New version Update

CtrlAlt7

Stop expecting too much from those that volunteer their time. In addition, your conspiracy theories about the status of the project only hurt your chances of getting what your asking.   

Your berating comments for developers to "show" their current work or suggesting nothing is happening (i.e. developers are lying) is "trolling" IMO.  You are owed nothing to be shown to you...even if it is promised last year and not delivered till the next year.   In my opinion, your constant comments repeating the same demands over and over...are nothing more than entitled whining.  Going forward I will replace "trolling" with "whining" to keep things civil.

Also, the posting of alternatives of Emby Apps (for basic) or Kodi (for advanced needs) will meet all the current NEEDS of any HTPC enthusiast.  So while you WANT something new, to get what is being asked from a feature perspective, everything is available in the current ecosystem (except a product called Emby Theater). 

The Emby team has stated (with my comments):

• That Emby Theater is being worked on (slowly)
  • Their are plenty of options in the meantime.    Every feature requested has a working solution (albeit not called Emby Theater - If you don't like the look or prefer something else, write the solution yourself or go find something better)
  • There was plenty of work being done (like syncing and streaming) delivered over the last year.
  • There is not ETA of a release product.   (Anything provided previously was a best guess at the time, but consider it essentially void if your one of the posters that feel it's a contract).

I really feel this thread has made a strong showing to keep early access to beta apps to paid Emby supporters.   Also, this thread makes me feel developers need to tell forum members less of the roadmap to avoid these whiney threads.

Going forward, let's stop the conspiracy theories and expect every unsupportive comment to slow the VOLUNTEERS wish to work on the project and the overall progress.  Whining about it will not make it go any faster (just the opposite).

And as usual you completely ignore vast elements of what I posted in order to support your own viewpoint. Re-read what I said. I simply explained why people are posting the questions they are. At no point did I demand, nor expect a release date. If you read my post, you will see that what I did in fact say was that after a dev has said they are going to do something AND THEN doesn't, you will get questions from the community. I did not say that nothing was happening, nor did I say that I want this software now so I will completely ignore this made up element of your post.

If Theatre had not been teased a number of times and comments made by leading devs about betas and blog posts, then no-one would be waiting for it. That was the point I made and the one you clearly chose to ignore. I actually agree that new projects should be held back for longer if this is necessary until it reaches a point where it is ready to show. However, Emby has a record of showing upcoming software prior to a release. It is this precedent which has led to people expecting to see the same here, not people simply 'berating' devs as you put it. It is unfair to expect users to know that this is not going to happen in this case without it clearly being said that this is the case.

Finally, whilst some have made comments I would agree are 'whining' as you put it, simply lumping everyone (including emby supporters) into a bracket of 'trolls' was the part of your comment I took exception to. It was unnecessary and insulting. The vast majority of comments in this thread have been positive and are genuine emby supporters asking genuine questions. I dont disagree that there are other solutions available, I infact use them myself and have no intention of switching to MBT. Comments such as yours will simply hurt Emby as a whole. New users coming to the forum seeking answers will see such comments and believe the community is unwelcoming. Maybe you should consider that.

• Like 1

Vidman

Stop expecting too much from those that volunteer their time. In addition, your conspiracy theories about the status of the project only hurt your chances of getting what your asking.

Your berating comments for developers to "show" their current work or suggesting nothing is happening (i.e. developers are lying) is "trolling" IMO. You are owed nothing to be shown to you...even if it is promised last year and not delivered till the next year. In my opinion, your constant comments repeating the same demands over and over...are nothing more than entitled whining. Going forward I will replace "trolling" with "whining" to keep things civil.

Also, the posting of alternatives of Emby Apps (for basic) or Kodi (for advanced needs) will meet all the current NEEDS of any HTPC enthusiast. So while you WANT something new, to get what is being asked from a feature perspective, everything is available in the current ecosystem (except a product called Emby Theater).

The Emby team has stated (with my comments):

• That Emby Theater is being worked on (slowly)
  • Their are plenty of options in the meantime. Every feature requested has a working solution (albeit not called Emby Theater - If you don't like the look or prefer something else, write the solution yourself or go find something better)
  • There was plenty of work being done (like syncing and streaming) delivered over the last year.
  • There is not ETA of a release product. (Anything provided previously was a best guess at the time, but consider it essentially void if your one of the posters that feel it's a contract).
I really feel this thread has made a strong showing to keep early access to beta apps to paid Emby supporters. Also, this thread makes me feel developers need to tell forum members less of the roadmap to avoid these whiney threads.

Going forward, let's stop the conspiracy theories and expect every unsupportive comment to slow the VOLUNTEERS wish to work on the project and the overall progress. Whining about it will not make it go any faster (just the opposite).

Well it seems emby is becoming more of the business than a community project now with newer features requiring payment or subscription and there are a few full time emby employees and so they are not just volunteering their free time and users are not demanding things...they are paying customers

If I could offer a bit of friendly advice to the developers from a fellow software developer... don't announce a product until you're ready to show it.

• Like 4

I think if they didn't announce it people would be too upset by the lack of updates to the current Emby Theater due to work being done on the updated version.

Thats true however that is again caused by the fact that MBT was released in a very early alpha form. Had that not been done, people would have expected less. This comes down to the issue of if you release early versions of software, people expect to see progress such as the kodi nightly builds. If you hold back longer and release a more stable version as per plex, you get less questions but equally less excitement and less feedback. I personally think the issue here is Emby is using bits of each by putting early versions out or early teases but then using the plex method of releasing when stable. Again, just my opinion.

I hope the theme functions aren't too hard to pick up for a non programmer like me... :)

Edited by MndWrp

Koleckai Silvestri

Sounds interesting. Though I can't tell much difference in the screenshots. Will install the beta when it is available. I hope my viewing issues are fixed because I don't want to go through the hassle of external players. Nothing was said about mouse and keyboard support either. Hopefully that is in there. Would be nice to hit the M key and have the system go to the M movies.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

Awesome! The preview looks fantastic. I love that it will have theme support, as well.

the new Emby Theater renders at resolution without any form of UI scaling.

This is fantastic news, and one of the things I dislike most about the current version of ET (aside from the fact that it crashes when it tries to load my massive library)... it looks like butt at 1080p and higher.

I'm getting a Surface Pro 4 and a Lumia 950 this fall, and will very much appreciate all the extra hard work you guys put in to make this app scalable for multiple resolutions.

Edited by z0mbi

Just read the teaser and it sounds great! The two things I was hoping to see were being able to start theatre with green mce button and some 3d advances similiar to what kodi is able able to do, especially with their v16 alphas.

Actually...noticed in one of the screenshots that there was a category called Games. In the "is MBT the poor relation" thread, the gamebrowser developer asks some questions and alludes to updating Gamebrowser. Has there been progress on that front?

i'm not really aware of any problems with games. games are configurable in the current app via external players and that's how they'll continue to be. somebody once reported an issue that it was difficult to launch retro arch because the external player command line requirements weren't possible to satisfy in the MBT UI. I believe I asked that person to find all of the requirements and get them to me, and they never did. So games will largely be dependent on how much help we get. If nobody wants to help then the launching capabilities will probably continue to be limited to just executable path and basic arguments.

Ho Luke, was referring to not having to edit xml files or using program launcher. The plugin developer mentioned updating gamebrowser so thatscwhy I was asking. Aporeciate the rapid response.

As for starting with the green button, that would have to be handled by an external program as MBT can't start itself :).

Starting Emby theatre with the green button is easily done and does not require an external program. Simply pin Emby to the task bar and edit the registry entry for the green button to win + 1 to start the first pinned app. Win + 2 for the second, etc.

I've been using this method with both win 8 and 10. Work perfectly

You can also remap the other buttons if you wish as well as enabling the Xbox media center remote

Edited by James
  • Like 1

Ho Luke, was referring to not having to edit xml files or using program launcher. The plugin developer mentioned updating gamebrowser so thatscwhy I was asking. Aporeciate the rapid response.

I believe you are referring to this post?

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/10236-is-mbt-the-poor-relation/?p=247331

Redshirt (original gamebrowser developer) shows an interest in contributing to the MBT gamebrowser plugin but I don't see a response from Luke or anyone else in regards to it...

Starting Emby theatre with the green button is easily done and does not require an external program. Simply pin Emby to the task bar and edit the registry entry for the green button to win + 1 to start the first pinned app. Win + 2 for the second, etc.

I've been using this method with both win 8 and 10. Work perfectly

You can also remap the other buttons if you wish as well as enabling the Xbox media center remote

Well, the OS itself is the external program in that instance, but that is a good solution!

• Like 1

AdrianW

Nothing was said about mouse and keyboard support either. Hopefully that is in there. Would be nice to hit the M key and have the system go to the M movies.

Mouse, keyboard and remote are all supported. Hitting a letter to skip to the first entry for that letter isn't there yet, it's an important feature which I've raised in the dev thread more than once, so I'm hoping it will get added at some point.

Mouse, keyboard and remote are all supported. Hitting a letter to skip to the first entry for that letter isn't there yet, it's an important feature which I've raised in the dev thread more than once, so I'm hoping it will get added at some point.

I'm surprised this still isn't there yet, it's been requested many times since the very first release of MBT. I'm hoping (but doubtful) that the "triple-tap" method is in there as well, since it is the quickest way to navigate large collections with a remote, and has also been requested many times.

• Like 1