New version Update

CtrlAlt7

SikSlayer

we'll have a beta for you guys sometime next week. we just need a few more days so hang tight.

Do what you gotta do. Don't rush for a second. It's ready when YOU feel it is, not when some petulant children say they're fed up.

It's that simple.

• Like 1

Take your time guys, you have delivered magnificently on everything else Emby. It is also refreshing to find developers who are not cowed into releasing software before it is ready. Happy New Year to you all and thank you for all you have done for us in 2015  :)

• Like 1

we'll have a beta for you guys sometime next week. we just need a few more days so hang tight.

This is good news indeed. Thanks for all the effort that is going into this.

m

Its hilarious the ferocity with which some people defend these delays and information black outs on what would be the flagship client to Emby, something that has been touted as open source since day 1.

You've been given nothing but "coming soon" for almost an entire year and you might be okay with that, but what could be more childish than turning your nose up at others for inquiring into the delay? People who have thrown money and time of their own at this to be sat on the sideline.

Is this really our community now? Really? Talking with the people over at cCloud about bring IPTV to Emby brought me back here to see where development was headed so we could get something started but Plex looks better by the day.

We were better as a whole trapped inside WMC.

It will be open source, however, in order to be competitive we do need to have some control over when certain information gets released, and if it is open source before release then we have no ability to do that. I hope you guys will understand. All throughout the community you are comparing us to other software, so I can only assume you guys would like us to be as competitive as we possibly can be, and this will allow us to do that.

• Like 8

Also, in doing this, we are saving you guys...from yourselves :)

I will tell you exactly what that means once we have it in your hands.

Redshirt

Its hilarious the ferocity with which some people defend these delays and information black outs on what would be the flagship client to Emby, something that has been touted as open source since day 1.

You've been given nothing but "coming soon" for almost an entire year and you might be okay with that, but what could be more childish than turning your nose up at others for inquiring into the delay? People who have thrown money and time of their own at this to be sat on the sideline.

Is this really our community now? Really? Talking with the people over at cCloud about bring IPTV to Emby brought me back here to see where development was headed so we could get something started but Plex looks better by the day.

We were better as a whole trapped inside WMC.

Server metrics are showing the core devs just what clients people are using. If WMC or Theater were the most used clients then I'm sure theater would get the most attention. I can guarantee that set-top boxes and devices are the majority. Just because you deem the HTPC  as the flagship doesn't mean that statement has any basis in reality. 

Don't you guys miss the days of buying all your parts separately? I thought the tinkering was part of the fun. Stop buying all those set top boxes :)

• Like 6

Guest asrequested

Don't you guys miss the days of buying all your parts separately? I thought the tinkering was part of the fun. Stop buying all those set top boxes :)

My HTPC will be buried with me! Pish, to the set top boxes. Pish, I say!

I just so happen to have built a new HTPC, last week  :D

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 1

Xzener

I bought a Roku3... Wasn't impressed. I keep going back to my tinker machines (Aka HTPCs). All these STBs are fine for a bedroom, but for a true theater experience, a HTPC with Emby Theater is where its at.

• Like 2

Redshirt

I bought a Roku3... Wasn't impressed. I keep going back to my tinker machines (Aka HTPCs). All these STBs are fine for a bedroom, but for a true theater experience, a HTPC with Emby Theater is where its at.

I haven't used an HTPC in months. Among other things, I got sick of codecs. Right before I retired it, I upgraded to win 10 and every time I pressed a button on my remote the iMon software would draw the start menu into the foreground and I'd have to fight to get Emby Theater back into the foreground. Also the startup time on my Fire TV blows my HTPC out of the water. Not to mention I'm going deaf in my old age so for me there's no real difference between Dolby Atmos and someone farting into a kazoo. 

• Like 4

Koleckai Silvestri

Server metrics are showing the core devs just what clients people are using. If WMC or Theater were the most used clients then I'm sure theater would get the most attention. I can guarantee that set-top boxes and devices are the majority. Just because you deem the HTPC  as the flagship doesn't mean that statement has any basis in reality. 

Probably because there isn't a client geared towards an HTPC that doesn't require the obsolete Windows Media Center or a third-party user interface. I use the web client and my set top boxes simply because there isn't an HTPC client available.

Deathsquirrel

I'm using Emby theater as I type this but the HTPC is just a PITA to use and maintain compared to a dedicated device.  I like the power but it's no wonder things like the roku get more use.

AmericanCrisis

I haven't used an HTPC in months. Among other things, I got sick of codecs. Right before I retired it, I upgraded to win 10 and every time I pressed a button on my remote the iMon software would draw the start menu into the foreground and I'd have to fight to get Emby Theater back into the foreground. Also the startup time on my Fire TV blows my HTPC out of the water. Not to mention I'm going deaf in my old age so for me there's no real difference between Dolby Atmos and someone farting into a kazoo. 

Whoa really?  I'm old and deaf too but I can clearly tell a difference.  Are you using an old single core Pentium?  What STB boots/loads faster than a modern quad core AMD/Intel (I'd like to know really)?  What STB can playback at 24Hz?  Have you tried Kodi on HTPC?  If ET is anywhere close to be as awesome as Kodi has been I'll be more than happy.  I recently retired Win8.1 (WMC) and tried out Win10 (Kodi) and the HTPC has reunited my passion for building and tinkering with these things.  

I have several times  sold a Chromecast, Fire Stick and Roku after trying them and realizing they don't live up to my expectations.  The only thing they are superior at is streaming Netflix and Amazon Instant Video.  I far too often get frustrated with their lack of fluidity though.  

• Like 1

MadibaJ

My HTPC will be buried with me!

With my tinkering on the HTPC and the occasional down times my wife is liable to bury me and my HTPC. [emoji848].

• Like 3

With my tinkering on the HTPC and the occasional down times my wife is liable to bury me and my HTPC. [emoji848].

Hear that brother lol my Mrs says I've should have married a computer the time I spend trying to get everything movie just right what with madvr and reclock, kodi ,dsplayer and now emby lol

Vidman

Whoa really? I'm old and deaf too but I can clearly tell a difference. Are you using an old single core Pentium? What STB boots/loads faster than a modern quad core AMD/Intel (I'd like to know really)? What STB can playback at 24Hz? Have you tried Kodi on HTPC? If ET is anywhere close to be as awesome as Kodi has been I'll be more than happy. I recently retired Win8.1 (WMC) and tried out Win10 (Kodi) and the HTPC has reunited my passion for building and tinkering with these things.

I have several times sold a Chromecast, Fire Stick and Roku after trying them and realizing they don't live up to my expectations. The only thing they are superior at is streaming Netflix and Amazon Instant Video. I far too often get frustrated with their lack of fluidity though.

Try the nvidia shield tv
  • Like 1

AmericanCrisis

Try the nvidia shield tv

I've strongly considered purchasing one.  My current HTPC doubles as the server at the moment.  I'm in the process of building a dedicated server and moving the HTPC's GTX 970 to the server so that I can game stream from an always on server.  The Nvidia Shield supports this perfectly (so I've read).  My hesitation is losing madVR and DTS-HD (although I'm unaware if they have added either of these features to the Shield).  

lulzyatlas

It will be open source, however, in order to be competitive we do need to have some control over when certain information gets released, and if it is open source before release then we have no ability to do that. I hope you guys will understand. All throughout the community you are comparing us to other software, so I can only assume you guys would like us to be as competitive as we possibly can be, and this will allow us to do that.

You've never lied to us before Luke, so if ya say all is well, then I'll take it. Don't take my complaints as wanting us to be mixed up in competing with the other guys, they're nice, I just don't want to see Emby slow on what I believe is its path of surpassing every other method as it comes into an ecosystem of its own.

Redshirt

Whoa really?  I'm old and deaf too but I can clearly tell a difference.  Are you using an old single core Pentium?  What STB boots/loads faster than a modern quad core AMD/Intel (I'd like to know really)?  What STB can playback at 24Hz?  Have you tried Kodi on HTPC?  If ET is anywhere close to be as awesome as Kodi has been I'll be more than happy.  I recently retired Win8.1 (WMC) and tried out Win10 (Kodi) and the HTPC has reunited my passion for building and tinkering with these things.  

I have several times  sold a Chromecast, Fire Stick and Roku after trying them and realizing they don't live up to my expectations.  The only thing they are superior at is streaming Netflix and Amazon Instant Video.  I far too often get frustrated with their lack of fluidity though.  

Yeah I'm being a little hyperbolic with the audio comparison :) Living in a condo I can't exactly crank the audio, so for me multi-channel sounds fine regardless of the format it's delivered to my receiver. Regarding the startup. My HTPC was a C2Q Q9550. Waking up from sleep mode wasn't reliable so I had to do a full shutdown rather than sleep. My Fire TV sleeps without issue and wakes in less than 2 seconds.

You bet I tried Kodi on the FTV with the emby add-on. Tried it about 2-3 months ago and had so many issues I was forced to abandon it. Everything from double reporting to Trakt to the library not updating. My personal favorite was it just randomly playing media when idle. All-in-all not a viable solution. 

I'll be picking up a Nvidia Shield TV this coming weekend which will also allow me to use my Harmony remote and it'll be like heaven in my livingroom again. If I had more financial resources I might have a dedicated theater room and care about 24hz switching and whether the correct light comes on in my receiver. For now... having stuff just work properly, all the time, is more important to me than anything else.

• Like 1