Problems setting up, can anyone help? PLEASE!

davros01

davros01

Hello everyone.

After wiping my media center due to a hard drive problem, I have finally had to start using the New Emby instead of Media Browser 2. I am running windows 7 64bit all updates done.

Its very nice to look at, but very complex to set up!

I have installed the server, and set up my folders for my media, blu rays, tv shows etc.

I have installed emby for media center and its working fine.

The problems I have are this -

I run EMBY for WMC Configurator from my start menu in windows, but it only has 3 tabs and the pluggins option has vanished!

I have - External players , extenders + ISO, help tab. Thats all that is there and I dont use any of them.

If I go into media center and emby and go to the configuration and find the pluggins, its showing just the chocolate one installed. I go to the pluggin catalogue from there and click on diamond, but it just seems to make the screen go dark! It fades to a low brightness level and just sits there doing nothing. And no pluggins.

What am I doing wrong please?

Lastly I used to have some nice media folder art for the top folders done by a man called XENXIER, I think that was his name! I used to just go into the configurator for windows, and assign each folder (eg blu ray would get a picture of a folder with bluray disks) its own folder icon.

Then on starting media browser you would see a line of the folders on screen you could scroll through, one for blu ray, one for American Tv, one for Doctor Who and so on. I could click on them and you would then see each show within it, in its own folder. It was great, looked good, was easy to use and it was under the Diamond Theme / pluggin.

Is there any way / theme I can use to set it up like that again in the new Emby versions? How would I assign folders their own picture / icons?

I have read all the setup guides and got this far, but the guides seem to show an older media browser configurator and not the version that I have which is 3.0.283.0

Can anyone help with this as at the moment I cant navigate my stuff with ease as I used to and its driving me mad!

Please can anyone help? Many thanks for reading!

Issue #1 I believe is a screen resolution issue.  Is it a 4:3 display?  Try putting WMC into windowed mode in a 16:9 aspect (ctrl-drag the size band).

For issue #2 you now need to use the server configuration as all the content is managed by it.  Go to the web home page of your server and edit each folder from there.  You can then provide images for them.

davros01

Thanks for replying

I have got the folders sorted out to a large degree so thats now ok.

The issue one is not a screen resolution problem, or aspect ratio. I can see everything , the options are just not there as it only has those tabs I mentioned.

I have also noticed that all the help is listed on here for an older version than what I am using. In the older version the plugins option is simple and you can get what you want.

Now its not simple or straight forward anymore. I can understand tech moves on and updates are needed, but when the new version is a lot harder to use and no longer obvious what to do, then that is a step back in my book.

I still cant find, or download any new themes because - The ability to do it is missing.

Is anyone else having this problem? This is what I have in the Media Browser Configurator

55b8f115e9e27_emby1.jpg

As you can see there is nothing for pluggins there at all. And it wont do it from inside media center / emby when you go to the plugins catalogue all you see are a few themes, and clicking them does nothing at all.

Anyone have any answers?

Cheers!

Edited by davros01

Not in the configurator.  For a new user, it is not very intuitive to have to start an external program to install plugins.  So that is now inside of EMC.

You found that but had the issue with display.  Try what I suggested by putting WMC into windowed mode.

davros01

Hi thanks again.

Ok I have read more of these posts and I am not the only one with this problem. Another user has this issue and they told him to instal Emby Classic.

Where do I download that from please?

The home page downloads has Emby Server, Emby for Windows Media Center and Emby Theatre. Thats it.

I have - Emby Server Installed and Running and set up

I have - Emby for Windows Media Center installed and set up. Its called Media Browser Classic Configurator - Version 3.0.283.0

Is that supposed to be Emby Classic? Because the other user has the same issue and the same sort of screenshot showing the problem as the one I posted above.

So it cant be anything to do with aspect ratios, or running it windowed. I tried those anyway and its the same no matter what I do.

Can anyone tell me where I get emby classic and what it looks like. This is a nightmare! Media Browser 2 was simple to use and I could set it up in 5 minutes. This has taken me three days so far and its still not right.

Its an epic fail.

Yes, they are the same thing. Emby for EMC = Classic. We just need to get the name updated in the configurator.

davros01

I see.

So I have Emby Classic installed.

Well it does not work as shown. I have version 3.0.283.0 and the version in the tutorials is 3.0.72.0 so its a much earlier version.

Nothing I do gets it working, windowed or whatever as the tabs to instal themes are just not there. There are other users on here with this problem.

Can anyone help or advise as to what the issue is?

Its got nothing at all to do with full screen, windowed mode or aspect ratios , that is a fact. The program is missing the options to do things like plugins.

Its very strange. I have removed it, reinstalled it , tweaked it, the works. All to no avail.

Its a brand new clean install of windows 7 64bit, with nothing else other than a soundcard. Media center is setup and running. And its all fine. I downloaded the stable version from this site and not the beta.

Its running on a 42 inch hd tv and hd projector and the issue remains the same.

Can anyone offer any more help please?!?

Edited by davros01

Previously, you said you found the plugin catalog but the screen was blank when you tried to bring up the install page.  That is a display issue due to some sort of non-standard resolution.  That should be solvable by putting WMC into windowed mode.

However, now you say you don't even see the plug-ins tab inside of EMC.  If that is the case, then you are not logged in as an administrator.  Log into EMC as a user that has admin rights on your server and you should see the plug-ins tab.

davros01

Hello again. Ok it feels like we are getting somewhere.

I have some screen shots for you!  Here is what I have found in Media center. I go into emby, then to the config spanner and scroll through to the pluggins and get the catalogue -

55ba4bd8afcf3_1.png

Is this the place that you now have to dowload your themes? I dont want any plugins, just some themes like the Diamond classic to get things back to how they looked before.

So I click on a Diamond to download it and this is what happens to the screen --

55ba4c3f3aed1_2.png

And thats it.

It sits there forever like that to no avail.

So my final questions are - HOW do I log in as an administrator? WHERE do I log in as an administrator? And with WHAT?

There is nothing to log in to anything with in the Emby Classic Configurator.

I have one user on Emby server, thats ME and its just called media for media center.  How do I get admin rights and where? I have checked all the stuff on the Emby server page and I can access and change everything.

What am I doing wrong and is there a guide on here that tells you how to do this?

It really is a bit over the top. All I want to do is get themes working and with the old version it was 1 2 click and done. Now I need to set something up with admin rights as well????? !!!   Epic complex city!

If thats the case then so be it, what do I need to do, please. PLEASE!!!! So I van get this thing finished and go and get a beer and watch a film!

Cheers!

davros01

I have been doing some more digging.

My Profile on Emby server has all access and I read another thread on here about hacking the policy.xml file

So I went looking for it and its set up with the IS Administrator setting on TRUE

Along with everything else.

Sigh....

You said above -

If that is the case, then you are not logged in as an administrator.  Log into EMC as a user that has admin rights on your server and you should see the plug-ins tab.

Log into EMC? What is that? Are you talking about the program you run from the start button called EMBY for WMC Configurator?

How do you log into that when it just opens and pops up?

I only have one user set up in the server and nothing is connected to anything! I dont have a phone and I dont want to share anything or watch internet tv or do anything clever! I dont have any other users or need any as I live alone, so I just set EMBY SERVER up following the standard settings.

I made a password for it that you have to set up and have it remember in media center and thats all I did.

HEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!

Or I am going to give up and just go and buy a set top box and a now tv box or somehting....

techywarrior

The only time you need to launch Emby for WMC Configurator is if you are setting up an external player. It's strange for you because in MB2 everything was configured via the configurator but with Emby (MB3) the configurator is basically deprecated and can be ignored unless you are setting up an external player.

Log into Emby for WMC (EMC) and if you are an administrator you should be able to install plugins and themes as described previously. You may want to logout and log back in if you have it automatically logging you in because I am not sure if it pulls the updated permissions (it probably does, just trying to cover the bases).

Another note. Most/many of the old MB2 themes are not available in Emby or are not fully supported because those theme developers left a long time ago and never updated their themes to work with the new architecture.

davros01

Cool...

Just imagine for a minute here, that I am a complete idiot.

What do I log into... Where? Do I log out of or off Emby Server page? Then back in?

Do I log off or out of the media center part somehow?

And how do I log into the configurator if there is nothing there to log into?????

From what I have read of the replies and managed to work out for myself, you must get themes from the plugins cat inside emby thats inside the media center. Is that right?

And the reason it wont work is because I am not logged in as an administrator?

Ok fair enough I get that. HOW DO I FIX IT?????

Can you please, pretty please, give me a step by step guide with what program to use and how to do it? Even a rough idea would help.

Thanks for replying again again...

AN UPDATE

I checked the Server Information and Port / Local address etc and it MATCHES what I have set up in media center / emby under the Advanced config tab there are the end.

So all of that is right. I logged out of Emby server, logged back into Emby server. I restarted Emby server!

I changed the password to something new and did the same at media center end.

At the server end it shows the active devices, one tab for internet explore and one tab for the media center / emby login.

IT STILL WONT LET NE DOWNLOAD THEMES OR SHOW THE THEMES TAB!!!!

I have had enough for one night. Thats it.

Four days now fighting this stupid user unfriendly nightmare of a program, just so I can put in a couple of themes to get media center to look like it did before it crashed.

This program is an absolute pig to use.

Thanks for all the help and replies and so on all the same. Maybe the people who wrote and created this need to think about how a new version that's all singing and dancing is not as good and easy to use as the old version....

Just a thought.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Edited by davros01

techywarrior

From what I have read of the replies and managed to work out for myself, you must get themes from the plugins cat inside emby thats inside the media center. Is that right?

And the reason it wont work is because I am not logged in as an administrator?

Yes and Yes.

Start Windows Media Center.

Click on Emby

(I have multiple users so it asks me to select a user and password. Since you have only one user I am not sure if it still asks, but that is "logging in" to Emby)

I don't know the default theme well but there should be a wrench/spanner that you can click on to open the settings. That is like the old settings section in MB2 but it now also has almost all the options from the old configurator in it as well.

If you aren't seeing plugins and themes then you can check to make sure your user is an admin.

Go to Manage Server in the left menu

Click on Users

Check your user is an administrator

BUT from your earlier screenshot it looks like you got to the theme/plugin section in Emby for Windows Media Center (EMC) and are having a separate problem in that the theme is not downloading.

Did you try installing any other themes? Do they all do that? Ebr may need some debug logs to see what the problem is because it may be something else too.

Issue #1 I believe is a screen resolution issue.  Is it a 4:3 display?  Try putting WMC into windowed mode in a 16:9 aspect (ctrl-drag the size band).

Hello again. Ok it feels like we are getting somewhere.

I have some screen shots for you!  Here is what I have found in Media center. I go into emby, then to the config spanner and scroll through to the pluggins and get the catalogue -

55ba4bd8afcf3_1.png

Is this the place that you now have to dowload your themes? I dont want any plugins, just some themes like the Diamond classic to get things back to how they looked before.

So I click on a Diamond to download it and this is what happens to the screen --

55ba4c3f3aed1_2.png

That is a 4:3 display and it looks like the problem is just what I described above.

Did you put WMC into windowed mode and then ctrl-drag the corner of the window to make it be a 16:9 aspect ratio?

davros01

Thanks!

Ok I get that part of it. I have been into the server users section. I just have one user and its set to let me access everything, allow this user to manage the server etc etc all is ticked positive.

Access is set to enable all access and so on

I am not using parental control

Password section was enabled with password and ALSO the easy pin set up is ticked and there is an easy pin there and thats working.

If I go to edit this users profile, there is just one MEDIA and its all set up to let me access everything.

So all of that I understand.

BUT at no point, nor anywhere I can see, is something telling me the user is an administrator.

Where does it tell you this and how can you change it ?

And as for the themes in media center, none of them will download or work, I cant install anything at all from there on the themes menu and the tabs for themes etc do not show in the classic media browser config program from windows.

Hence I cant do anything with it other than leave it all as a default setup with just the chocolate theme and the default theme.

Do you have any idea what might be wrong?

The thing is it did this the first time I installed it. And its into a fresh version of windows 7 64bit. A quad core chip and fast graphics card etc and all the updates are done, the system is new and up to date. Its proving to be a bit of a disaster to say the least.

davros01

That is a 4:3 display and it looks like the problem is just what I described above.

Did you put WMC into windowed mode and then ctrl-drag the corner of the window to make it be a 16:9 aspect ratio?

Trust me its not a 4:3 display!

Its a 42inch HD TV! Running in widescreen or whatever you want to call it. I have tried it in windowed mode as well yes. It just shows like that in the screen shot because of the naff screen grab program I used.

I have put up a screen grab on here of the wmc classic config app thingy and as you can see, you can see ALL of the program and the TABS ARE NOT THERE!!!

Its not because its the wrong shape and wont fit the screen so you cant see part of the program!!!!!!!

I wish it was, because I could fix that in 5 seconds and not have spent the last 4 days tearing my hair out, getting annoyed and posting like mad asking for help on here, and bugging you fine people!

Stress!!!

Anyhoo I think its got everything to do with  the admin issue etc. Which is ironic really. I am all in favour of being secure, but when your own program is so secure you cant use it properly yourself it sort of defeats the object!

heeheehe peace.

Edited by davros01

BUT at no point, nor anywhere I can see, is something telling me the user is an administrator.

Where does it tell you this and how can you change it ?

Since you only have one user it isn't possible to NOT be an admin.  But here is where it is (that check box may be hidden if there is only one user):

55ba671fe3686_adminuser.png

That isn't a problem though since you are getting to the plug-in catalog.

The problem you are having is definitely a resolution problem.  When you put WMC into windowed mode was it shaped like a widescreen or more square like your images above?  Did you try ctl-dragging the corner of the window?

If none of that works, can you change the resolution of the TV/monitor?  What is it set to now?

davros01

Ah I see. Well I am an administrator then, because that box is ticked and there is only one person that uses this and thats me.

That solves that problem.

Its running at a resolution of 1600 x 1200

And I have put media center into windowed mode, cntrl dragged the screen, everything. I can scroll through and see all the themes, and the book one and the game browser one, the lot.

I click on one to download like pearl or rush and all that happens is the screen goes darker like its doing something and nothing happens.

I can scroll around , drop out and go back to media center and so on, the pc does not freeze and everything works so your guess is as good as mine.

If I am an administrator why can I not see any tabs for theme downloads in the classic "app" in windows? Its just not there at all like it is in the screen shot guides for how to set it all up in the tutorials in these forums.

Has it been changed in an update and no longer has them there?

I am at a total loss, as everything works fine apart from that.

What happens in the future when someone writes a great new theme and I cant get it or make it work? Thats why I want to solve this problem.

Over to you once more guys!

techywarrior

The old configurator is obsolete, deprecated, no longer in use, don't run it at all!!! :)

The only exception is if you want to setup an external player for EMC or ISO mounting.

I wonder if you have some sort of write permission issue. Is the user you installed Emby with a system admin? And is that the user you are logged into the computer with?

1600x1200 = 1.333:1 or 4:3.

You are running in a 4:3 resolution.  If you can change it to a proper 16x9 one (like 1920x1080 or 1280x720) you will be able to see the window that you cannot see now.

davros01

Ok.

I wont bother with the config prog anymore.

And as for the pc its just one user, and thats  me.

I am the administrator and have full access to everything.

The pc is called Media if thats a  problem? And so the Emby user being called Media as well might be an issue?

I doubt it though. So no one has any idea what is going on? What about the people who wrote this?

Any other users of Emby have this mystical issue of it not letting you donwload the themes?

Its just weird as I feel like we have exhausted all the options.

I am at a loss. I just watched an episode of Breaking Bad from the first season and I hate the way its set up with seasons as banners and text.

I liked the old method of thumbnails and info and you could see what you had watched and whats next at glance. And I cant change it until I can get a theme to work!

It really is a pain in the posterior.

I am giving up for the night and I am going to get a beer. Thanks for listening and trying to help and I will put up more posts tomorrow after I have sobered up and come around and can be bothered to faff on with it for another afternoon getting nowhere..

Not that I am a cynic or anything.

Night dudes!

I doubt it though. So no one has any idea what is going on? What about the people who wrote this?

Any other users of Emby have this mystical issue of it not letting you donwload the themes?

Its just weird as I feel like we have exhausted all the options.

Did you read my post above yours?  The problem is what I have been saying all along.  If you can get the display into a true 16:9 resolution, it will be solved.

1600x1200 = 1.333:1 or 4:3.

You are running in a 4:3 resolution.  If you can change it to a proper 16x9 one (like 1920x1080 or 1280x720) you will be able to see the window that you cannot see now.

I think Ebr is just saying resize the window so that the aspect ratio is wide and then that will fix the problem. It only needs to be done temporarily while you are setting things up.

Also, I don't really think installing an older theme is going to solve your overall problem anyway.

You should explore the options that are available to you in the Chocolate theme.  It is quite flexible.  If you don't like the TV display, turn off the special TV view (look in the config options - chocolate views tab).  Then explore all the different view types that are available within each folder as well (click the cog).