newbe here

sealizard

sealizard

Hello everyone.

I just have a few questions. 

ok i installed the emby server on my pc (windows 7) and it installed ok. and installed server wmc app and the embytv app.

installed the emby app on my roku and I am able to connect to my server and see the folders i made. i even installed beeg app and i am able to see the videos from there on my roku

I have gone to the server page in firefox and see my server up and running. but when i go to live tv i keep getting this

EmbyTV

Unknowncheckmarkgreen.png Up to date!

Status: Unavailable (Unable to connect to the remote server)

ServerWMC

Unknowncheckmarkgreen.png Up to date!

Status: Unavailable (No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it [::1]:9080)

I am not sure what I need to do. I have read the community pages but and saw that someone was able to get tv with just there roku and no pc. my goal is to get rid of my cable and bill.

I am not sure if i need a tv tuner card on my pc for this to work. any help would be very much appreciated.

thank you in advance.

farside847

Yes. You need a tuner for wmcserver or embyTV to connect to. I humbly suggest a hdhomerun :)

sealizard

Farside excuse my stupidity. If i bought the hdhomerun do i have to have any typ of pay service to get unscrambled channels like usa tnt tbs discovery?

Thank you for your reply

farside847

It depends on how you want to pull in channels. You can hook up a tuner to an antenna and try and pull local channels over the air for free, or hook up a tuner to your cable paid subscription. They make tuners for both options. but I think channels like discovery and TBS are only available from a cable company.

Since I live out in the boonies and can't get hardly anything over the air, my setup includes a basic cable subscription for $30, attached to my cable card tuner from hdhomerun, attached to the network. Then my WMC server can pull live TV shows and record stuff. Emby can stream the recordings and with the help of WMCserver stream live tv, although I have been watching the development of embytv recently - it looks cool.

Edited by farside847

If your cable provider protects the channels (many do) your only option to get them any way other than through their cable box will be WMC right now.  With WMC/ServerWMC/ServerWMC plugin for Emby you can also get them in Emby.