Two Computers..+ Emby

Tolerant

Tolerant

My friend has a Laptop and a Desktop PC. Currently the Desktop runs Emby, although my friend does not fully appreciate or use this setup atm. He is very old school and used to having movies on each PC, and with a little strong arming from me, having them networked. So to have Emby running on his Desktop PC is a big switch for him. I want to make this as pain less as possible, so I am looking for suggestions. Considering what he is used to, what he has experience with and what I want to make available to him.. are there any suggestions for the next course of action? How can I help him move towards using Emby for all of his devices? etc.

deepseth

Rather than trying to bodge it and giving him a half baked experience, just let him spend more time in your environment. If he likes it and sees the value to his life, he'll be willing to put in the required steps to have it for himself too.

If he doesn't, it's not for him, and let him carry on. Just because you think something is better, doesn't mean everyone else will. Everyone has different needs.

Raff

The simple answer is: you need to sell him on what Emby brings to his media consumption experience. How does a centralized media server benefit him? Does he have several different devices he likes to use? Does he migrate between his laptop and desktop between episode or during movies? Maybe the interface/clients alone can add to his experience if he is just folder surfing - have you shown off a full install to him yet?

Based on your comment about the networking, I am going to make some assumptions about his level of technical knowledge. My guess is that he didn't want to build and maintain a home network. For many of us, this is no big deal, but it can be daunting if you don't understand how it works - especially with all the scary stories about what happens when things go wrong.

He may have had bad experiences with connectivity in the past, so he doesn't want to depend on it to watch his media. Maybe he has used other "media centers" and they weren't to his liking. If he is just switching between two devices, even if he has more he could use, he probably thinks setting up a server is overkill. Regardless, you probably need to understand exactly why he is hesitant and work from there. My guess is if you can't convince him with a demo of your set-up, no media server is going to work for him.

Raff

Yeah, my reply was the tl;dr version of what Raff said :-)

You were the inspiration - I just figured more detail would help!

That and I am horribly long-winded...