Possible issue with question marks in paths

jleckenby

jleckenby

Kodi version: 15 RC2

Plugin verison: 1.1.13

Ever since I switched to the plugin I've had one series in my library where none of the videos would play. It's just dawned on me today why! The question mark in the path was causing the issue.

I changed the path and updated everywhere and all is well. Obviously that's a workaround though.

Angelblue05

Can you give an example of the path? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jleckenby

Hey,

smb://CORSAIR/TV Shows/Are You Being Served?/Season 1/S01E01 - Pilot.avi

Hope that helps! :)

xnappo

While obviously it must be working in some way, Google says that that is not legal.

Angelblue05

I'm quite shocked, what created the folder name? Because "?" is considered an illegal character in file name....

• 2 weeks later...
jleckenby

Freenas, I can access it fine over SMB and AFP though using Mac and Linux. It's been like that since I can remember, and was downloaded using Sonarr.

Angelblue05

Really odd since I use sonarr as well and don't have titles with question marks in them. If it's something you can repeat, I'd suggest you report this issue to them.

There is really nothing we can do on our side. You will need to ensure there is no question marks or rename your content appropriately. :)

jleckenby

I don't think it's a bug with Sonarr, I chose the path at the time (the series name does end with a question mark and I'm very OCD!). As far as I'm aware the only unsupported OS should be Windows as the character is reserved. Samba also works fine with a question mark. In fact I'm pretty sure it just encodes the question mark last time I looked, maybe thats a problem.

At any rate, I just switch to the fire tv emby app to watch the series (which works perfectly). I've also watched it with Kodi when I was using the native library over SMB. It's not really a major bug but I bet it catches a few out! :)

• 2 weeks later...
puithove

There's an option in Sonarr somewhere to rename files so they don't use illegal chars.  Seriously - having any of the illegal chars in your paths will do nothing but haunt you with issues.

Damn, the latest android TV update stopped the files from playing to :(

I'm kind of surprised that anything in the update affected this but you could try turning off the new VLC player and see if that fixes it.  However, I agree that continuing with this naming convention will probably just cause you more problems down the road.

There's an option in Sonarr somewhere to rename files so they don't use illegal chars.  

He created the folder himself.

jleckenby

I can rename it, but that doesn't stop the fact that my naming convention is not actually illegal. Yes, in Windows they are a reserved character, but other platforms are fine with a question mark in the path. And it's not like I can't play the files through the web interface still.

Back to the original Kodi issue, if I add it direct (i.e. over SMB not using plugin, works perfectly fine). It looks like it's the path that the plugin is giving Kodi that is wrong. I will confirm the result of turning off VLC when I get home.