Server on two networked computers

PBzeer
Go to solution Solved by deepseth,

PBzeer

I'm experimenting with running the server on a different pc, and assume it's not a problem to leave the original, as long as it's not running (disabled run at startup as well). Once I'm satisfied that's the way I want to go, then I'll unistall the original. Just wanted to check that it wouldn't create a problem.

Happy2Play

You can run both, just set them up on different ports.

PBzeer

Don't need to run both, just didn't want to uninstall (and then have to reinstall, it tends to screw up my sort titles) before I was sure that's what I wanted to do.

Thanks for the info though.

Deihmos

If they are on different machines you don't need to use different ports btw

Yes you do. You can't forward one port to multiple machines.

Spaceboy

But if you want to access both externally then you should

Edit, beat me to it

Edited by Spaceboy

PBzeer

As I said, only going to have one running at a time. Just wanted to be sure it wouldn't create a conflict.

Vidman

Yes you do. You can't forward one port to multiple machines.

Sure if you need to have remote access to both servers at the same time, but if you read the ops post that was not a requirement

Edit: even then it should not be nessasary as you would need to forward two external ports anyway so you could forward each one to 8096 of each machines ip

Edited by Vidman

• Solution
deepseth

Running this on different machines on the same LAN isn't an issue. If it was, it would suck in shared households where multiple people want to run their own Emby instances with their own media collections.

As everyone else has already noted, different external ports would be required for port forwarding for multiple simultaneous, but that's no different to any other service, and not something you're interested in doing anyway.

FWIW, I've got two Emby instances and three Plex instances running on the same LAN right now. No problems.

• Like 1