Issue playing files on Server

mark142

mark142

Hi there.  I have recently noticed a strange issue when playing files from my Emby server.  When I click the file to play in Kodi, a message pops up asking me to select to play via http or https and remember for next time.  or something similar.  I have to click the first option and then the file plays no problem.  Selecting the second crashes the files from playing.  I never noticed this before.  Is this a emby issue or a kodi issue?

Thanks

xnappo

This probably means that your Emby server access was never set up right before (either the paths you used on the server, or incorrect path substitution).  We used to just fallback to HTTP quietly, but then this causes other issues (access to .srt files for example).

Is your server Windows or Linux?  How do you have the paths set up to your media?  ie c:\moves, /directory/movies or \\server\share\movies?

mark142

Thanks for replying xnappo. I had installed the server on WHS 2011.  I know it was not 100% compatible but had never seen this issue before. What you have said kinda makes sense.   I have been messing with my server folders recently so this may have caused the issue.  I'm going to be moving it onto windows 8.1 shortly (in preparation for Windows 10) and also to get certain other programs like emby working 100%.

From memory its set up \\server\share\movies format but will check when I am home tonight.  It looks like its something I may have done but I was not sure if this was the case.  I'll migrate the files to Windows 8.1 over the coming days and see if the problem persists.

Thanks for the quick response as it has put my mind at ease as to the potential cause.

xnappo

Thanks for replying xnappo. I had installed the server on WHS 2011.  I know it was not 100% compatible but had never seen this issue before. What you have said kinda makes sense.   I have been messing with my server folders recently so this may have caused the issue.  I'm going to be moving it onto windows 8.1 shortly (in preparation for Windows 10) and also to get certain other programs like emby working 100%.

From memory its set up \\server\share\movies format but will check when I am home tonight.  It looks like its something I may have done but I was not sure if this was the case.  I'll migrate the files to Windows 8.1 over the coming days and see if the problem persists.

Thanks for the quick response as it has put my mind at ease as to the potential cause.

Okay, let us know.  The other thing that could cause this is a permissions problem - make sure you have the SMB Username/Password set in the addon settings.

xnappo

Angelblue05

If you are using nfs shares (are you?) this will be rectified in the next version (are you on beta or stable?). If none of what I said applies then disregard :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark142

Hi. An update. I have migrated the server. Fresh install. Issue still there. I have noticed that it only happens on one of my clients. Emby server is feeding 2 boxes in the house. Kids box which has separate profile for kids movies etc. Plays fine. Main box under the master profile still can't get direct play. I'll check the permissions and if I'm on beta on one box vs the other. And no I'm on smb. Can not seem to get nfs to work on Windows machines.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Angelblue05

Did you put in your smb credentials? You can test by going in Videos > Files > Add Videos... Then navigate to your share via the smb protocol, Kodi will probably prompt you for credentials (those credentials is what you technically want to have in the add-on settings).