Undefined Error 0

TolkienBard

TolkienBard

I haven't seen this error in ages, but after updating the server and loading Kingsman, this is what I get. My SO also claims she was getting the error trying to watch something, but I cannot for the life of me remember what she was trying to watch now. 

I just now updated the app to make sure I am on the latest version. I am running server 5666.1 I am on an 'E' model plasma.

I have tried playing the file in the Windows PC Client App, and it works just fine there.

Last time I had this issue it had something to do with the file itself. This is a mkv straight from BD with no doctoring. I have attached the transcode log from the attempt to play. Anyone have any thoughts?

Video

CodecH264

ProfileHigh

Level41

Resolution1920x1080

Aspect ratio16:9

AnamorphicNo

InterlacedNo

Framerate23.97602

Bitrate35671 kbps

Bit depth8 bit

Pixel formatyuv420p

Ref frames4

CABACYes

Audio

Languageeng

CodecDCA

ProfileDTS-HD MA

Layout5.1

Channels6 ch

Sample rate48000 khz

DefaultYes

Audio

Languageeng

CodecDCA

ProfileDTS

Layout5.1

Channels6 ch

Bitrate1500 kbps

Sample rate48000 khz

DefaultNo

Audio

Languageeng

CodecAC3

Layout5.1

Channels6 ch

Bitrate437 kbps

Sample rate48000 khz

DefaultNo

FrostByte

That looks like a Samsung error to me.  I used to get similar ones when I had a format that wasn't playable on my TV (PCM with >2 channels, etc), I think it was error 0 and 3 that I always got.  I don't have the list of errors to look up, Chess had them and I haven't seen him in awhile.  Have you tried playing the movie using the built in Samsung app to see if you get the same error? 

I really don't see any issues with the info of your mkv other than your bitrate is way more than I ever rip mine.  Add the 3 audio streams and you're probably way over 40,000 kbps.  Can your tv handle that?  My F model can only do 30K according to the manual and I think the newer models can do up to 60K.  Is the file direct playing (click the info button)?  The app may be direct streaming the file, but should have transcoded it instead if you're tv can't handle it.  That's what Chess had to do for PCM audio >2 channels on F series tvs.

Edited by FrostByte

TolkienBard

I honestly have no idea what it is trying to do. When I select "Play" I get a brief "loading..." and then it kicks out to the "Undefined Render Error: 0" message. I'm not even getting a chance to see what it is trying to do via the info. I'll have to see if I can play it possibly using the tv's browser (I hate that thing) or see if I can get DLNA to be nice and try playing it that way.

As for the bitrate on my mkv files, that's just what it is on the disc. I rip mine ot the server with zero compression, though I have been known to drop some foreign language subtitles and tracks from time to time. Usually though, I just stick the disc in and click rip. The whole point of moving up to the big machine I have was to do away with concerns over finding the best compression rates and to just let the movies be what they were when I bought them on disc.

FrostByte

If you get the same error using the TVs app (ya, it sucks and I only use it to test compatibility) preferably from a usb drive and get the same error then it's the TV rejecting the file.  You could try going into the Emby apps settings and changing the bitrate there to something lower to test if it is the bitrate.  That should force a transcode by Emby Samsung app.  You may also be able to do this on the server, but the setting in the app works fine.  You could also try setting the second audio track as the default and see if it's the DTS-HD track that is being rejected

Your manual should have a page in it something like this with formats and bitrates supported.  Anything else will need to be transcoded by the app or you.  Else the tv throws an error. 

559d3d5a31e60_F8000video.jpg

Edited by FrostByte

TolkienBard

I'll give running the movie off a thumb drive a shot and report back. Thanks for the help.

• 2 weeks later...
TolkienBard

It turns out the culprit was my audio track. I started encountering problems with Jupiter Ascending as well. I could start that one up, but the audio was all out of whack. When I removed the ATMOS track from the mkv rip, it started to play just fine. That gave me a thought. I went back and removed the 7.1 True HD track from the Kingsman mvk and it works just fine now.

• Like 1

FrostByte

Glad you found the offending culprit.  The code might need to be changed to transcode the audio then.  I'm surprised it didn't but maybe the number of channels confused it (most of my TrueHD isn't 7.1 channels and it transcodes fine). 

If you have multiple audio tracks in the mkv you can just remux the mkv and mark the other audio track as default (maybe also move it up above the TrueHD track) and it should play that one while ignoring the 7.1 TrueHD track so you can keep the TrueHD track if you want.  The app should play the default audio track.  The app itself may also let you choose the audio track you want (if you can get that far with that error).  Just click the Tools button on the remote after hitting play I believe should bring up a menu to choose an audio track which is compatible with your TV.  You may not be able to once that error comes up though, not sure.

Edited by FrostByte

TolkienBard

ATMOS

Yup, it was the ATMOS causing the trouble. Kingsman also has an ATMOS track. 7.1 True HD I seem to have no issues with, at least as far as I can tell. Once ATMOS becomes integrated into the 7.1 mix, it becomes a problem for me to use the Samsung app. If I play the movie using a PC and pipe it through my AVR on the way to the television I have zero issues, even with the ATMOS track still embedded. I'm just going to need to start paying closer attention to which discs have ATMOS tracks and which do not, that's all. I may indeed start using a second program to alter the default audio track, that way I can continue to rip the full disc, leaving me with the ATMOS option for when I am going to do more "serious" watching.

• Like 1