems setting up, can anyone help? PLEASE!

davros01

I think Ebr is just saying resize the window so that the aspect ratio is wide and then that will fix the problem. It only needs to be done temporarily while you are setting things up.

If the display truly is widescreen, then he will want to change the resolution permanently or he will just end up with video display problems as WMC sees his display as 4:3 right now.

davros01

Sigh

Ok I keep telling you this. Its not the damned resolution!!!

I have tried those resoultions you listed and everything in between. You cant download a theme. It wont do it, it just sits there in darkened state as in my screen shots no matter what resolution you run it at.

Why would changing the resolution somehow magically make it work? If the windows or tabs or options are not there or working in one resolution, then running in windowed or another resolution wont make any difference.

However in light of all your help and in the interest of trying everything I did as you said and changed the resoltion! And it STILL WONT WORK!

Its either a fault , bug, flaw or cock up in Emby itself somewhere.

As for the themes I dont care about the older ones that is true. What I care about is any new ones or other things I may want to add in the future and I cant because it STILL WONT WORK.

Thats why I am trying to find out whats wrong. I am going to try those settings in chocolate and see what else I can change, but I still need to get this working right.

And now its time for beer number 3!

Hic...slithers off the chair and onto the floor.....

You told me the resolution was set to 1600x1200 and that is definitely a 4:3 aspect and would cause the problem you describe.  You never said you set the display card to any other resolution prior to your last post.  If you have put the graphics card into a true 16:9 resolution and it still does the same thing then I have no idea what is wrong.  I know what you describe will happen with a non-16:9 resolution but it has never happened with one.

Do you have another display you could hook it up to to test with?  At least temporarily?  Maybe it is something with that display.

Also, I encourage you again to explore the options in Chocolate.  That is the best supported theme.  The older ones will not work as well.

techywarrior

The reason the resolution makes a difference is that we believe that it is not working because you click on a theme, the screen goes dark, there is a button (ok, cancel, whatever) that is appearing outside of the viewable space on a 4:3 aspect ratio display.

Since you can't see the button, and you can't click on it, you can't install the theme and it appears to not do anything.

davros01

Hi all

Last post before bed.

I am 100% positive its nothing to do with the resolution! Can you please just understand that!!??

I get the fact that you might not be able to see a button to click on, but no matter what I do, stretch the screen or whatever, there is no button visible, and you can still move the screen around, move the mouse and scroll through the other themes etc. If a button was there that you could not see, it would come into view at some point!!!!

Plus even if you could not see it, you could find it off screen with the mouse pointer or media center remote and click on it "blind" and something would happen.

The display I have is top end of TOP end! Its a Tv monitor that cost a LOT of money and covers every resolution you can think of beyond the standard 1080 that normal tvs can do.

Everything else, games, films, computer stuff , windows and so on displays correctly at the right aspect so its NOT A DISPLAY PROBLEM!

Nothing is missing, half off the screen or out of view in media center, the windows desktop or gaming, either windowed OR full screen so why should Emby be any different, unless it has a massive bug that no one has noticed or fixed!

All I know is that Media Browser 2 worked fine and did everything and Emby has been an utter pain in the rear.

Anyway I have messed about with the chocolate views and got something I can live with for now, but it still does not fix or answer this issue and I just cant find the problem and thats whats annoying me now.

Plus I cant get new themes as they come out.

Its just stupid. And no one has an answer , more is the pity. Anyway I am off to bed now so I will wish you good night.

I will sleep on it and try again tomorrow, in the mean time anyone else who has this problem can put up any suggestions, however I will say again ITS NOT RESOLUTION BASED.

The themes dont work or download and neither does anything else. So who can tell?

Night guys and thanks for the help so far....

ZZZZzzz ZZZZzzzzzzz

z

davros01

Good Afternoon to you all.

Following on from yesterdays epic Q&A I have made some screen shots to illustrate the problems I am having.

I have tried every resolution that I can thing of 1920x1080, 1600x1200 and windowed mode and so forth so here we go with the screen shots -

55bb725caefcc_0.png

As you can see there is media center running in a windowed mode, everything fits the screen you can see all the controls, time clock start button and so on -

55bb7272b3281_1.png

The screen shot below shows Emby running and the folder views of some of my stuff. If you look at the screen you can see all the play controls are visible and the config buttons in the top right and the windows orb top left so its formatted correctly and NOTHING IS MISSING OFF SCREEN.

Below you can see I am entering config mode and once again all the controls and buttons are framed and you can see everything you need to make it work -

55bb72ae4ebce_2.png

Here we are at the Plugins Catalog. Once more everything is in view and framed correctly with no missing buttons that you cant see or find!!

55bb72cc18c47_3.png

So I click on the plugins catalog button and up comes the next screen -

55bb72e1794f4_4.png

So far so good. So I am now going to scroll along to the end of the catalog to prove that everything is visible -

55bb72fbed213_5.png

And the next page right at the end -

55bb7310ddbc2_6.png

So that's as far as you can scroll and nothing else is in view. I decided to scroll back and try to download the Saphire theme. So I go back and click it and this is what I see next -

55bb733890008_7.png

A darkened screen with no buttons to click ok or download or any indication of anything going on. Nothing has crashed, its just not doing anything. So I scroll along to the end looking for other options. As you can see there is nothing there. No other buttons and the play controls and back button and so on are in view so its framed correctly and nothing is hidden. You can not move the mouse pointer off the screen to an area you cant see -

55bb736691399_8.png

And that's all that happens every time I try to download a theme. I have tried different resolutions 16:9 and so on. I have tried windowed as in these screen shots. I have tried it through my 1080p digital projector as another display all with the same results. IT WONT WORK AND WONT LET ME GET A THEME OR OTHER PLUGIN OR SCREEN SAVER ETC!!!

Here are some more screen shots showing what happens next. I go back out of the config screen and go to play a movie, a bit of Blade Runner and as you will see it all works fine and is framed correctly once more -

55bb7392cabbf_10.png

And into Blade Runner. All framed at the right aspect ration with the clock still showing and the play bar -

55bb73ae5434b_11.png

I came out of Blade Runner and Bring up the Tv Guide -

55bb73c9efe36_12.png

And so there you have it, everything works and yet no Themes to download.

Can anyone put up a screen shot showing me the missing buttons to click on for ok, that lets you donwnload the theme as mentioned above?

Then I know what I am supposed to be looking for and it would prove the point that its a resolution issue.

If its not the resolution then its something else that we cant find or fix.

Thanks for looking!

techywarrior

LOL. You screenshots illustrate PERFECTLY that it is a resolution problem. See how Media Center is square? Drag the corner in the bottom right to make it a rectanglular and then see if it works.

I am almost positive when you do that you will see a button when you try and download a theme that is currently off to the right outside of that square.

I'm sorry you don't believe me but I do have a bit of experience with this.  I'm trying very hard to help you and I do believe I know exactly what the problem is (as I stated in the first response).

Every single one of those screen shots is in a 4:3 resolution.

The problem you are having will happen if WMC is in a 4:3 resolution.  I have never seen it happen in a standard HD resolution.

Can you take a screen shot of the problem with WMC in one of these standard resolutions?

To illustrate - here is me in the same screen with which you are having a problem with WMC forced to 4:3 mode (note, the window doesn't appear just like for you):

55bb9540a93d8_plugin43.png

Now, I hold down the ctrl key and drag the corner of the window to force WMC into a 16:9 ratio and the window you should see appears immediately:

55bb958003132_plugin169.png

You said you did this and it didn't work but all of your screen shots appear to still be in a 4:3 resolution.  Either using windowed mode like this or changing the actual computer graphics card resolution, should fix the problem as illustrated above.

If you really have forced WMC to a 16:9 resolution and still have this issue then it has to be a strange problem with either the video card or display that I haven't seen before.  Again, if you can post a screen shot of this that would be helpful.

We could try teamviewer but we wouldn't be able to change any actual resolution parameters with that I don't think.  We may be able to do the windowed mode trick though.

• Like 1

davros01

Ribbit...

Ok I admit defeat.

I did mention that I had tried all of that.

Many times.

I have it in windowed mode in the screen shots. I have ctrl dragged the screen to every size and shape you can dream of and no window appears to let me download.

However the screen shot you put up is helpful as it shows what should happen. But its not happening for me.

So we are stumped. I have tried it on other screens and the last resort is to dig an old monitor out of the atic to try it on. Its a flat panel one not a 4:3 square one.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the old media browser 2 that I had installed and tried to get themes for, but since it was not supported there was nothing there. So I downloaded and installed Emby without removing MB 2.

That might have caused some problem, as there is nothing else I can think of.

The Pc its running on is a Quad Core Q9650 overclocked to 4Ghz with a Nividia GTX 960 graphics card with the latest up to date non Beta Drivers.

After I have spent the whole week on this and all your great help and we are still no further forward I am prepared to mark it up as one of the mysteries of the universe and give it up as a bad job.

It works which is the main thing, even if I cant get any new themes its not the end of the world.

Maybe some of the programers who wrote it can look into it at some point, it may become more of an issue in the future as Tvs and monitors shift in size and format 4K etc....Who can tell...

Peace and thanks for trying to fix it , you chaps are doing a great job and its nice to know that all this help and support is out there for people like me (idiots) to use!

Cheers!

if you setup a teamviewer session i think of one these EMC veterans here can solve it for you in about 30 seconds.

davros01

Hello Vidman...

No its not resolved. I am living with it stuck the way it is. And I wish that I had never bothered and Media Browser 2 was still working.

In this day and age everyone is networked to everyone else and everything. Everything is shared and posted.

"Oh look at this pic of me on facebook that I just took down the pub"

"Look at this vid of me crashing my car..." and so on.

So Emby seems to  want to join the craze of everything being sent to everything.

And it works, but do you know what? Its not as easy to use as media browser and it takes longer to load than Media Browser did. And to me that  is a big mistake.

Instead of just clicking on media browser and going to my media, I now have to wait about 30 seconds "Welcome To Emby.....blah blah blah.." and then the screen comes up.

About once every other day it wont even start - Emby cannot connect to server error messages or Emby can not log on or some such rubbish, even though the Server program is running on the same blasted machine!

In other words its trying to be the jack of all trades and to me its master of none. The only reason I am using it is because I am stuck with it until I can either modify it or find something else better.

All I want is a program that lets you put up nice pictures and folders etc for your films, that you can select with the media center remote and it works instantly with no fuss.

I dont need something to stream Tv, or send my films to my mobile phone when I am half way up a mountain, or any other bells or whistles.

And its not my hardware that is at fault as its all only about a year old, and the graphics card is brand new, and all the drivers are up to date.

So no, its not resolved, and I am not impressed when a new fancy supposedly better program can not do something as well as the old one, that was written over five years ago...but thats about par for the course with PC software....Windows 8...Windows 10.....Leave it alone and just for Gods sake make one that WORKS!

"My names Ben Elton.....GOODNIGHT!"

Edited by davros01

Rainey

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

This guy just don't seem to know what a 16:9 screen shape looks like. He has yet to post one screen shot of a screen or window in a 16:9 ratio.

or a screen shot of WMC boarders set to a shape of 16:9

So you can only tell him to do that so many times.

davros01

To Rainey and all others who have answered me.

Thanks for your help.

However in my posts above I have stated time and TIME again, that I have resized the screen, stretched it out to make it 16:9 and also ran it at every resolution available that the graphics card and tv can take, 1080 and so on.

Nothing worked at all no matter how I stretched the screen. I have not put any screen shots of that up, because my screen grab software was rubbish, a real pain in the rear. I tried a couple of others but they were pretty bad too. I was spending hours and hours on this and getting no where so I have stopped messing with it. I dont know what it is but -

ITS NOT THE RESOLUTION!! I HAVE TRIED 16:9 AND CTRL DRAGGING THE SCREEN

I am not thick or an idiot or a pc novice by any standards. I just have not used the new EMBY until now.

Anyway dont worry, I am going to wipe the pc again in a few months when I get a new main board and a few more upgrades and I will try it again then. I think something must have gone wrong in the install as I put it on over the top of Media Browser 2 and I am sure it has something to do with that. At the moment I have other things to focus on as my Aunt has just been diagnosed with cancer and so as you can guess my priorities have changed!

Thanks for the help anyway and keep up the good work.

I have not put any screen shots of that up, because my screen grab software was rubbish, a real pain in the rear. I tried a couple of others but they were pretty bad too.

Alt-prtScn will throw the current window into the clipboard as an image.  That's all I ever use.

All the best to your Aunt.